• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What If Ash Used His Old Pokemon in Journeys Instead of his Current Team?

KukuiFanatic501

Pretty much what the title says. Im curious to see how everyone would feel if Ash didn't capture any new Pokemon in this current series and decided to use his old Pokémon from previous seasons instead.

Personally speaking, I think this is the path the writers should have gone down instead of what's happening now. While catching new Pokemon is usually the basics to the series and is one of the things that "has to stay the same" in that retrospect, to me, it's very frustrating to see Ash being handed several powerhouse members to add to his team and the writers act like Lucario (and Pikachu, of course) is the only one that exists to get screen time. Between the lack of focus his Pokemon get, and Goh's mass catching spree of pretty much anything in sight that moves, Ash's opportunities of getting new Pokemon to be introduced as characters is extremely low. And the opportunities that are taken aren't being done effectively.

I think it would've been better if Ash just used the Pokemon from his older adventures and swapped between using them during his run at the PWC this series. Not just to give his old Pokemon new appearances from the last time they've been seen, but to also give them some new chances at screen time (done right) to do things that they did not get to do during their own series. Like some of Ash's un-evolved mon (like Gible, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Tododile, Bayleaf, Quilava, Oshawott, Snivy, Pignite, etc.) coming back to evolve during some new PWC battles. Or Pokemon Ash didn't get to use as much to get more spotlight (like Palpatoad, Melmetal or especially Incineroar who didn't get any official battle once Torracat evolved). Or some potential new Pokemon rivalries (Ash's Charizard vs Leon's Charizard? Nuff said). Something along these lines that would give Ash's old Pokemon more well-rounded purposes to fit in Journeys instead of new Pokemon who Ash has, but have hardly done anything and aren't being used to the extent that they could and should.

What does everyone else think?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It'd be better imo and it would have made more sense than what we got now with Ash's team.

Red and Blue

For me a big appeal of any new season is seeing Ash catch and bond with new captures. While it might be somewhat interesting to see him use his older Pokemom exclusively I think I'd get bored with it eventually. Yeah its unfortunate he hasn't had much screentime with his recent Pokemon, but we will definitely see more of them in action the further he goes in the PWC.

Plus he may eventually decide to use his reserves at some point

Mew29240

Having Ash capture no (or very few like 1 or 2) and using reserves was what I was hoping for when they introduced the PWC. With what's seemingly the biggest tournament introduced in the anime, I think it would be would be unfair if Ash (theoretically) won it with a team of Pokemon sans Pikachu that he just caught before and during the tournament's run regardless of how powerful they were. For something as big as the PWC, all of his Pokemon deserve to participate and put in their effort to get Ash the win!

KukuiFanatic501

It wouldn't fix the problem of Ash's Pokemon barely getting used, but I guess it'd be a better than nothing scenario for a lot of Ash's Pokemon.
Well in this scenario, I guess you would have the freedom of rewriting the amount of screen time is handed out to the characters, especially since if we went off this, there would be no worry to give Ash any moments of capturing any Pokemon.

Some episodes could focus on Ash swapping in and swapping out old Pokemon and training with them for an upcoming PWC match while Goh does what he does best in other episodes.

Leonhart

Imagineer
While it'd be nice to see Satoshi re-use some of his older Pokemon more, it would be awkward to watch in practice the way things are now since many of them would likely still be neglected just like some of them were ignored at the Shinou League. The biggest problem that this series has right now [from my viewpoint, at least] is that the writers are barely utilizing Satoshi's fully-evolved Pokemon with the exception of Lucario. So I'd want to see them fix that by giving Kairyu and Gangar more of a role before they bring in the reserves.

Also, maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't think that Satoshi using his reserves would change Gou's habits. He'd still seek to capture as many Pokemon as possible even if Satoshi was showcasing his older Pokemon a bit more.

Mew29240

While it'd be nice to see Satoshi re-use some of his older Pokemon more, it would be awkward to watch in practice the way things are now since many of them would likely still be neglected just like some of them were ignored at the Shinou League. The biggest problem that this series has right now [from my viewpoint, at least] is that the writers are barely utilizing Satoshi's fully-evolved Pokemon with the exception of Lucario. So I'd want to see them fix that by giving Kairyu and Gangar more of a role before they bring in the reserves.

