• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What First Attracted You to Pokemon? What Keeps You Playing?

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
I remember a friend let me play his Pokémon Yellow or something on his Gameboy Color for a while, and I wasn't really much a gamer, besides the occassional Sonic the Hedgehog game on the old Sega (never bothered getting newer consoles before Gamecube came out), so it was a totally new kind of game to me. Thought it was totally cool you were able to walk through virtual towns and talk to people, even though I didn't know much English back then.xD He gave me a GBC emulator and the Yellow ROM to play with, which I did for a while, then later bought my own GBC + Pokémon Crystal when it just came out.=P Played that for ages.
Also used to play with the cards at school for a year, which was pretty fun. Even watched the anime for a while, but got bored of that after some weeks.

Randomness

He is already here.
Um...the anime?No, wait, the cards. Well, either way,i first learned about pokemon thanks to one of them and i discovered the games 4 years later(I didn't have a video game system)

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
i can not honestly remember. the farthest back i can remember is me and my friend pretedning to be pokemon when we were 6 or 7, then i got saphhire

Aquarelle

Staff member
I got into Pokemon when I first saw the anime when I was five. I don't really know why it "attracted" me into liking the franchise; I just ended up seeing the show by chance when my mom didn't turn the channel after the show that aired before it was over, and I guess I just liked it. I then got really into Pokemon, collecting cards and toys. I got my first game (Gold) when I was nine and began reading Pokemon manga when I was thirteen.

I'm still playing Pokemon because I think it's fun. It's just something that I find entertaining and relaxing. I also like how Pokemon helps me exercise my imagination; I'm always thinking up stories about Pokemon characters.

mario_fan

Kawaiibunkle
I liked the fact that each pokemon was different and no two were the same *coughelementalmonkeyscough* i also liked that each pokemon were used for different things i.e shuckle for defenses blissey as a cleric lucario fas a sweeper....also the pretty shiny colors!

WIZkid1696

Sarcasm is fun!
I enjoy how you have to think about what you are doing.

Unlike some popular games here in the U.S.... Im looking at you Call of Duty!

Rocketeer

K-9 Brigade
The way you can make the game entirely to your own hand (except the storyline) is very appealing to me.

finalname09

Na Na Niii
First attracted from the anime. The 1st season! Well, basically.

What kept me playing is that it's always amazing to start a Pokemon adventure in a different region and the feeling of it in general. I wouldn't care much about knowing that there are new Pokemon again and again, as long as I can still play the games and enjoy them like I still do!

Piemonster24

Americus Heracrosius
Ah, good times. The kid next to me on the bus had it in and just watching him sucked me in. To this day, there is almost nothing better than the smell of spring and a new pokemon game.

crazysteve1001

How can you hate it?
i dont even remember what got me on pokemon i just dont want to stop lol

abraxas

Words.
What first attracted me was when the commericals started playing on tv for it when it first came out, and I saw that the idea behind the game was catching and training these little monsters, I was hooked, being that, as a kid, those were my kind of games. That's still part of the reason why I play to this day; I'm a sucker for monster training games. That, and I like the design of the Pokemon, and I always love to see what comes next with it.

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
interesting... actually i think it could be the raising and battling part that attracts me so than the pokemon designs. even so, i am still hazy why i am still playin it?

Sponge

Well I first got Pokemon Yellow for my birthday (I was probably about 6) along with a GBC. What hooked me was the different pokemon designs and traveling with a team battling other trainers. There was a big feeling of achievement when I beat a gym leader/got through a trail of trainers to the next city.

What keeps me going now is pretty much the same thing, the sense of a journey and I do get attached to the pokemon I catch. Plus I love the collecting aspect of the games. Moreso since we got wifi so I could actually try to get all the pokemon. (while before it was never viable cause I knew nobody who played pokemon)

ashgirl92

Blazing Glory...
I think I was about... oh 7 or 8 when the anime came out. I watched it when I could, and I really liked it. I didn't get hooked until I went over to my cousin's house when I was... 10? He had Silver, and he let me play it. I remember moving the character into a patch of grass.. and boom! A Zubat appeared, and I had to fight using the Todd. my cousin had. I was very impressed, and that night I evolved it and begged my parents for the game. I got Ruby, then sapphire.. and a bunch of games later I have to say I am hooked.

I don't exactly know why I am hooked. Maybe it's the sense of adventure, or taming wild creatures and becoming friends with them. I honestly don't know. All I know that it is addicting and I will probably never stop playing it : )

PersianStrike

I first got into Pokemon when I got Pokemon Gold and a Game Boy Color for my 5th birthday. Then I got Pokemon Yellow and I got into the series like mad. The reason I keep playing it is because its hard to get all the pokemon you want and level them up to 100(without rare candies). Also with the introduction of the GTS its quite fun trading pokemon with random trainers. I've yet to battle online but when I level up my team, I'll be sure to try it out.

Adeku

Formerly Torterra14
I'm not really sure lol. I do remember myself and my older brother waking up early on Saturday to watch the anime when I was around 5 years old.