• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What if Game Freak increased the BST of some old mons...

dildadonz

Imagine Skarmory with an evolution, that thing looks awesome as it is but imagine the possibilities. Now that im thinking about it eviolite would make it broken. Maybe a prevolution with higher speed and attack with sword dance. Its a steel bird and has sharp feathers.

tgf0cj101

The Shy Guy Trainer
As far as changing the base stats, I don't think it'll happen. What could happen to create the illusion of a boost in base stats is the creation of hold items that boost a specific stat by a set amount. These hold items will make some useless Pokemon somewhat useable, while at the same time they won't break OU/Uber Pokemon. Simple enough, right?

Vandslaux

IMO, Ninetales needs better stats.

dragonuser™

the greatest crisis
That is pretty much what the purpose of DW abilities were. They were intended to allow older pokemon to compete with all the new pokemon. And it succeeded fairly well, best examples are things like venusaur, dnite, and zam

Zachmac

That is pretty much what the purpose of DW abilities were. They were intended to allow older pokemon to compete with all the new pokemon. And it succeeded fairly well, best examples are things like venusaur, dnite, and zam
Tell that to Delibird.

I don't think that was the point at all, they were just giving pokemon extra abilities just to draw more attention to the games.

tgf0cj101

The Shy Guy Trainer
I think the invention of Abilities was (like the name implies) simply to expand the abilities and capabilities of Pokemon. Some get the perfect ability that they need (like Rotom and all of it's forms, especially Heat form) and other just get crapped on by GameFreak (Delibird seems to be a favorite example of this, and why would they invent the Ability Defeatist?), but most of the time one can say it's all in the interest of balance in the games. If all Pokemon got the best Abilities for them, all battles will last forever if they ever end at all (although I now realize Struggle will kick in eventually). In short, Abilities enhance battles like nothing else can, either by further highlighting strengths or by checking major threats.
As a side note, I think Gen VI will bring dual Dream World Abilities to many Pokemon, much like Gen IV brought dual natural Abilities.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I'd be for buffing the weakest of the weak to make them slightly more viable. There are Pokemon who aren't even decent in NU that could use some form of help. Pokemon like ... Spinda, Delcatty, Farfetch'd, Delibird, Luvdisc, Mawile, Volbeat/Illumise, and every electric rodent ever.

For other Pokemon who need just an extra push to be great another ability or an expanded movepool. Some Pokemon just need reliable recovery. Others need offensive moves to go with their offensive stats. They're getting better at fixing what's wrong with certain Pokemon.

Tell that to Delibird.

Or Ledian who got Iron Fist and lost the Elemental Punches + Mach Punch.

I think that certain abilities helped Pokemon that were decent before find the niche they needed to become great. Espeon, Ninetales, Politoed, Venusaur, Alakazam, and company are clear winners. Then there's the bunch that got their old abilities buffed like Gastrodon and the Sturdy Pokemon.

Then there are Pokemon who was terrible and will be terrible regardless of what they do to try to balance the game. A good example is every Pokemon that got Contrary. It could be a great ability on some Pokemon, but the three Pokemon who got it don't have the right tools to truly abuse the ability. Shuckle has no offensive power, Seperior has few offensive moves, and Spinda has nothing.

Aegon

I'd be for buffing the weakest of the weak to make them slightly more viable. There are Pokemon who aren't even decent in NU that could use some form of help. Pokemon like ... Spinda, Delcatty, Farfetch'd, Delibird, Luvdisc, Mawile, Volbeat/Illumise, and every electric rodent ever.
Are you suggesting that every single Pokémon should be competitively viable? While this would be nice, it's far from plausible. There'll always be something that can fill a role better.
Just wait for the third game move tutors.
Shuckle has no offensive power, Seperior has few offensive moves, and Spinda has nothing.
Spinda gets Superpower through the Dream World, which is usable with Contrary.

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
I thought I saw a difference in stats between gens. Might be wrong. Might've even been looking at an evolved Pokemon, but who's to say? Anyways, I think it would change the metagame a lot. But there's always new moves that make some Pokemon more useful than others. Plus, some Pokemon may fit a special niche like a certain type of Pokemon in case someone wants to make an all one type team, which isn't that good of an idea, but better for competition between friends or for online gyms and such.

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
Still has Drain Punch, Focus Punch, Dizzy Punch, and Comet Punch. Drain Punch and Dizzy Punch are good at least.