Also, maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't think that Satoshi using his reserves would change Gou's habits. He'd still seek to capture as many Pokemon as possible even if Satoshi was showcasing his older Pokemon a bit more.

Screen time is something I would be worried about as well. There's also obvious favorites from the older generations that people want to see and cause greater differences in screen time. In that regard, you can argue that the PWC would widen the gap between the "good Pokemon" that already did well and are more popular because of it and the "weaker Pokemon" that need more battles to their name but are not as well-liked due to their earlier records and get fewer chances.

On another note, how would VAs be handled? Ash has a lot of Pokemon and I'd imagine some of them could be unavailable or be unwilling to voice them again.

OP didn't mention anything about that Ash using his reserves changing Goh's catching habits, though.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Less than half of Ash's Pokemon don't have voice actors that still aren't working on the show. So unless the ones that don't have quit VAing or died like Ishizuka, it shouldn't be that hard to get them back.

KukuiFanatic501

They barely care about Gengar, I fear they'll do Charizard very dirty. This is ironically the worst time to bring back reserves.
I don't necessarily think so, as I think Leon's Charizard would be a great rival for Ash's Charizard to take up on given Leon's rank as #1 trainer at the moment and with a Charizard being his main forte at that. It would be a great milestone for Ash and his Charizard to dethrone them.

Plus, Charizard IMO needs a rival as competition. Alain was already wasted potential that wasn't taken up on, so Leon could've been the next best thing.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Ideally i would‘ve liked it if ash had a rotation of new and old pokemon. Probably give 3 slots for new and 2 slots for reserve + pikachu. That assumes that the PWC was more serious than it actually is though. In that the opponents are more of a big deal and that ash actually prepares more for the battles.

With how things are going now, bringing in the reserves just doesn’t seem particularly worthwhile when ash’s pokemon have very limited screentime anyways and i don’t know how much time they can squeeze in later on.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
It’s just too easy to “what-if” yourself into an ideal scenario. Who says his reserves would be handled any better than his current roster. We would have a stronger connection due to past developments at the very least but if the structure remains they might just be handled in similar vein. I understand the series has a certain structure in place and it’s not my ideal wishlist series that will take any idea I have and execute it perfectly better than the current product.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
It would have made so much sense, even with the current lack of focus on Ash's team. They want to give Ash a team of all star fan favorite Pokémon? Well, it's easy to do it, he already got it! And you can have multiple teams of popular Pokémon! And the little amount of development allowed in this series (Riolu, Farfetch'd) could have been destined to Pokémon like Gible or Scraggy. I would have made him catch a couple of Galar Pokémon though. Farfetch'd was a must since the beginning, so that's something they did right. The other could have been Grookey or Sobble, either was fine.

nickdt

While its a cool idea in concept, i think it wouldn't be executed properly, since i doubt the non-popular of those mons would receive screentime as opposed to the popular ones (Despite the non-popular ones needing it more). I don't have that much faith in the writers, especially look at the Sinnoh league, where the majority of the mons were popular mons or powerhouses.

Cyndaquil/Quilava is the most popular Johto starter. Bayleef and Totodile didn't appear (And no, i don't count the cameo before the league started). Those were also the 2 from Johto that didn't appear. Cyndaquil evolved and Heracross and Donphan are popular/powerhouses. Noctowl is the oddity, but i guess they wanted to show him because he had progressed in strenght.

With Kanto its even worse, with only Snorlax appearing (I don't count Pikachu).

And for Hoenn, Corphish didn't appear and Glalie was done dirty.

Going by this, the writers would mess up big time with the concept and only let the powerhouses and popular mons appear, which means from Unova, only Krookodile, Leavanny and maybe Pignite would make an appareance.

I also think it wouldn't have worked that good with Gohs goal either.

Last edited:

Ryker101

I’m surprised they didn’t do that. This series would’ve been the best one to bring back reserves and make them stick around. The PWC is the most ambitious and diffecult challenge for Ash, so surely he’d be inclined to bring them back. This would also allow his team to remain flexible and make each match more interesting. And as the Alola episode showed, they are willing for him to go back and visit his past pokemon.

They could’ve just given him Pikachu+Lucario and rotated the rest. But I guess they wanted give him a full team? Idk why they’re giving us a full team, but barely utilising it.