• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What if Ash had started off in a different region?

We all know that Ash started off in Kanto and Pikachu was made his starter and 'mascot' for basically the whole Pokemon series. BUT what if Kanto wasn't the first region created? What if all the Pokemon from Johto or Hoenn or Sinnoh went before Kanto? If he had started off in any one of those regions instead of Kanto, chances are, there would have been a different starter for him and thus, a different 'Mascot'. What Pokemon do you think he would have started off with in any of the other regions and why?

For me, if Johto was the first region created and the one he started off in, I think the writers would have gave him a Pichu, just becuase of it's relation to Pikachu.

If Hoenn was first, I think the Pokemon given to him would be..... Well, honestly for Hoenn, I have no clue what they would have given to him.

For Sinnoh, I think Riolu. Its a very popular Pokemon and suits Ash very well. NO it has nothing to do with Ash's aura abilities, I just think Riolu would be a great Pokemon as his starter and could acctually be a mascot.

Anyone else have any thoughts on what his Pokemon would have been if a different region was created first?

poke'chu

i think it wouldnt make a difference because the origanal writers were good

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Had Hoenn been first, then he'd have probably got all the starters, with Mudkip off fighting fires and Blaziken training at the Blazific Valley.

Had Sinnoh been first, then he'd have probably got all the starters, with Piplup fighting fires and Infernape off at the Infernific Valley.

See where I'm going with this?

Had Hoenn been first, then he'd have probably got all the starters, with Mudkip off fighting fires and Blaziken training at the Blazific Valley.

Had Sinnoh been first, then he'd have probably got all the starters, with Piplup fighting fires and Infernape off at the Infernific Valley.

See where I'm going with this?

Ya, I can see where that is going, but there has to be one just like Pikachu, staying out of its Pokeball and never evolving. It would also become the mascot of Pokemon.

In that case, he'd probably have got:

Pichu for Johto.
Plusle/Minun for Hoenn.
Pachirisu for Sinnoh.

Hmm...more Electric rodents. That would probably be right though, seeing as Pikachu is electric, and a rodent. Any one of those could acctually be a decent Mascot for Pokemon Until Piplup takes the title

Alfonso

Derpgull
People are only saying Electric rodents because of Pikachu, which as we know was only given to Ash because it was popular and because they didn't want to alienate any of the starters in Red/Green.

The only Pokemon I can agree with would probably be Riolu, with the way the writers bloody ***** out Lucario and all.

Definitely Riolu for Sinnoh.

Maybe Aipom for Johto?

And for Hoenn...Well, I don't know my Hoenn Pokemon well enough. Maybe Castform...Or Numel? I honestly can't say.

Netbug009

Then the fandom would have whined about a different girl leaving at the end of the first season.

Hmmmmm... I'm not sure what Ash's partner would have been. Seeing him teamed with something besides a Pikachu at the start feels so weird. Those two are like Peanut Butter and Jelly.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Ash would have definitely gotten all the starters if Hoenn or Sinnoh was first.

But if you mean Ash's "main" Pokemon, I do agree it would have probably been Riolu for Sinnoh.

As for Hoenn, its hard to say. Outside the starters, Hoenn didn't really have that one "popular Pokemon" that everyone wanted. Its strange really.

Journeyman

…… …… …… ▼
Jotho: Cyndaquil
Hoenn: Torchic
Shinnoh: Chimchar

The Fire-types have served Ash well as of now.

joker0187

my rolfcopter goes..
here is my take on this
johto: totodile(he is very energetic and likeable)
hoenn: idk
sinnoh: piplup(attention *****s)

HoennMaster

Ya, I can see where that is going, but there has to be one just like Pikachu, staying out of its Pokeball and never evolving. It would also become the mascot of Pokemon.

They gave him Pikachu because of how popular Pikachu is, doesn't mean they would of had to give him another if he started in an of the other regions.

They gave him Pikachu because of how popular Pikachu is, doesn't mean they would of had to give him another if he started in an of the other regions.

But if he had started off in another region, Pikachu would't exist until that region was made known.

bonslyclogsthetoilet

BoomGoesTheDynamite!
Dragonphantom said:
But if he had started off in another region, Pikachu would't exist until that region was made known.

Or i guess we can also say Pikachu would've been a JOhto, Hoenn or Sinnoh pokemon instead of Kanto.