• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What ideas do you think weren’t gonna originally happen Journeys?

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer
One thing I definitely do agree with though is that Gary was to become the Kanto Champion, as evidenced by Lance bouncing back and forth between E4 and Champion. It would have been kind of incongruent with his Professor goal, but they’ve had characters balance different facets of their life before. The revolving door of fanservice returns also probably weren’t planned that hard overall either.
Ritchie should've been used as the anime Red substitute. Nice old-school throwback too.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I honestly believe that they did not have Leon's full Team planned out at the Start of Journeys

Charizard was the obvious one

Dragapult was predictable

We never saw the rest of his Team for multiple episodes.

And we're only JUST NOW meeting his 3RD Pokémon Rillaboom when the show is nearly over

I legitimately believe that they didn't know which Galar Starter to give to Leon and only went with Rillaboom because the other 2 had already been taken
Okay NOW I can say with the uttermost certainty that the writers absolutely did NOT have Leon's Team planned from the start

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Okay NOW I can say with the uttermost certainty that the writers absolutely did NOT have Leon's Team planned from the start
I mean, all they’ve done is chosen his Battle Tower Pokemon, the same way they chose Diantha, Steven and Cynthia’s in-game Pokemon. It’s not a stretch to say that they probably had the simplicity of it planned all along, especially since the inclusion of all Galar starters advertises SwSh perfectly, just like Cynthia’s team advertises BDSP perfectly..

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I mean, all they’ve done is chosen his Battle Tower Pokemon, the same way they chose Diantha, Steven and Cynthia’s in-game Pokemon. It’s not a stretch to say that they probably had the simplicity of it planned all along, especially since the inclusion of all Galar starters advertises SwSh perfectly, just like Cynthia’s team advertises BDSP perfectly..
- Leon has all 3 Starters in the Battle Tower

- Leon gives the Player Character their Starter instead of Magnolia

Welp that settles it. My new Headcanon is that the Starters that Leon gives away at the beginning are the Children of his Battle Tower Starters lol

bmw9413

Honestly I am curious if we would have liked Journeys if they went on with their original plans. It all sounds like a giant mess due reasons.
Honestly NO! If Ash is traveling to all the regions how could they not have him encounter his old friends and rivals? This is what worried me most about Journeys when it first aired. They went to Hoenn the 5th episode and there was no mention or reference to May and Max. The next episode they immediately go to Sinnoh for a generic ice race with random Piplup and Croagunk, which could have easily been Dawn and Brock's. And with Ash participating in the Championship how could they NOT utilize Gary and Paul, his biggest rivals to date?
Their Original plan sounds like garbage.

Their original plan sounded like garbage.

sutellakiara

Shirona, my beloved...
I wish they'd gone with the original plan since that way they wouldn't have ruined and wasted so many once in a lifetime things with the epitome of mediocrity and bad execution.
Now all those things happened and there's no turning back. Still just as bad if not worse and it spread its badness all over. Sad.

DayQuil95

- Leon has all 3 Starters in the Battle Tower

- Leon gives the Player Character their Starter instead of Magnolia

Welp that settles it. My new Headcanon is that the Starters that Leon gives away at the beginning are the Children of his Battle Tower Starters lol
Bro has perfect IVs, EV trained starters with hidden abilities and gives the player some random stuff

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer
Ash already is the anime Red substitute
He even uses the same cap in XY
I know, I'm just saying if they wanted to recreate the Gen 1 Kanto champion surprise and not use Gary (while still having some similarity to the game), Ritchie would've been a good option for the role.

But Lance is already champion of both Kanto and Johto, so it is what it is. However, I did find it interesting that they said he was "new". Wonder who he replaced?

-------------------
EDIT: One question: how does the Kanto and Johto leagues work in the anime? They have different league tournaments in different regions (unlike the games). Does that mean there is separate Elite 4 for both regions?

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I know, I'm just saying if they wanted to recreate the Gen 1 Kanto champion surprise and not use Gary (while still having some similarity to the game), Ritchie would've been a good option for the role.

But Lance is already champion of both Kanto and Johto, so it is what it is. However, I did find it interesting that they said he was "new". Wonder who he replaced?
I think there just wasn't a champion for these regions in the anime as Lance was just known as the Elite 4 leader