• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What happened to Pokemon Z?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mega Champion

Okay... so... seriously...

What the hell happened to Pokemon Z? All other regions got a third game.

Kanto: Yellow
Johto: Crystal
Hoenn: Emerald
Sinnoh: Platinum
Unova: Black 2 & White 2

Why isn't Kalos getting a third game? Why are they seemingly going straight to 7th gen?

This makes no sense to me whatsoever and if I could get an explanation I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

P.S.: If this is in the incorrect area please move it to the correct area. Thanks again.

Maybe GF just wanted to do something different for a change.

Also, at least the way I see it, BW2 were more sequels, not third games, so... this wouldn't be the first time we didn't receive a third version.

Anyway, I have a feeling this will be locked soon...

Akashin

If there was an explanation, you wouldn't have had to make a thread in the hopes of getting it. You'd have already heard it.

The only thing even approaching an explanation that we have is Game Freak's desire to shake things up. It's too soon to say exactly what is going in with Sun and Moon, though.

The Mega Champion

Sorry but that's not good enough.

I think an explanation for what happened to Pokemon Z is in order here.

NeoDude-5000

Maybe they were developing it but probably did the one thing that would never ever happen, it got postponed. And as result the Z storyline was adapted into the anime (and the XY Chapter of the manga). Basically XY&Z is Z as a game without a game.

Perhaps it was meant for a 2015 release but they wanted to focus on Sun and Moon for the 20th anniversary instead, or perhaps they couldn't think of how to make the plot work in time or whatever.

I personally wanted Z more than Gen 7, but if I were Nintendo and wanted to release either a directors cut or a new game entirely I would go with the latter as it is more special. They probably will have Zygarde's new forms in the new games anyway, Ash-Greninja not a chance.

Akashin

Sorry but that's not good enough.

I think an explanation for what happened to Pokemon Z is in order here.

"Sorry but that's not good enough," isn't going to get you very far on a fan forum of all places.

Not that Game Freak owes you an explanation anyway. Whatever their plan is, Z wasn't it; simple as that.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I just hope Sun and Moon have ZYgarde post game otherwise it's forms and moves would be wasted. Not to mention Eternal Floette which is yet to be available.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
For the record, we were told that Pokemon Z would be a predictable route, and that they (Game Freak) as the developers like surprises.

"For example, if after Black and White we came out with a grey, people would have been expecting that," he said. "Same thing with X/Y and having a Z straight afterwards. So we're always just trying to surprise people."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-director-explains-why-series-is-becoming-e/1100-6422945/

And...Well...Here we are.

Though it does make me wish that Zygarde's complete mythology had been included in XY in the first place, so we wouldn't have to ask these kinds of questions.

Last edited:

The Mega Champion

"Sorry but that's not good enough," isn't going to get you very far on a fan forum of all places.

Not that Game Freak owes you an explanation anyway. Whatever their plan is, Z wasn't it; simple as that.

They do when all other regions got a third game.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I just hope Sun and Moon have ZYgarde post game otherwise it's forms and moves would be wasted. Not to mention Eternal Floette which is yet to be available.

AZ's Floette was probably meant to be obtainable at some point during the main story, but was ultimately scrapped due to a change in the plot. Or AZ was meant to partner up with the player and use that Floette as his main.

your forgetting one other thing that involves the ninja frog.

Why can't the concept behind it be in Sun and Moon?

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Well for one thing

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=pokemon

Look at the lowest selling main series games...all third versions. Obviously the third versions would never sell as much, but maybe that is even less than they expected.

Also like others said, there doesn't have to be a reason other than just gamefreak not wanting to make z and isntead go to gen 7.

Viveshade

What's Next?
A lot of people complain about the third versions not being innovative enough, not having enough content that differentiates it from its parent versions, being a cheap way of getting money from the fans, etc. If Sun and Moon are sequels of XY in the same way that GSC is to RBY, then that would be a fine way of wrapping up Gen VI (though that also depends on how they tie up the loose ends). It would be cool if we could explore Kalos in the post-game as well. If these games take place years after XY, then I hope Kalos would be even more fleshed out.

AceTrainerBen

I think we'll get an explanation one day, even if it's in a bunch of interviews in gaming magazines just prior to the SM releases, similar things have happened before.

1quacka1

Lazy Collector
It definitely feels like Z was in the works and has perhaps been dropped. This gen is being cut off early, we still have Volcanion, Zygarde forms, AZs floette, thousand waves/arrows etc to be released.

My guess is they felt the best way to capatilize on the 20th anniversary was to release a new generation entirely, so Z was dropped in favour of SM

The Mega Champion

Why is GF surprising us such a bad thing?
Why do they need to stick to the same formula every time?

It's too early for Gen 7 and because they're being biased against Kalos by not giving it a third game.

I think we'll get an explanation one day, even if it's in a bunch of interviews in gaming magazines just prior to the SM releases, similar things have happened before.

I hope so because I can't get into Sun and Moon without an explanation as to what happened to Z.

My guess is they felt the best way to capatilize on the 20th anniversary was to release a new generation entirely, so Z was dropped in favour of SM

They could of done the same exact thing by announcing/releasing Pokemon Z instead of a way-too-early 7th gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.