• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What happens to the Champion?

Last Sunday I was leveling up my Pearl team while fighting with E4 when I thought of a question.
Well we can fight with E4 numerous time. But actually what happens to the Champion after we have defeated her\him. There are two options:
1) Either s\he becomes a E4 member (then what happens to first\weakest E4 member of that specific region).
2) Or s\he return to his normal trainer rank.
What do u people think? Is there any other viable option.

I have one question too. How can a person become a E4? We beat the E4 many times and sometimes get beaten up by the Champion so aren't we supposed to become a E4 then.

rocky505

I've wondered this myself. Look at Blue he was the champ in RBY/LGFR and then dropped to a gym leader in GSC/HGSS

It would be nice if we could hold the title as "Champion" in game and be challenged at random times by various strong trainers (perhaps the rival).

coston89

Lurker of Legend
Well, this may not be canon, but I see Champion as more of a rank than title. It shows you are able to hand the Elite Four their heads, and are among the most powerful of all the trainers in the world. The older Champs never go anywhere, you just joined the ranks.

As for Blue becoming a Gym Leader, he still hold champion rank. He just runs the gym because, with Giovanni retired, the league needed another gym leader. He was most likely the first to volunteer.

Last edited:

Snicker

The Grinning One
Oh, well, y'know. Since the Champion had already beaten the league and everyone else by the time WE got to him/her, he/she really didn't have anything to DO other than just sit there and wait around for someone to come along and beat him/her.

All alone in that metally room. :( That's not really exciting. I always felt that the Champions were actually relieved when we beat them because then they had a new reason to go on another adventure to improve themselves and whatnont. ^^

Mikeh

Veteran Trainer
Well, this may not be canon, but I see Champion as more of a rank than title. It shows you are able to hand the Elite Four their heads, and are among the most powerful of all the trainers in the world. The older Champs never go anywhere, you just joined the ranks.

As for Blue becoming a Gym Leader, he still hold champion rank. He just runs the gym because, with Giovanni retired, the league needed another gym leader. He was most likely the first to volunteer.

I agree with this they probably stay as the ''champion'' The only thing that puzzles me is in emerald Steven gave championship too wallace which is why wallace wasnt the gym leader anymore which returned steven to being a normal trainer? That whole thing never made sense to me unless wallace was a champion in the past and steven just needed some down time

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
A fair few of them run away and mope train in a cave somewhere, like Red and Steven.

That actually makes sense. After all, Cynthia refers to the player as "our newest Pokémon Champion" rather than "the new Pokémon Champion". Maybe there are multiple Champions and one is elected or volunteers to stand as the last challenge in the Pokémon League, or they take turns or something...

Tekka

Daemon Hunter
I know I am grossly over thinking this, but I feel like talking about it anyway.

The elite four in its entirety doesn't make much sense to me. I can suspend disbelief for the gyms and their gradually increasing difficulty and pen that up to game mechanics taking precedence over story mechanics, and the fact that gym leaders would probably live in (or at least near) their respective gyms.

But the elite four and champion system has me scratching my head. To determine the ranking of the strongest trainers, one would assume that the Pokemon League would adopt a tournament system in which those that qualify (by collecting gym badges in place of regional qualifiers) would compete in annually. And the champion for that year would be determined in this fashion.

But as it stands it seems like the game wants us to believe that the five strongest trainers in the region are constantly on call at the Pokemon League "just in case" someone decides they want to challenge them. And of course it would seem that depending on how far these challengers get, the order of the elite four and champion would constantly be changing on a random basis.

It would be such a relatively easy fix to give the illusion that 'this year's tournament' is soon to take place when you reach the league, have you rest up and give you a little splash screen with some text talking about how your character is making their preparations, and then give you the standard four opponents of increasing strength as you progress through the 'rounds', then finally a showdown between you and the last tournament survivor, who happens to be last year's champion/your rival.

Same outcome, better presentation.

Then of course you get the ending and it's as if the league tournament never took place so you can constantly go back to it with no ill effects on the storyline.

