• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Games Did You Beat in 2019?

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
There was a What Games Did You Beat in 2018 thread, and I remember writing a long post on the couple dozen games I had beaten, with little bite-sized reviews of each of them, and I remember having a lot of fun with that, so I decided to make that a yearly thing and make this thread for this year. Tell us what games you've beaten this year! They don't have to be games that you started this year or games that came out this year. Just as long as you've beaten them within this year. And why not give a very short summary of how you felt about that game? Alright, here's my list. I'm very surprised there's as many games on it as there are, since there were 23 games on last year's list and I was certain I would only beat half as many this year.

1. Pokémon Let’s Go Eevee- you guys really can’t move past Kanto, can you?; no strats in catching is lame; all my team were named after Gotham characters and that’s rad; Eevee > Pikachu

2. Poi: Explorer Edition- okay, hear me out: it’s a discount Super Mario 64; it’s actually okay for the low price and scratches that 3D platformer itch

3. Dream Daddy- the only acceptable choice is Craig; this is a really good feel-better game

4. Pokémon HeartGold- I was impatient and wanted to revisit the best without deleting my original SoulSilver file; worth it

5. Pokémon X- still better than S&M; the drastic change between 2D to 3D, all the variety you get early on, the music, the QoL improvements; yes the story’s a step back, but I think the pros outweigh the cons

6. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe- finally, a 2D platformer on the Switch!; good for nostalgia

7. Shape of the World- uber-artsy visual game that you might need to look up an (not necessarily correct) interpretation of just to get it.

8. What Remains of Edith Finch- bittersweet; I loved the Barbara section the most; melancholy: the game

9. Type: Rider- a physics game where you roll a period over letters, learning about the actual history of fonts in the process; a really weird way to go about it, but sure

10. 428: Shibuya Scramble- Get this game! If you like complex visual novels then this is it!; subtitles

11. Super Mario Maker 2- Since it has a Story Mode, I’m counting it. Some were in fact quite challenging. I would’ve loved seeing other people’s creation.

12. Mercenaries Saga Chronicles- On the whole, watered down Disgaea games; strip a strat rpg of all its flash and this is what you get; 3, 15 hour games for $15 is a good deal

13. Fire Emblem: Three Houses- I chose Golden Deer; no regret; saved all but 2 students; Dorothea true waifu; one of those popular games that actually deserves the popularity

14. Bertram Fiddle: Episodes 1 & 2- Quirky point and click games that were funny, though the first is funnier than the second.

15. Pokémon Masters- Again, it technically has a Story Mode, and I’ve beaten every event mission at least once, so I consider the game beaten until more Story Mode comes out; strangely addicting with little longevity; still haven’t gotten Karen

16. Batman: Arkham Asylum- for my writing reasons and out of personal curiosity, I got Return to Arkham (Asylum and City); Asylum is still the best, fight me; it looked better on X360

17. Limbo- Did this just to inflate my trophy count game. Still fun to play.

18. Inside- Did this just to inflate my trophy count game. Still fun to play.

19. Greedfall- It’s like a Bioware game, but isn’t; if Mass Effect took place in pre-European North America; but what if it had more brown?!

20. Pokémon Shield- when everyone’s choosing Inteleon/Cinderace, Toxtricity, Corviknight, Grimmsnarl, and 2 wild cards, it seems like there’s no variety at all, which ironically means that the Wild Areas are a complete waste of your time; Professor Magnolia = Professor Useless

21. Sea of Solitude- the game outright says it’s about depression, so there’s your warning; a good platformer with driving elements; the VA could use some work

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
This year was pretty much just me buying PS4 games to figure out what I liked tbh. I bought the console on RDR2's release day.

• Red Dead Redemption 2 - Currently my favourite video game, but imo the realism bogs the game down sometimes. Would very much like a way to sell unneeded weapons.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn - Fun game, can see why it was a nominee for GOTY 2017. Love fighting Thunderjaws, though Stormbirds not so much. The Frozen Wilds DLC is very much worth it for Yellowstone alone.
  • Tales of Berseria - All dungeons were just uninspired corridors. Older Tales games had dungeons with actual puzzles, whereas Berseria's is just "A -> B". Decent game otherwise.
  • Yakuza 0 - Bought on a whim, enjoyed the game so much I became a Yakuza fan.
  • Yakuza Kiwami - Didn't enjoy as much. The random encounters are too commonplace, not to mention lategame bosses were a joke with Tiger Drop.
  • Yakuza Kiwami 2 - So much better than Kiwami. Bosses weren't reskins of 0's so that was a plus, and Dragon Engine's physics are so much fun to play.
  • The Last of Us Remastered - Enjoyed it right up to the start of the Winter chapter. That part pretty much just drained my urge to finish the game. It's a shame really, I would've placed it among my favourite games of all time had I been able to complete it.
  • Judgment - Great game, RGG played things too safe. Could've been so much better had it taken more risks.
  • Okami - As great as it looked when I first watched Chuggaaconroy's LP years ago. Worth picking up for sure, so glad I bought it through a PSN sale.
  • Pokémon Y - Didn't enjoy as much as I'd hoped. If anything it just reminded me of why I didn't like Gen VI.
  • Pokémon Sapphire - Still holds up 17 years later, even after Emerald and ORAS. Very nostalgic.

