• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What gets you in the zone for writing?

Scaldaver

Limitless
I came up with this to try to help anyone with writer's block to overcome the problem. Just volunteer what helps you write in the environment, e.g.,

For me, I listen to I am the Doctor to help me feel all dramatic and gets my ideas flowing. I find it hard to write when there's nothing going on in the background, I get too bored otherwise. Because of this, I am comfortable to write almost everywhere.

So, is there anything you do to get yourself to overcome writer's block or get your ideas flowing?

Jonah the Slaking

Couch-bound Warrior
I'm inspired to write by all kinds of things. It really depends most on the weather or the sounds I hear.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
For me, personally, it can be any time of the day, when I'm listening to music, on the computer, or whenever I open up the document. It helps me get into the zone when I read through what I have written over time to remember how the story goes, and where it's headed. Then I tend to force myself to start writing. If I don't, I loose the interest for the day.

So it mostly varies at times. My muse is just generally not a satisfied muse.

diamondpearl876

Music usually gets me in the mood to write. Also, I can't write if I have anything else planned for the day. When I write, I write for a good part of the day, and knowing that I'll have to stop in 2-3 hours or something just makes me not want to write at all. Other than that, I can pretty much write anytime, anywhere.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
It just kinda happens. I further the mood with music. I find that music that suits the mood helps my writing improve drastically and I just love listening to it.

Shadowy Arceini

(insert title here)
This might sound weird, but I'm always inspired by Pokemon or the Legend of Zelda. Really! 90% of my stories were based on video games, like Who are the Mohaitza? or The Chosen Unicorn.

Alliance

Re-Arrival
Generally, I'm inspired by music, and even various little tidbits of the thins I read.
In example, a story of mine that never got published began life as me writing stuff after hearing a song that I THINK was called 'Promise of a Lifetime'
I just screwed the story over, so that doesn't count.

Sometimes images also inspire me. If I need a little boost in ways of choosing a fandom or getting ideas, I'll google images my favorite fandoms and various characters, and capture some of the things I see and use them.

Generally, I get motivated by anything art related. Music, drawings, writing ect.

Astinus

Well, to overcome writer's block, I don't think about writing. I close my notebooks, walk away from my desk, and don't try to think about my stories. After a while, the answer to what has gotten me stuck will come to mind, and I can continue writing.

What helps me get in the mood for writing is music, of course. Video game music (since it's lyric-less) is a must. When it's time for me to write, I just sit at my desk, put on some music, and write. The muses like their scheduled times for writing. If I wait for them to want to write, it'll never happen. (Ha.)

AwesomeReshiram93

THE MANNIS ARISES
Often epic music inspires me. I become a mean writing machine when i listen to music in general as well.

SilentMemento

Lone Wolf
I just retreat into my mind to play out scenes and then proceed to write them from there. It has to be completely quiet, though; I find it impossible to concentrate with any sort of noise, even music.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
Just lay myself on bed, with no disturbing noise (not even music) on the background, and no falling asleep. Then slowly the idea will flow into my mind.

Also, listen to the music related to the canon I wrote will help me in the planning of plot, however not for actual writing of my fic. When I'm writing the chapters, I'll need absolute silence and no people around me within my 3m radius.
Interestingly, I prefer to write my fic chapters when I'm in the library of my university.

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Since I do a lot of fanfictions based on movies and have a lot of characters from different TV shows, watching those movies and TV shows instantly spark what I call NPS. New Plotline Syndrome. My best ideas have come from this. It's a gift and a curse, though...

I also get in the zone whenever I watch a movie or TV show with any one of the actors who play my characters (in my head, of coruse).

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
For me, I have to rely on the spur of the moment inspiration.

Usually when I'm moved by something such as a book I read, a tv show I just watched or a movie I just watched. Listening to music is huge inspiration for me and so is taking a walk on the beach or any other peaceful place. And then again sometimes, I just randomly get into the zone and it comes out of nowhere ha ha :)

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Well for me, I basically trained myself to write every single day. I write whether I feel inspired to or not (sometimes the stuff I write when uninspired is pretty silly, but most of it shows). That took a couple of years and I'm sure that's not for everyone. But to get in the zone for a specific story as I jump between projects often, I'll read a little bit of what I wrote previously, reviewing those ideas and images. Usually that's enough for me to get going.

An-chan

...Huh?
What gets my creative juices flowing is more or less really not having the time to write. Any time I have a major project due or I have to work or school is being crazy, I suddenly get terrible urges to write all the time. Granted, other things do this, too, but it is the most consistent cause of me being inspiration-struck.

Other things include reading really good books or seeing really good movies, because they make me want to create something as amazing myself. There's also NaNo, which invariably makes me explode with things to write about. Really, I should just always set myself word limits and deadlines to churn out the good stuff. Maybe it's not as good in quality, but it's not like first drafts ever are. That's what editing is for. The most important thing is to have something to work with.

Also, likewise, reading what I wrote before usually makes me want to keep writing or at least revise. In some cases it doesn't, but then it's probably because it's just a bad story! :D

PetuniaBubbles

Devoted Spriter
My muse for writing comes from reading good book series and watching anime. After reading a great book, I tend to get really hyped up to start writing. It's not that they give me ideas (though they sometimes do)... it justs makes me want to continue my own story. xD

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
My "zone" for writing always strikes at the least opportune times: When I am falling asleep or when I am driving. It seems like when I'm doing either of those things, the ideas won't stop. And, obviously, they aren't conducive to getting up and writing down notes. I'd probably have a stroke if I could see a list of all the ideas I've lost out on over the years.

As for when I CAN write, I'm incredibly particular. I need to be completely alone and I need absolute silence. No TV, no music, no anything. When I write, I like to get up after every other paragraph or so and start talking the story out to myself aloud. I start acting out scenes and dialogue and the whole thing. Obviously, in the presence of others, this is a little off-putting. :) My fiancee thinks I'm weird, but she constantly has the TV on, and that drives me insane when I am trying to write.