• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What First Attracted You to Pokemon? What Keeps You Playing?

Stardust .

I honestly don't remember. I think it could have been seeing Kyogre on the box for Pokemon Sapphire that made me want it..

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Well, I was a little kid. Pokemon was a cartoon, A. It's pretty, B. What's not for a 6 year old kid not to get into? I loved the idea of being my own Pokemon trainer and catching my own Pokemon. As soon as I got over Ash, I started making my own characters and having their own Pokemon. The Pokemon games helped a lot too.

Why am I still here? Because until now, I feel the same way. My imagination is free to do whatever I want with Pokemon. The games however, and I guess Serebii, are what feeds me now. I stopped with the anime and manga.

tmega90

Pokemon Trainer
The first time I saw a Pokemon was on the back of an old lunchables box that someone had at school. I saw the cool looking animals and fell in love. I then started watching the show.

What keeps me playing is that Pokemon is very important to me. I like it so much! It is one of my favorite things.

Last edited:
I was introduced to Pokemon by the anime. But there wasn't anything super awesome that really attracted me at first site, no, when I watched TV at that age, it was more "stare at the pretty colours". I suppose it was on a channel easy to find, and the colours were amusing. Then as I actually "watched" the show, it became an integral part of my childhood, and almost a routine.

Now, however, I've moved on more to the video games rather than the anime. What keeps me going is competitive battling, and seeing what Gamefreak does next. I love competitive battling because of how mathematical it all is, and anyone who knows me knows how much of a maths geek I am. Seeing Pokemon as numbers actually brings in a whole new level of fun, entertainment, and interest, rather than take it away as some people think.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
I may have seen the show before, but I wasn't really interested. I remember seeing an ad and thinking "Oh, it's a transforming robot Pokémon, how typical of a boy's series" (the 'robot' in question was actually Deoxys =P). It was only until my brother got a Torchic doll that things began to get going. He also got a Gengar and a Poliwhirl (we knew them as Spikey and Swirly).

Then I got one. Unlike those two, I called it by its real name - Jigglypuff. We watched more of the show, went on the official site and got a couple of games, eager to know more. My favourite Pokémon went from Jigglypuff, to Celebi, to Bulbasaur, before settling on my absolute favourite even today - Jirachi. I didn't know about event Pokémon back then, but thankfully I have a Jirachi of my own today.

Then I got Pearl, my first main game. My brother got Leaf, a Turtwig. I chose Piplup (I didn't know Dawn had a Piplup then, I chose it since I liked Empoleon). It was FEMALE! Mumble is now a level 100 Empoleon. =] And the obsession just went from there.

Why I still like it? It's because it never gets old. There's always catching, training and shiny hunting for me to do. Unlike platformers, which I can get 100% complete and then rarely play, Pokémon stays interesting - especially since there's a new set of them every few years.

I also like it simply for the 'mons themselves. My 'special 132' (132 individuals that include gen fivers, which I plan to train to level 100) are simply the most appealing to me, whether it is cuteness, coolness, elegance or simply what it's based on. There's so much variety, and I know that NOBODY will have the exact same Pokémon as me. It's creating my own characters in a story, I can make them deep and complex, cheerful or scared, energetic or lazy, kind or stubborn. Everyone plays their game differently, and I'm proud of how I play it.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
That's kind of a hard question for me... But I can tell you what got me back into Pokemon! My friend was playing Pokemon quite a bit and I saw the movie Giratina and the Sky warrior. Afterwards a Clerk at Gamestop asked me if I would like to preorder Pokemon Platinum so I did and it just went from there.

Owl

G-Rank Hunter
One of my Ex Girlfriends got me into it, I watched the anime as a little kid, and I Played the games on and off.

Now I'm a full fledged addict, that trades with himself.

DR.gonzo

i dont really recall how i came about to find out about pokemon,

though my earliest memory is of buyin pokemon blue from my mams catalouge when seeing blastoise on the front cover and was looking for a new game . im unsure if i knew of it before this or not .

but i know pokemon the first movie is a massive earlier memory for me, watching a pirated vhs a lad had brought back from holiday of it, i think thats when it really kicked in,

i can also remember running home from school with my mate richard everyday for a week, after we seen pokemon yellow for pre order in a catalogue to, i can remember the day so clearly, bursting through my front door, almost wrestling each other to see if it had arrived, we both fell into the front room, and stood and seen to small brown cardboard packages on the table, the feeling of seeing the yellow box and the pickachu art work was an amasing feeling, i sat at read the boxer over and over and over before i dared open it and play .

my 15th birthday i had orderd a special "pokemon" N64 with pokemon stadium.
( not the gay blue one with a massive yellow pickachu, but the half blue, half yellow one with pictures of charizard,venusaur etc down each side.

