• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What if a kid isn't born in Pallet Town? How does he get his starter?

Shandon

Another way this was tackled is in The Electric Tale of Pikachu. Ash captures Pikachu after finding in the floor boards. I'd imagine other trainers had a similar experience. Either trapping a pest that turns out to be a new friend or a "catch and release" where you never get to release. Maybe even forming a bond with a wild pokemon. You know, like how some people adopt some strays.

Skye-42

Let's get Creative~
I'm not sure. Maybe the kid's parents would lend them their Pokémon to catch their own with? Or maybe they get their Pokémon as a birthday gift from their parents?

Or, the kid could've rescued a young Pokémon from near death from the nearby forest/cave/wilderness area and then they become best buddies afterwards? I don't know, just a guess. -.-

zhixun

I wonder if a trainer has lost all of his Pokémon in the middle of the forest then how can they go back to the Pokémon Centre? In that case it is similar to a kid without any Pokémon on hand which can give protection when travelling.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I wonder if a trainer has lost all of his Pokémon in the middle of the forest then how can they go back to the Pokémon Centre?
With great difficulty. :V

I suppose they would just have to be careful and/or be really good at running. I guess it also happens in the games - if all your Pokémon faint, nowadays the games tell you to run off to the Pokémon Centre, and at least you can still use fainted Pokémon to use HMs!... somehow.

Meowtastic

I don't think many people have the '3 starters' of their gens. Lots of the trainers you meet when they're starting out have random pokemon or pokemon that are native to the area they are in. Some say they got their pokemon from family, others probably had someone help them catch the pokemon. We are just lucky enough to get the rare pokemon for our starters.

SW!FT

Batman
I always assumed living in a professor's town was akin to living near a good school or institution as a family. Typically, the protagonist in the games has just moved to the town, such as in Gen 3 and Gen 6, probably because the trainer's parents were planning for their child's future as a trainer, as a family would plan for its child's future by moving to a good neighborhood and school district. We see in Gen 3 and 6 that the families of our protagonist are very pokemon - centered, as in Hoenn the protagonist's father was a gym leader of a nearby town, and in Kalos, our main character's mother is a Ryhorn racer. Though in gen 6 the trainer's family did not move into the city where the professor is located, Lumiose city, they still moved into an area where the professor had an area of influence through his many pupils. As some have previously said, it is demonstrated in Hoenn that children can receive pokemon through the help of gym leaders. Just my two cents, hope it helped!

Shabadoo

King of Mediocrity
Well all I've seen on the matter is little girls talking about how their daddy got them a cute pokemon. Obviously people gotta get pokes another way and if getting all pokemon was like this I wouldn't think the professors would be in a remote part of the region. But that does beg the question on how one catches a pokemon without another pokemon. So they probably get gifted to them or in other cases nurse them to health and care for them to the point of partnership between the two.

Hilda

May, Dawn, Trip and Serena seemed to be able to get their starter outside of Pallet Town ;p

majormanafemale

Some get a starter from a nurse joy other's take Wally approach and ask gym leader or someone in authority can I norrom yours to catch me wild pokémon as first starter. I dont fully get Diamond,Pearl and Platnium though Platinum did have Rowan stop you. I wish you could tell your bff from childhood/ rivial no you aren't going into grass. I am not sure how if Rowan wasn't around you two would get first pokémon as he isn't in your town nor do you have pokémon center or gym in home town. If in place near daycare you could probably get egg or baby pokémon from him. Some npc kids state their parents gave them their first pokémon. So probably multitude of ways.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
They literally answer this question in the Pokémon anime. Basically the Pokémon Center has the starters delivered to them, so when a trainer starts out, they can have all the things a trainer who went to a lab get. A Pokédex, Pokeballs, and a Starter Pokémon.

But my memory is a little foggy on the details.

I remember this in an early episode from the Advanced series. I remember Nurse Joy was responsible for giving a young girl one of the Hoenn starters, but the Torchic ran off and evolved into Combusken which led to a whole chain of events.

Miar

Wigglytuff Guild recruit
Remember that in DP and XY you didn't live in the Prof.'s town either.
Even then I think, in the gameverse at least (and it's true in Adventures), most trainers don't even have dexes, let alone starters. Many of the earlier trainers carry locally-caught Pokémon.

Ver-mont

Well... that depends whether you're going from game canon or anime canon.

In the anime, if I remember correctly, you get your starter Pokémon from Nurse Joy at the Pokémon Center if you don't live near the Pokémon Professor.

In the games, the Starter Pokémon (in our sense of the word) are only given to whoever the Pokémon Professor wants to give them to, usually someone who helps them in their research. They don't seem to have any real obligation to give Pokémon (or Pokédex) to anyone. Most Trainers receive their first Pokémon from friends or family, or catch a random wild Pokémon.

bigbro223

In the games, the Starter Pokémon (in our sense of the word) are only given to whoever the Pokémon Professor wants to give them to, usually someone who helps them in their research. They don't seem to have any real obligation to give Pokémon (or Pokédex) to anyone. Most Trainers receive their first Pokémon from friends or family, or catch a random wild Pokémon.
Which explains why everyone doesn't have the starters you do. To them, a Rattata or a Magnemite would be the same as a Charmander or Treecko.