• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What if Game Freak increased the BST of some old mons...

Zachmac

There were far too many slam dunk abilities for it not to be intentional.
Or they just picked random ones that seemed like they could work...

They don't actually follow pokemon competitively, so how would they know how many were slam dunk anyway? How would they know that speed boost Blaziken was going to be so powerful?

They only had so many "slam dunk" abilities because with so many pokemon, that's bound to happen.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
They don't actually follow pokemon competitively, so how would they know how many were slam dunk anyway? How would they know that speed boost Blaziken was going to be so powerful?

Oh, I agree, much like how a lot of developers don't actually play their games or games in general. I'd just rather think that they think something about their game mechanics rather than think Game Freak is two steps in to essentially breaking their game without their knowing.

Gamefreak may not follow Smogon move for move but they aren't stupid. They are aware of the competitive scene especially things like the VGCs.

Zachmac

Gamefreak may not follow Smogon move for move but they aren't stupid. They are aware of the competitive scene especially things like the VGCs.
Well, yeah, they probably do follow VGC, but I don't think they know much else competitively, especially in single battles.

I mean, why else would pokemon like Kyurem banned and Garchomp not?

I can almost guarantee you that Game Freak knows what Smogon is, and there's a good chance that they are aware of the general concept of Smogon's ban/tiering system. I can also guarantee you that Game Freak doesn't give a flying monkeyfish about competitive battling when they make their games. They will probably try to balance things out to an extent, though, mainly to make things in Battle Subway and whatnot more even.

I don't really think the evolutions make a difference. They could maybe make items so u can increase their specific stat by like 5-10 depending on where u find it either earlier or later in the game.

Zachmac

I can almost guarantee you that Game Freak knows what Smogon is, and there's a good chance that they are aware of the general concept of Smogon's ban/tiering system. I can also guarantee you that Game Freak doesn't give a flying monkeyfish about competitive battling when they make their games. They will probably try to balance things out to an extent, though, mainly to make things in Battle Subway and whatnot more even.
That's actually what I was trying to say. I guess people took it the wrong way...

I never said they didn't know about it, I just said they didn't care.
I don't really think the evolutions make a difference. They could maybe make items so u can increase their specific stat by like 5-10 depending on where u find it either earlier or later in the game.
Evolution can make a huge difference, actually.
129.gif

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer
I think it would be great if Game Freak increased to BST of older mons. Like Tauros, for example, was really strong n Gen 1 and then just fell into obscurity after that.

Pokemon like Seismitoad (A Pokemon who's potential I thought was wasted) could become more usable. Bastiodon could even become more usable, with increased attack stats.

Angeltripper

♥ Ace ♥
Really, many pokemon deserve better BST or even evolution, but among these I believe is Castform and Bannette

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Really, many pokemon deserve better BST or even evolution, but among these I believe is Castform and Bannette
Agreeing with Castform, if its stats were 100 across the board and Weather Ball had a base power of 75 (and possibly a Sandstorm form), I'm positive it would be OU.

Pokemonpal7

Jungle Ninja
And make the game incompatible with previous gens? No thanks. If they need better BST, it would be better to have them an evolution. Some Pokemon just don't have the stats to be viable, so you just have to live with it.

Arahabaki

Come at me bro.
arbok definitely needs a stat boost.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
Agreeing with Castform, if its stats were 100 across the board and Weather Ball had a base power of 75 (and possibly a Sandstorm form), I'm positive it would be OU.

in any weather, Weather Ball's power is doubled. so it's not bad at all.

ROFLMAO

There are quite a few 'mon who could use a BST boost. Arbok, Castform, Pidgeot, Noctowl, Quagsire, Tropius, Tauros and Lapras among them :p

Shiny Arcanine Trainer

maybe i'm biased, but i've always thought Arcanine's Base 95 in Speed was pretty stingy. considering it's known for it's awesome speed according to Dex entries, & yet it can't outrun a Luvdisc? boosting that to say at least 110 could possibly bring him into more OU teams. i think he'd still be mainly UU because of the typing, but his speed is definitely in need of revising.

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master
I'd say raising the base stat totals of Arcanine and Volcarona to 600 wouldn't be an unreasonable decision, seeing as they are already more legendary-like than most pseudo-legendary Pokémon in my opinion.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
I'd say raising the base stat totals of Arcanine and Volcarona to 600 wouldn't be an unreasonable decision, seeing as they are already more legendary-like than most pseudo-legendary Pokémon in my opinion.
Volcarona is SO already good enough as it is. I'll agree that Arcanine needs more speed though.