• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What if Ash caught a hatterene Line?

While assuming that Ash encountered Hatenna at Hammerlocke Hills in this very hypothetical scenario, Then Ash evolved his Hatenna into Hattrem at wherever he is, Then finally to Hatterene at the end, How would Ash's Hatterene do with Ash Ketchum himself.

Would Ash's Hatterene work in this Hypothetical Scenario?

Mew29240

I personally don't see it happening. Based on their dex entries, the Hatterene line doesn't work well with loud and excitable people or ones with strong emotions (which is Ash in a nutshell). It's practically his worst match.

I can see them going around this by making his particular Hattena/Hattrem/Hatterene be the exception to the rule, but then she wouldn't be representing the line all that well. It might as well be a different Pokemon.

I personally don't see it happening. Based on their dex entries, the Hatterene line doesn't work well with loud and excitable people or ones with strong emotions (which is Ash in a nutshell). It's practically his worst match.

I can see them going around this by making his particular Hattena/Hattrem/Hatterene be the exception to the rule, but then she wouldn't be representing the line all that well. It might as well be a different Pokemon.
Yeah... I wonder can the writers workaround this issue that is Dex entries with Hatterene line.
and What would He did with his Hatterene Line anyway?

Mew29240

Yeah... I wonder can the writers workaround this issue that is Dex entries with Hatterene line.
and What would He did with his Hatterene Line anyway?
Again, they could make it an exception in terms of personality.

Another (more interesting) possibility I can see them do is have Ash purposely act differently when working/interacting with one. Maybe in battle he does his best to reign in his emotions and become the calm and collected trainer the line is looking for?

It wouldn't be out of Ash's character to make his Pokemon more comfortable working with him, but needing to act differently (especially against his regular personality) when working with different Pokemon might be an interesting direction to take him.

Again, they could make it an exception in terms of personality.

Another (more interesting) possibility I can see them do is have Ash purposely act differently when working/interacting with one. Maybe in battle he does his best to reign in his emotions and become the calm and collected trainer the line is looking for?

It wouldn't be out of Ash's character to make his Pokemon more comfortable working with him, but needing to act differently (especially against his regular personality) when working with different Pokemon might be an interesting direction to take him.
That would be an agreeable change if Ash changed his personality to be calm and collected trainer that line is looking for, how would Goh and Chloe react to him actually catching a Hatterene line.

Mew29240

That would be an agreeable change if Ash changed his personality to be calm and collected trainer that line is looking for, how would Goh and Chloe react to him actually catching a Hatterene line.
Not sure. I can see Goh scaring Hatenna away or prompt Hattrem/Hatterene trying to attack him if gets too excited. Chloe would probably be very comfortable with any of them. If anything, I'd argue that she would be a better match for the line than Ash or Goh.

ImBeVillain

No more six members
Ash can change and influence the behavior of his Pokémon.
He did just that in Alola.

Ash can change and influence the behavior of his Pokémon.
He did just that in Alola.
I'd be okay with the idea of Ash Changing Hatterene's Personality but what's worrying is about that: Pokemon Writers will let Ash release her anyway like with Ash's Charizard but that's a different story than Ash's Charizard.

ImBeVillain

No more six members
I'd be okay with the idea of Ash Changing Hatterene's Personality but what's worrying is about that: Pokemon Writers will let Ash release her anyway like with Ash's Charizard but that's a different story than Ash's Charizard.
Don't be so sure, Ash's approach to pokemon relations has changed over the years - it just started with Charizard. Then he realized that he should raise pokemons well, otherwise they might disobey him.
He has had great experience with difficult Pokémon such as Infernape, Incineroar (when as Litten) and Lycanroc, and thanks to hard work on behavior they became loyal to him.
So, writers are unlikely to forget about his great relationship with pokemon.

Don't be so sure, Ash's approach to pokemon relations has changed over the years - it just started with Charizard. Then he realized that he should raise pokemons well, otherwise they might disobey him.
He has had great experience with difficult Pokémon such as Infernape, Incineroar (when as Litten) and Lycanroc, and thanks to hard work on behavior they became loyal to him.
So, writers are unlikely to forget about his great relationship with pokemon.
Well... While assuming that Ash had a workaround to catch the Hatterene line, Would she not obey Ash Just like Charizard or She obey him like Ash Greninja regardless?
But anyway that is a different situation than those 2 Pokemon.

ImBeVillain

No more six members
Well... While assuming that Ash had a workaround to catch the Hatterene line, Would she not obey Ash Just like Charizard or She obey him like Ash Greninja regardless?
But anyway that is a different situation than those 2 Pokemon.

If Hatterene has a unique personality, for example, is emotional than others in her family, she might rather be expected to prefer fighting for Ash. We know very well that many of Ash's pokemons had unique personalities. Greninja was one of the most unique Pokémon, even when he was Froakie (it was in an episode where the leader of a psychic gym predicted his past that he was isolated from his family because he preferred to train fights).

If Hatterene has a unique personality, for example, is emotional than others in her family, she might rather be expected to prefer fighting for Ash. We know very well that many of Ash's pokemons had unique personalities. Greninja was one of the most unique Pokémon, even when he was Froakie (it was in an episode where the leader of a psychic gym predicted his past that he was isolated from his family because he preferred to train fights).
True... if that is true, then what would Ash use her for? Some emergency situation?

ImBeVillain

No more six members
True... if that is true, then what would Ash use her for? Some emergency situation?

Hatterene (or Gardevoir) would come in handy on Ash's team. Since they have two types, they would help in the fight against other psychic and dragon pokemons. Ash should complete the team with 18 different types so that he has an advantage over all types of pokemon.