• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which starter did you pick

• Emboar

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Serperior

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • Samurott

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • I didn’t use a starter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I think in black I picked Emboar,Black 2 I picked Samurott,White I picker Serperier,and White 2 I picked Emboar.

TwilightBlade

I chose all three Unova starters when I played Black, White and White 2. I technically chose Tepig again in Black 2 but I immediately stored it and never used it on my Black 2 team.

iCakeify

Luxray Fanboy
i picked serperior first because i liked the look of it but ive picked emboar every other time. i just think samurott looks bad

WalesNote

It was almost alwys Oshawott as his evolution was great, had very good stats, and could do many things. Serperior was lacking in attacking stats, and I love getting Sawsbuck, Liligant or that Whimsicott thing, so I would never choose Snivy. Kind of hate Tepig as it's yet another fire/fighting type, and it was a bit ugly to me in the end. Sorry, bro.

juiccbox

Idiot Extraordinaire
Serperior has been one of my favorite Pokémon ever since it was first released. The BW games were my first real Pokémon games, so Snivy was the first starter I ever chose, so I guess it just has a special place in my heart.

All hail grass snake

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Oshawott is my mascot, duh! Of course I can’t go through Unova without picking him. I also think it’s the best because Emboar is too slow and Serperior isn’t very good without Contrary, and because I love the samurai theme with the line. Dewott is even one of the best-looking middle stage starters too.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Oshawott for White and Snivy for White 2

I've replayed Gen 5 a couple of times and I mostly pick Oshawott because:
1) I like it's design
2) Dewott is awesome
3) It's an all around good mon

I never picked Tepig in any of my playthroughs of Gen 5 and I don't pick Snivy as much anymore because it really got shafted when it comes to its offensive stats. It's not unusable, it's just a pain to have to set up to do a significant amount of damage in a routine fight.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon lover
So my choices and the reasons why I chose them are kinda interesting.

I have played every generation of Pokemon since the original games, and before Black and White I had always chosen the grass starter. While many of the water and fire starters were cool too, this was my tradition and I loved them all. Now, Black and White were the first games where I was actually online to see the community's reactions and opinions on all things Pokemon. It was exciting, seeing so many others loving this franchise as much as I did. Then, the starters were originally revealed. At first I really liked the grass starter. I remember a lot of people liking Snivy (Smugleaf at the time as we had no official names). I also remember seeing quite a bit of love for Tepig (Since this was before the reveal of its fighting evolutions). However, the amount of hate that I remember seeing both for Oshawott and those who were willing to show their love for it was staggering to me.

Now, I've become very accustom to the various sides of the Pokemon community over the years and also know that these types of actions are done by a minority within the fandom so now I'm not bothered by it too much. But back then when I was new to it all though, I felt infuriated. It didn't help that most that were showing this hatred were also the ones praising Snivy as the perfect starter when we still knew so little about them. I grew to resent the little grass snake and grew to love the little otter. Then I remember seeing Dewott and Samurott and that's when I genuinely fell in love with this line. I hate to admit it, but I felt.....would validated be the right word? To see a Pokemon that was being bashed as horrible become such a cool samurai Pokemon felt so satisfying to me. It became (and still is to this day) my favorite water starter of all time and was an absolute powerhouse on my first playthrough of Pokemon White.

Then Black 2 and White 2 came out. At this point my dislike for the Snivy line (Being my least favorite starter line at the time) was still going strong. However, the figurative punching bag had been replaced with the Tepig line which was now considered the worse gen 5 starter line and even the worse starter line of all time by a few very loud members of the fandom. So just like with the Oshawott line, I gravitated towards the Tepig line and picked it for my first Black 2 playthrough. And I had an absolute blast using it. I love this flaming boar so much.

Over the years my hatred for the Snivy line has gone away, having come to realize that hating a Pokemon because of the hatred and toxicity of some people wasn't really fair. Plus I have also grown a huge love of snakes too. So after beating Sun and Moon, I booted up Pokemon White and used a Snivy for the first time. And while it could never overtake my love of Oshawott or Tepig, I loved using it and was very happy I did.

So tldr;
Oshawott for Pokemon White
Tepig for Pokemon Black 2
Snivy is my least favorite out of the three but is still a really cool pokemon.

Alphaeon

I’ve only played a Unova game through once (I have Black), and I chose Snivy. I LOVE its design and the design of its evos...I’m always drawn to the Grass starter too, for some reason.

I can’t speak for the move set compared to the others (since I haven’t played them), but from a purely singleplayer standpoint, my Serperior carried my team hard lol. Coil + Leech Seed + Leaf Blade was amazing.

I like the other Unova starters though, so I’d like to do more playthroughs and try them. I need to try Black 2 or White 2.

Venomshock

I got Snivy in White as my starter but I traded it for someone's Samurott after I beat the league because I thought Samurott was the better starter. Serperior didn't work out.

Nebbygetinthebag

Oshawott was my starter in White 2 and Snivy in White but overall my favorite starter is Oshawott line, I love the samurai theme it has and Dewott has one of the best middle stage evolution design.

Also Samurott cry is badass.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Initially chose Tepig out of pure loyalty to Fire starters in Black and Black 2. I love the entire line and I don’t care for it being the 3rd Fire/Fighting starter line nor that it’s bipedal. One of my favorite memories is sweeping through Alder with my under leveled Emboar. Reckless Emboar is a underrated wall breaker.

In my subsequent White and White 2 runs, I chose Snivy because I like the confidence and loyal aura every stage shows. Serperior is just as fun with Coil or Contrary Leaf Storm.

Don’t like Oshawott or Samurott but Dewott is really cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.