• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What happens to the Champion?

NINJA PENGUIN

i presume that the champion is guardian of its region, and once a champion is defeated, they travel to another region?

Indragon

Back in the USSR
^Then how come you get to battle them endlessly after that?

Chimchartrainer

It would be nice if we could hold the title as "Champion" in game and be challenged at random times by various strong trainers (perhaps the rival).

That would be awesome :)

jshizzlex6661

Sick Of Natures
They do whatever the hell they want. It's a status. An achievement. Cynthia was travelling all over Sinnoh until the end of Platinum. If you beat the high score in an arcade you don't wait by it untill you die.

Last edited:

ijea4444

Its a game so after you beat them the story keeps going on as if you didn't beat them. If this were real life then you'd become champ and and then the losing champ would have choice to remain in the E4 or leave.

In stevens case, he retired(in Emerald/HGSS anyway). And Green lost his position to Red in GSCHGSS and chose to take over the gym leader.

0BS0L33T

Pick up that can.
But the elite four and champion system has me scratching my head. To determine the ranking of the strongest trainers, one would assume that the Pokemon League would adopt a tournament system in which those that qualify (by collecting gym badges in place of regional qualifiers) would compete in annually. And the champion for that year would be determined in this fashion.

Tournament system would be so awesome to determine the champion. But then again, it might just be a copy of say, the Battle Tower. So that'd be almost pointless. I'd suggest, now that Pokemon games are on DS and WiFi enabled, that Champions could be decided by a series of constantly-running small tournaments, but not everyone has WiFi access, there's always the problem of hackers, and then there's the fact that some people's teams are simply too overwhelming for the average/casual player, and would therefore completely dominate the entire game. Of course, this might be more realistic, but imo, it'd be highly unnecessary and problematic, as well as remove a good bit of fun from the game and create petty conflicts between players.

Matthew Platinum

I Live For This.
The champion probably just goes back home and bawls his eyes out to his/her significant other. If not a significant other; then the family. Other than that I wouldn't know.

Tekka

Daemon Hunter
But the elite four and champion system has me scratching my head. To determine the ranking of the strongest trainers, one would assume that the Pokemon League would adopt a tournament system in which those that qualify (by collecting gym badges in place of regional qualifiers) would compete in annually. And the champion for that year would be determined in this fashion.

Tournament system would be so awesome to determine the champion. But then again, it might just be a copy of say, the Battle Tower. So that'd be almost pointless. I'd suggest, now that Pokemon games are on DS and WiFi enabled, that Champions could be decided by a series of constantly-running small tournaments, but not everyone has WiFi access, there's always the problem of hackers, and then there's the fact that some people's teams are simply too overwhelming for the average/casual player, and would therefore completely dominate the entire game. Of course, this might be more realistic, but imo, it'd be highly unnecessary and problematic, as well as remove a good bit of fun from the game and create petty conflicts between players.
This was in regards to the "in-game" method of determining the champion, so Wi-Fi and multiplayer have nothing to do with it. I'm talking about a tournament system as story mechanic, not a game mechanic.

It makes more sense than having five people just hanging around waiting for challengers everyday.

Last edited:

natie

Mr. F
Well, it'd be cool if, after you beat the E4, you actually became the Champion, and whenever you fought someone and lost, they'd take your place as the Champion, and you'd have to go through the League again and fight that trainer to regain your title, and so on.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Well, it'd be cool if, after you beat the E4, you actually became the Champion, and whenever you fought someone and lost, they'd take your place as the Champion, and you'd have to go through the League again and fight that trainer to regain your title, and so on.
"'Hi! I like shorts, they're delightfully comfortable and easy to wear.'

You are challanged by Champion Youngster Ben."

Last edited:

flygonabsol99

i agree that it should be a rank.poor champions.they have to sit in that empty room with nothing to do for months+

zerao

Banned
Its a game so after you beat them the story keeps going on as if you didn't beat them. If this were real life then you'd become champ and and then the losing champ would have choice to remain in the E4 or leave.

In stevens case, he retired(in Emerald/HGSS anyway). And Green lost his position to Red in GSCHGSS and chose to take over the gym leader.

I was just going to say it

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Player convenience. The plot only requires you to beat the Elites and Champion once. After that, rematches don't have any impact on the plot.

That might be the case, but I was asking for an explanation of the fact that how can you keep challenging them if they move to a different region after losing once.

I also agree with the tournament idea as an actual Pokemon League.

"'Hi! I like shorts, they're delightfully comfortable and easy to wear.'

You are challanged by Champion Youngster Ben."

XD

[Kingdra]

After you beat the Champion, they contract Alzheimer's and they think that they are still the Champion. Out of the niceness of your heart, you let them continue to play the role of Champion. A pretty easy one to figure out.

Zanbonsen

Pokemorpher/recolor
Maybe everybody is thinking too hard about this subject. Take a look at Sports. In Football, when a Team wins a Superbowl, they don't go straight to the Superbowl again, they have to play and earn it again. The big difference is that the Elite 4 has a set or "permanent" Trainers/Elite 4 member and the title of "Champion" could be optional. Your rival only desires to be stronger so he/she stays while your goal is to "catch them all". Maybe if you're already Champion, the Elite 4/Champion are just bored. In FR/LG how many people ever win badges, only two ^^;

Gamerman

I don't understand the Johto League because you beat the Elite Four and then go and fight stronger gyms from Kanto which shares the league with Johto so how can the Elite Four be the Elite with 8 Gyms stronger than them and the Champion.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I figure your trainer simply refuses to accept the position of Champion.

Sure they've beaten the Elite 4, but they're 10 years old.

Nobody in their right mind would hand such a prestigous position to someone that young.

There's also the fact that staying in the league kind of puts a cramp in the whole "Complete Pokedex" thing. And since your avatar is apparently an adventure junkie...

Anyway, being with the E4 doesn't mean you stay in one place for all day. Many champions and E4 members have been seen wandering around.

YoYie

I you bet
e4 is not like a job more like volunteer work, exept the people who do it are extremely proud.

meaning, once they get beaten, they go out on a trip to 'find' themselves etc.

i mean seriously, most of the time the champions are tagging along with the player, giving him hints etc.