• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What if a kid isn't born in Pallet Town? How does he get his starter?

I've always believed that a new Trainer would get his or her Pokemon from someone else, whether it's from his or her parents or family member, a gym leader, or from people of a certain facility (a Pokemon Center, Pokemon Daycare, etc.). Getting a Pokemon is not only limited to just getting it from the local Pokemon professor; I'm' sure there are different ways to obtain Pokemon, as I mentioned before.

DaMaaan

A trainer from Celadon could buy one at the game corner, a trainer from Fuchsia could catch one in the Safari zone, etc. Plenty of options.

zhixun

A trainer from Celadon could buy one at the game corner, a trainer from Fuchsia could catch one in the Safari zone, etc. Plenty of options.

If the trainer does not live in those cities then he will still need to travel there to get one.

I think the trainer can ask an NPC to temporary protect him until they reach the lab, then he can get a starter Pokémon.

Grand-Captain-GMN

Artistic Master
Perhaps each town has a person who gives a starter with a typing based on the town's gym's type.

But seriously, I go with the Day Care Center Theory.
~GMN

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
You don't really need a professor or a starter. But, in the anime i think, some people went from another city to new bark town to just get a starter.

DaMaaan

They could catch a Magikarp with an old road and beat it up and then catch it and put it in daycare to get a Gyarados as a starter.

zhixun

They could catch a Magikarp with an old road and beat it up and then catch it and put it in daycare to get a Gyarados as a starter.

Day care centre needs money though. He/ she may be run out of money if Koiking is put into there. Battling with trainers is one of the few sources to get money. Moreover I think it is better to use a Super Rod to fish for Gyarados instead.

T5000X

Indivijul
Wouldn't the regions' Professor just transfer the Pokéball to the local Pokémon Center or the trainers PC?

DaMaaan

Day care centre needs money though. He/ she may be run out of money if Koiking is put into there. Battling with trainers is one of the few sources to get money. Moreover I think it is better to use a Super Rod to fish for Gyarados instead.

They wouldn't be able to catch the Gyarados, lol, it would eat them, unless they got a Master Bell.
They could get money from gambling in Celadon or from finding items to sell.

They just need to get Magikarp to lv 19 and then make it tackle some Rattatas to it evolve.

zhixun

Wouldn't the regions' Professor just transfer the Pokéball to the local Pokémon Center or the trainers PC?

The first thing is that professor needs to know the trainer first. This is possible through transfer but I would actually like them to go to the laboratory on person to get it.

Moldova

Honour of Kalos
Local Day-Care Centre and just getting their dad or somebody else to help them catch it :)

Sprinter1988

The two most recent generations (Unova and Kalos) have all answered this. In Black2/White2, Bianca, in her capacity as Professor Juniper's assistant, brings the starter pokemon to you, and in Kalos your friend, as a favour to Professor Sycamore, brings the starter to you. It's as simple as that.
Other than that, there is what happened to Wally. Presumably if there is no Professor present, someone else takes on the job of helping a beginning trainer to get their first pokemon.

rusty-cooksie

Dragon Trainer
I've always felt there should be more trainers around that have a starter. Not all off them, I do like the idea that bug catchers catch their own with their nets, and some are presents or family pets, but it seems a little odd how you really are one of the only ones around with a starter... But take Hikers for example, we all know Charmanders are mountainous 'mons so why not give them one from that family, or one of the MANY fire/fighting starters as fighters are also pretty popular with that trainer class. It'd just make for a nice little bit of continuity.

Grei

not the color
In the games (i.e. the relevant canon here), I'd go with that there isn't one conventional way people get their first Pokemon. Some wing it out in the wild on their own, some borrow a Pokemon to catch their own, some are given, some are probably found and befriended, some are stolen... while only a select few are given by the Professor coupled with a Pokedex.

If I lived in the Pokemon world, I'd want to go out and catch my own by using a family member's Pokemon. Being given one would probably be lame, unless I got that one at a very young age.