i know pokemon stadium started something massive for me, and a bunch of close mates, all gettin the differnt version, becomin rivals. and loving it all ,

never been into the episodes much though apart from the first series, and got back into DP episodes,

ive had nearly all the original GB games,

blue,yellow,silver,gold,ruby,shappire,emerald,diomand,pearl,platinum,black(jap) .

and now waiting on white to arrive when released in march...

ive never followed a game series so much before and had so much fun like i have with pokemon, may this long continue .. though i am gettin old now lol,

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
Originally, it was either getting the little toys from toys-r-us, or watching the show when it wasn't really bad and predictable...good times...
I also remember getting the 1st generation Pokedex from the show (this was a bit later). I still have it. :D

Last edited:

RocketTwurpSLR

pokemonmaniacSLR
the sticker book

my brothers fault he persuaded me and now im just a pokemonmaniac

ABSOLute Zer0

Dragon Trainer
Well, I was in 1st grade and the first generation had just came out. I knew a lot of people who liked pokemon and I heard about it all the time. I came to learn some of the characters and then finally I bought a Pokemon Handbook. Anyone else still have theirs?
I learned every pokemon in that book and have liked it ever since. However, I didn't start playing the video games until Ruby and Sapphire came out.

Rey Alejandro

GOKAI CHANGE!
Well, I initially got into pokemon when I saw that old commercial where the bus driver crushes all the pokemon into a game boy. I saw all the colorful animals and them using special powers and stuff, and thought "THIS IS AWESOME." Realizing that I already had an unused game boy, I got Blue. Then I started watching the show. Hence, Yellow. Then I kept going because by the time I beat the Pokemon League, Gold and Silver came out.

I'm still playing because the games are fun, and I have to complete the pokedex. I will do it. Eventually. The main reason I play new games are for the Pokedex-completion.

Blackbomber72

Eccentric
i saw the anime in my early youth, but i started playing until the 3rd gen, with Fire Red. I like training, battling, and a lot of features, such as contests, or even regular mini-games

I got this pokemon promotional vhs when blue and red were coming out. I would watch that video nonstop. I thought it was amazing. So I got pokemon blue and I have been hooked since. I need to locate my pokemon hand book XD

M4zz

Banned
Another thing that got me hooked on Pokemon were those lolipop candies with the Pokemon figurines inside them. I collected them.

I'd seen the ad and knew there were all these different animals and since i love animals that was the first thing that attracted me. I didn't become obsessed until my cousin had one of the games and a pokemon R+B master guide with a shiny red cover.

In there i saw the wide variety of the animals and was so intrigued at how they were all so different and had special moves and thier artwork.

I persusaded my grandad to buy me a master guide before i had the games, mines has a shiny blue cover =P

Then i was hooked forever.

Now i stay with it for the fact that i still enjoy it mainly the games and the cards. I also like the Ev training and shiny catching aspects of the games.

Thanks to this site another reason why i keep to the franchise is that i've recently been trading with people from all over the place and i find that to be such a wonderful thing! I've obtained a pokemon that i really wanted and i have two more that could be mines aswell. I've also made others happy by supplying pokemon they wanted =3

It's all so good!

leader_proxima

Team Dimension #1
Aw my greatest memory is the time i got addicted to pokemon.
The thing that attracted me to it was a big picture of Starmie that my teacher had on the classroom wall. I asked him about it one day and he told me everything about a world where small creatures battle with each other. And i was drawn in.

Crumbles

Me and my step-bro used to watch the anime every so often when it would be on in the mornings before school and we'd both be transfixed and knew and would sing both the english opening and pokerap every morning [We were teh cool kids at school :p]

Then round about the time I was 7, my step-brother had pokemon yellow and I was so friggin jealous. I had to wait 5 months until my step-bro had got it and I got it as at the time my parents would only ever get us really good gifts if it was our birthday or christmas, unfortunately as christmas had been and gone as he got his gameboy and pokemon in March.

I still to this day remember going out to woolworths when it was still around in the UK looking at the game boys and copies of pokemon and when my birthday came I was the most happiest child you had ever seen, my gameboy didn't leave my grubby 8 year old hands for 2 years after that until gold and silver came out in which it again didn't leave my hands for another year.

God I loved my childhood...

The only negative thing I remember was one time my parents bought me a pocket pikachu instead of the gameboy originally, no doubt it would have been cheaper and that was the reason they purchased this originally instead of a gameboy and pokemon r/b/y. I was partially happy with it and did like having a small pika companion but could still remember my step-bro taking the pee because our parents didn't know the difference between these gadgets...

Qymaen

Petals and Leaves
Pokemon: Sapphire, I believe got me into Pokemon, along with the Pokemon Seasons 3-5. I have at least one game from each generation except for G2.

samhain88

Magikarp trainer
Well, I love nature. Alot of the cards had cool backgrounds of like valleys and hills.