But again, far too over thought for a game that doesn't want, nor requires, a system that would make sense in the real world.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
We should become an E4 member/Champion but somehow we don't. Probably because it's just a journey for the gyms & the E4 battles but not for continue the life after you beat them. Actually there is no purpose after you beat them.

Manetric

!sdrawkcaB
It's just another inconsistancy, a device they use to get the player to the end of the game, but then they need the player to carry on so things just carry on with some small changes, a small and insignificant inconsistancy

halloweenghost

once the champ is beaten they are IMO just a former champion that lives on in pokemon league history as champion and are always known as champion Cynthia,... kinda like how former presidents are always known as mr president

Uka.champion

difficult question really

Maetch

Good question.

Well, we do know that Gym Leaders can be promoted to Elites (i.e. Koga), and that there is an element of flux among Elites and Champions (i.e. the roster lineup between R/G/B/Y/FR/LG and G/S/C/HG/SS). Also, technically, the plot only requires you, the player, to beat the Elites and Champion once. Rematches are not canon post-storyline and are just for player convenience.

My theory is that the Elites and Champions are something like public heroes. The kind of people who the higher-ups in the League appoint to represent their region. They're also expected to aid their region in times of crisis (i.e. Cynthia's role in D/P/Pl). Basically, by beating the Elites and Champion, one gets recognized as a "Champion Trainer", but does not replace the Champions or Elites themselves simply because they are still serving the League for whatever their term may be, thus allowing the player to continue with their personal quest without forced obligation. Once their term ends, the League appoints new replacements.

Last edited:

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
My theory is that the Elites and Champions are something like public heroes.

I have to agree with this kinda.

Personally, I see them like celebrities. They are the best are what they do and so maybe the League keeps them to be called on. Like if one of them sees a strong trainer they report it, so the other Elites will be there for battling. They have responsibilities and have to stay strong to keep their rank and title. When the Player becomes a Champion, they get the rank and responsibilities that come with it only they aren't limited to the League (probably by choice). I mean, Red and Daigo both leave to travel and hide, so being tied to the League and being called on to battle trainers has gotta be optional. Champions can be heroes, but they probably just choose to help instead of it being required, so they are there.

I have no idea if that makes any sense...

So that means even after beating the Champion we don't become a champion. There is no way to replace the Champion. S\he is supreme trainer and no matter how hard you try you can't surpass him\her.

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
So that means even after beating the Champion we don't become a champion. There is no way to replace the Champion. S\he is supreme trainer and no matter how hard you try you can't surpass him\her.

What? No. We do become Champion and are considered one of the strongest trainers, hence we have go through the challenge of the Elites. But, the previous Champion is still a Champion in a way, they just don't hold the title anymore or the rank if they are beaten.

For instance, Daigo gave it up to go travel and give to Mikuri. Mikuri had to been a Champion previously to gain such a title and rank or be strong enough to win against the other Elites, just not Daigo.

Or, Green was a Champion who got beaten by Red. He's an ex-Champion and now a Gym Leader, but that doesn't mean he isn't one of the strongest and could become Champion again if Red wasn't around. Green just can't stand at the end of the Elites anymore or call himself the strongest. Red can as he had the title and rank even if he seems to have given them back to Wataru.

Does that make sense? There is no one supreme trainer as if there was we wouldn't ever be able to beat them.

Cutty

Forever now
Maybe there's only one true n first champion who's acknowledged.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Although the protagonist doesn't speak, this is what actually goes on:

Champion: Welcome to the Hall of Fame. You are now our new Champion. Woot!1!11! (Caution: A Champion must stay rooted to one spot 24 hours a day unless he/she loses)

You: *noble look* But I can't leave my journey - there are yet many Pokemon to see, trainers to battle, challenges to conquer *dramatic music* Gotta catch 'em all *more dramatic music*

Champion: K, then I'll just play Champion like you never even existed and we won't mention this to anyone, k?

...And that's why you never get to join the Elite 4.