Shuckle has no offensive power, Serperior has few offensive moves, and Spinda has nothing.
I hope Shuckle learns Shell Smash through the move tutor. Then it'd actually have some use. But there is a way for it to gain attack. Power Trick and Power Split.

SERPERIOR HAS LEAF STORM!!! LEAF STORM!!!! THREE LEAF STORMS AND YOU'RE AT MAXIMUM SP. ATK!!! Sorry, that was major abuse of the Caps Lock, but I really want a Contrary Serperior.

Spinda gets Superpower in the Dream World. Just like the Leaf Storm.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
As a side note, I think Gen VI will bring dual Dream World Abilities to many Pokemon, much like Gen IV brought dual natural Abilities.

On the contrary, i hope they discontinue the Dream World and implement some better way to obtain pokemon with special abilities. I don't want to scoop ice cream for igglybuff. i've just been trading to get my DW pokes

Vandslaux

On the contrary, i hope they discontinue the Dream World and implement some better way to obtain pokemon with special abilities. I don't want to scoop ice cream for igglybuff. i've just been trading to get my DW pokes

Discontinue the DW? What are you smoking

Lol, what's with the hate for Contrary Serperior?

It really doesn't need huge offenses to succeed when it gets a +2 boost every time it uses its powerful 140 base power STAB move. It also has decent defenses and great speed to compliment. Sure its coverage sucks, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to switch into a set of Leaf Storm/HP Fire/Substitute/Leech Seed. It can even shut down Pokemon like Heatran, who would otherwise destroy it.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Personally, all Gen V starters need more BSTs in some way or have them completely altered.

First, Emboar needs to lose 40 points of that SpAtt and get it redistributed into every other stat, preferably defense. Furthermore, 3 more points can be added on to HP to give it a bit more bulk. and the ideal spread would be 113/123/85/60/85/65 for a total of 530. This would make him surprisingly bulky and allows it to better Bulk Up and Choice sets.

Second, Samurott needs to have its HP and Speed stat switched and 5 points taken from defense and 3 points added to Attack. The defense points get redistributed to the altered speed of 95, leaving the spread at 70/103/80/108/70/100 for a total of 530. While he's much frailer, he can effectively abuse a mixed set now and actually use those nice offense stats without Speed hindering it. It can slap a Scarf on to become an awesome revenge killer, Swords Dance with an Aqua Jet to be an amazing Sweeper/Revenge Killer.

Surprisingly, I really have no complaints with Serperior. 8 points to HP can be useful to make it slightly more bulkier as well as leave its BST at 535.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
Discontinue the DW? What are you smoking

i just hate the method of getting the pokemon. it's those DAMN GAMES >_< i do however like more abilities to choose from. i don't want to play with wailord to get my Dragonite with Multiscale. I don't want to find Chimecho to get a Sableye. but, yeah. i just traded to get them anyways ^_^

Zachmac

Lol, what's with the hate for Contrary Serperior?
Probably because all of the noobs want it, a good chunk of good players assume it's a gimmick. Zoroark is very popular among noobs, but it actually isn't half bad in OU.
i just hate the method of getting the pokemon. it's those DAMN GAMES >_< i do however like more abilities to choose from. i don't want to play with wailord to get my Dragonite with Multiscale. I don't want to find Chimecho to get a Sableye. but, yeah. i just traded to get them anyways ^_^
I have to do them on the lab top because my desk top sucks.

A lot of games aren't all that great on the laptop...I get them from trading as well.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Although "You don't need type coverage when you can get to 800+ Special Attack in 2 turns" is generally true, double resistances, relying on hidden power, and that Serperior isn't lightning fast do hurt it.

If Serperior got Power Gem, though...

Tell that to Delibird.

I don't think that was the point at all, they were just giving pokemon extra abilities just to draw more attention to the games.

Counterpoint, Fearow and Sniper. Sweet feebas I 70%-to-0'd an Evolite Chansey because of that. Evolite Chansey.

There were far too many slam dunk abilities for it not to be intentional. You don't take away Groudon and Kyogre's signature effects otherwise. The problem is that a lot of them were dumb, either because Game Freak didn't want to give out the same 10 abilities to everyone, or they were on and off in their being smart about it.

Or has rock-bottom attack. Who was sleep deprived (At least I hope that's what it was) in that brainstorming session?

*Points to sig*

i just hate the method of getting the pokemon. it's those DAMN GAMES >_<

Not to mention that when the Wi-Fi goes down Black and White will be even more incomplete than Ruby and Sapphire (Even though they already are, but people don't chastise them for that because it's a new experience and they already bought two remakes so all that's in the past).