Last edited:

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Oh! I like the idea of this thread. Especially since I have quite a few games I want to get through... Note that a few of these games are old because I'm usually behind when it comes to getting games. Anyway, let's see which games I beat this year...

• Octopath Traveler: When I heard of this game, I instantly wanted to get it and boy am I glad I did. I will admit I can see why some people don't like it, mainly its story, but I just loved it. The gameplay was well done and the mechanics were introduced slowly but surely. Each character is helpful and the job system is so far the only one I've wanted to actually experiment with in an RPG. Also first game I've completed 100%! Yes. I beat you know who. Thanks to this strategy involving Alfyn and runes on the first phase and 1-HP Fortitude Olberic in the second phase from a user on gamefaqs whose name I forget at the moment. I love all the characters, but especially Cyrus and Ophelia for their stories, Tressa and Alfyn for their gameplay and unique classes and all four of them for their personalities. Would personally recommend to at least give it a try if you're a huge fan of RPGs like I am.
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Yeah, I decided to play it because of their inclusion in Smash, but I actually started playing it a while ago but stopped for one reason or another. Then Banjo's Smash inclusion was announced and I decided to get back into and well, I can understand why lots of people love this game. I liked the puzzles, I love the music, the sound effects were great and it just felt awesome to collect everything. And I definitely needed it for Gruntilda. Hated anything to do with Clanker's Cavern and Rusty Bucket Bay though.
  • Pokémon Ultra Sun: Originally wanted Ultra Moon because of Lunala but there wasn't a copy of one. But I didn't really mind. I like both Legendaries. I didn't play the original Sun or Moon and only saw a little bit of it from a playthrough my brother watched. So I was personally pleasantly surprised with the game and what changes there were. I really liked the Rainbow Rocket arc and all the wormholes that let you get other Pokémon and Legendaries from other regions. Kind of feel bad that the only Alolan Pokémon I used in my playthrough were my starter and Lycanroc though. Don't feel bad at totally cheesing Ultra Necrozma with my Aegislash. And I don't really understand what was hard about the totems, but that's just me. Also Colress. Loved his part in Rainbow Rocket, however brief.
  • Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: I enjoyed playing Gaiden (yes I'm not kidding) and Sacred Stones so I was excited to play this and I was right. I did have fun with this. This was some of the best way to do supports I've seen that was closer to the GBA games, at least until Three Houses anyway. Unfortunately, I still haven't beaten the stupid post-game dungeon...especially since I want to see Grima!
  • Castlvania: Aria of Sorrow: My first Castlevania game and personally glad I picked it. I had fun with the "dungeon" that was Dracula's castle this time around. I liked to hunt for abilities and see which ones suited my playstyle. The bosses were hard but reasonable, like the ever famous Death and the final boss. I also have a soft spot for the kind of character Soma Cruz is revealed to be at the end. And yes, just like Banjo, I was influenced by Smash but really, Castlevania has been in my list of game series I wanted to play.
  • Fire Embkem Fates: Conquest: Yeah, yeah, the game(s) everyone hates and I don't blame them, but I really, really loved the gameplay. It was challenging and so satisfying coming up with strategies for the units I picked. Well, minus the nightmare that's Chapter 10, but otherwise I love it. It improved everything from Awakening and included My Castle, which was a feature I ended up loving. Shame the supports were mixed and that the children are shafted to the side because they seem more of an afterthought. But I liked the child units. Particularly Kana (yes, Kana), Shigure, Velouria and Nina. Especially Velouria. She ended up as my boss killer by the last few chapters.
  • Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilenma: Putting them together because, simply put, I beat them one after the other and I couldn't just leave the series at just VLR. I know VLR ends in a, well, good ending that ties everything up but I think anyone who's played this game knows it has a gigantic sequel hook as well. And as someone who loved 999, well, short version, if you loved it, you should totally play the last two games. But anyways, the games themselves... I really loved the stories for both. It was such a mind screw yet still made sense in the context of the story. The puzzles were sometimes annoying, but they were still solvable if you keep your head on and calm. Also, thank everything there wasn't a sudoku unlike in the first game. I will say that I didn't like the jump to 3D in ZTD but, again, the story is still worth it. So many twist and turns and foreshadowing... Some of which I was proud to say I caught but won't say since it'll spoil the story. If you like suspense, puzzles, mystery and visual novels, I'd totally recommend these games. Just know you basically have to get every ending to get the true ending so it'll be a long investment.
There's probably other games I beat, but I can't remember them at the moment. I'll edit them in if no one else posts before I remember.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I don't tend to play games that you can "beat", per se, but I did beat Pokemon Sword and GreedFall for the first times this year, and replayed Doom 2016, Borderlands 2, Pokemon Ultra Sun, and Metal Gear Rising, even though I've previously beaten those games.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I beat Pokemon Sword like 3 days ago and I'm so proud because I did it with minimal help so it feels like a bigger achievement than most games I've beaten with help...