• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What happened to your rival being a rival?

What happened?

• Total voters

BlitzBlast

Busy with School

pokedexfiller

Unova Trainer
i like all the rivals and how they play them in, but i forgot how wally came in... and i never played c/s/c

Koridojo_Blaziken

Rival: A person who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another.

As found on an online dictionary. By looking at this definition, there is no indication that the other person needs to have opposite characteristics in their personality, or that they need to be mean. All they need to be doing is to try to compete with you towards a similar goal. And in my opinion, all 4 rivals fit that definition (The ruby/safire friend could be considered as an exception because he/she stops competing with you after a certain point, but until that point he/she is a rival. But the diamond/pearl friend is definitely your rival through and through.)

I don't mind the fact that the personality of the rival changed after gold/silver. I thought it was a nice change to see that your rival was actually a nice person.

Gee, you mean kinda like our rivalry in coming up with one apocalyptic fanfic scene of doom after the other, eh? :p

But seriously, rivals are technically just somebody competing against you in a certain field. That doesn't necessarily mean the rival is a jerk, though it may be common for them to be aggressive in reaching their goal. Heck, my friends and I all compete in who can draw or write the best, and we've all remained happy and bubbly and dumb when we're around each other. ^^

PaniniDevotee

Pokemon Coordinator
I like the rebellious rival idea not an encouraging friend. HGSS will fix this though so no worries~

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
Brendan and May are rivals? Huh? No way. Wally's your rival. He's a friendly rival too.
Like, with Lucas/Dawn and Hibiki/Kotone, neither Brendan or May are your rival.

riolulu

<riolulu_sppf.exe>
I have to say I agree with you. The whole "rival" thing wasn't even IN the hoenn series TV show, and it seemed as if pokemon got a lot more "yay let's love everyone! educational message! make loads of friends!" and is less....cool. I watched a DP episode and Ash was all "PAUL IS SO ANNOYING! POKEMON IS ABOUT BONDING!!" wasn't pokemon about battling in the original games? What happened to Gary teasing ash all the time? I liked that. :\ Pokemon got super lame, I have to say.

~riolulu

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I watched a DP episode and Ash was all "PAUL IS SO ANNOYING! POKEMON IS ABOUT BONDING!!" wasn't pokemon about battling in the original games? What happened to Gary teasing ash all the time? I liked that. :\ Pokemon got super lame, I have to say.

~riolulu

I have to say, if you watched the first season and missed the copious amounts of "POKEMON IS ABOUT BONDING", you're blind.

Also, Gary's still teasing Ash whenever he shows up. Somewhat.

SapphireGeno

Silver forever <3
I miss Rival Silver... but thank goodness he's coming back in HG/SS... C:
I actually like how it went from a mean rival to a friendly person in R/S/E... but they shouldn't have even been called rivals. They should have just been called friends instead, because yeah they seemed more that way. Afterwards I really missed real rivals, I wanted them to make a comeback. And they are, in HG/SS, cant wait C:

kumargowda1983

The perfect example of a rival I'd say is the rival from R/B/Y, since he was competitive, and, well, you were actually rivals. Second, I'd say is Barry. Even though you're friends, he makes it seem as if he's constantly trying to one-up you. But every once in a while he's nice, too, so it's not a complete rivalry. So he'd be the second best. ??? from G/S/C I wouldn't consider a rival, since he's just someone you bump into a lot and he steals stuff and etc etc, and Brendan/May (as someone else stated you can't change their names, which sucks) I'm not really sure what to classify it as. It's more as if you're their student in the beginning. I think for the next generation, a rival should be someone you encounter in the very first town you travel to, you meet them, accidentally battle, or you guys get into a situation where you battle with them, and then they're all like "What's your name? Well next time I'm gonna battle you" and then they run off. I don't think they should have any relation to the professor, or live in your hometown. And throughout the game when you meet him he should be all negative, and competitive. Oh and if you chose the male protagonist, the rival should be male, but if you chose a female protagonist, the rival should be female. And there should also be a friend that you meet somewhere in the game that is of the opposite gender of your protagonist and you meet them throughout the story and they're just your friend.

Nebbio

NINJA!
They went south for winter. :)

riolulu

<riolulu_sppf.exe>
I have to say, if you watched the first season and missed the copious amounts of "POKEMON IS ABOUT BONDING", you're blind.

Also, Gary's still teasing Ash whenever he shows up. Somewhat.

Well yeah, it was about bonding, but they also kinda cared about battling too. I just think that Ash is a little obsessed with the whole bonding thing, and more so than he used to be. And yeah but...Gary is gone. :\

~riolulu

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Well yeah, it was about bonding, but they also kinda cared about battling too. I just think that Ash is a little obsessed with the whole bonding thing, and more so than he used to be. And yeah but...Gary is gone. :\

~riolulu

Not... really.

Bonding with your pokemon is a proven strategy to help a trainer win. I could go into detail why, but there really wouldn't be much of a point.

If anything, Ash has gotten more serious, as there are more scenes of him training then before.

And Gary occasionally pops up for a cameo.

Blaperile

Blaziken rules!
Actually, to me they're still rivals, but they're just friendlier now.

Mewten150

well the only one i'd say isnt exactly ur rival is may, she is more like a friendly rival, and the others are your rivals, but are still friends(well, apart from silver)

Fataal

Lone Archetype
So rivals have to be antagonistic towards you? :/

Of course. Everyone needs a rival that pushes to the edge and makes you want to say i can't wait to pound that guys Pokemon into the dust.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Of course. Everyone needs a rival that pushes to the edge and makes you want to say i can't wait to pound that guys Pokemon into the dust.

That's not really the definition of rival. That's more fitting of the term jerkass.

rook09

Of science.
i liked the first gen rival the best, he was the hardest to beat, the third gen rival was pathetic (really really pathetic, I found breeder Isaac harder) and the 4th gen rival was ok, but I wouldn't know about the second gen rival as I have never played it :(

Sketchy

Scientist

Haha, yes, whereas it can be sometimes nice to have a more friendly rival, I the RBY/ GSC rival is great for getting rid of frustration. Bring back GSC rival. He was my favourite rival.