• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What if Pikachu wasn't the mascot?

Zaralt

4x Pokemon Master
Clefairy was originally supposed to be the mascot, but, at the last minute, they changed it to a Pikachu because Clefairy was too shy and Pikachu added more conflict in how they got along and eventually grew on each other. I'd say it was a good move. Pikachus seem very well-rounded in terms of the environment they can tolerate and, yeah, I agree with Aquadon, it can be cute, but tough. Though I'm sure many pokemon can fill that gap if possible, Pikachu was just simple enough, yet not a super common pokemon such as a rattata or a pidgey, to work for what the show needed.

denizenofevil

I really don't think Pokemon would have been as successful. I remember the first time ever watching Pokemon... Pikachu was what made me obsessed in my younger days. He was just so cute. Unfortunately, I feel that his personality has faded over the years and all he really does is sit on Ash's shoulder and get kidnapped. Remember when he had those epic gym battles where he'd get pounded in the ground and then come back up? How about the whole ketchup bottle thing or the time he was running on a treadmill and got flattened? But I guess that's offtopic.

The reason I started watching Pokemon was because Pikachu was adorable. Pokemon really wasn't anything unique to the choices of monster raising shows at the time but what made it stand out to me was how cute Pikachu was. Even his name was cute. I love growlithe but can you imagine him prying open a jar of ketchup and falling off a table? Can you imagine a growlithe or a clefairy being as cuddly as a pikachu? Clefairy, maybe, but to me, it's not as cute as pikachu.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
I really don't think Pokemon would have been as successful. I remember the first time ever watching Pokemon... Pikachu was what made me obsessed in my younger days. He was just so cute. Unfortunately, I feel that his personality has faded over the years and all he really does is sit on Ash's shoulder and get kidnapped. Remember when he had those epic gym battles where he'd get pounded in the ground and then come back up? How about the whole ketchup bottle thing or the time he was running on a treadmill and got flattened? But I guess that's offtopic.

Ah, those were the days... When Pikachu's sole purpose wasn't to get kidnapped by TR and in the end send 'em blasting off with a Thundebolt. You'll definitely be hard pressed to find a mascot who could have done all that Pikachu has while still hanging around on Ash's shoulder ^^

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
well the series would have a different feel and aspect to it, I think pikachu is perfect for ash, any of the starter pokemon wouldn't have vindicated him being the main character and every other pokemon doesn't seem to suit him that much. my personal belief's.

SmoG878

i'm not dead...srsly
nonetheless, i think most people will still treat pokemon the same. Like, i get bugged alot by people at school who know nothing about pokemon, and all they know is pikachu. They'd still do the exact same thing if it was clefairy :|

Veeri

Ah, those were the days... When Pikachu's sole purpose wasn't to get kidnapped by TR and in the end send 'em blasting off with a Thundebolt. You'll definitely be hard pressed to find a mascot who could have done all that Pikachu has while still hanging around on Ash's shoulder ^^

Heh, at some point, Pikachu became Daphne, or maybe Princess Peach. It gets to have fun and look somewhat tough in gym battles ever now and then these days (when it isn't crying over getting it's butt kicked), but lately it's major purpose is to sit on Ash's shoulder looking cute, and give him moral support. Pikachu might as well go back into the kitchen with all the other good little housewives in stereotypical 1950s films.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Make the Pokeball the mascot! Inanimate objects can be popular too...

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Heh, at some point, Pikachu became Daphne, or maybe Princess Peach. It gets to have fun and look somewhat tough in gym battles ever now and then these days (when it isn't crying over getting it's butt kicked), but lately it's major purpose is to sit on Ash's shoulder looking cute, and give him moral support. Pikachu might as well go back into the kitchen with all the other good little housewives in stereotypical 1950s films.

Yeah, gyms are probably one of the few places where Pikachu's still worth seeing in action now.

Make the Pokeball the mascot! Inanimate objects can be popular too...

iirc, in Destiny Deoxys, they said something like "The Pokeball - an invention that's captures the imagination of many for it's ability to catch the most wondrous of creatures - Pokemon!"

Already done XD

elite ralf

pikachu has made a very huge impact as to how the rest of the world perceives pokemon. it has also become a very popular icon just like how mario did, and the rest of those pop icons out there that strive throughout the years. the franchise wouldn't have been that pretty much appreciated, or worse, noticed, without the the cute, cool, yellow little guy.

pikachu is like the 'signature' of pokemon.

ALL HAIL PIKACHU. :D

Indragon

Back in the USSR
I think he said that once but I think he loves Bug type pokemon the most.

Yeah, he did, Poliwhirl is indeed Satoshi's favourite Pokemon, so he can't love Bug Pokemon better than it. For that reason, it was considered to be a mascot alongside Clefairy and the likes.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Pokemon will just be the same except that all pikachu icons and roles will be replaced by clefairy.

That's not really true. Do you see Clefairy being as strong as Pikachu? It doesn't have anything strong like Thunderbolt up its sleeve. What would it use? Helping Hand?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think he said that once but I think he loves Bug type pokemon the most.
Pikachu suits more to be the mascot because it is more fits Ash.

No. I think he said Pokemon is based off of the hobby of collecting bugs, not that his favorite Pokemon are Bug types.

If Pikachu wasn't the mascot, then you can bet they'd have some other cute Pokemon as their mascot. Not sure if Clefairy would do, but there are some other Pokemon I can see as mascots. Pikachu is the perfect mascot at the moment, so I'm glad it hasn't changed much throughout the years.

Lunanight

what about zorua, lol!

back to the topic: what about mew, this are all the appearences I can think of

movie 1
master mind of mirage pokemon
all the events that mew has been given away at
movie 8
orgins of mewtwo (special bonus in pokemon movie 1)
majior cameos (if you count nando's mew shaped-harp as a cameo)
all important side-games appearences(PMD2/PMD3, PMD1, pokemon ranger games)

Bardische

Elegance.
First appearance of beauty contests would be taken so literally they'd be making you buy elaborate outfits and makeup in stores if Clefairy or some girly Pokemon became the mascot.

Anyway, it wouldn't really make a large impact if Clefairy did become the mascot, only that it would draw in a bigger crowd of girls than guys.

Okay, there's nothing wrong with girls playing games, but yeah. Hahaha.

MKFC

Shade of Blue
If Pikachu wasn't the mascot, it would probably Poliwhirl, Growlithe, Nidorans or the starters. And then the thread would be called "What if Poliwhirl/Growlithe/Nidorans/starters wasn't the mascot?" and we'd be discussing what could've happened if Pikachu was the mascot.

Veeri

That's not really true. Do you see Clefairy being as strong as Pikachu? It doesn't have anything strong like Thunderbolt up its sleeve. What would it use? Helping Hand?

You're right- while sing and metronome are great moves to have in your party (metronome sometimes, anyways), it's not exactly a powerhouse pokemon. However, I think Pikachu wouldn't be nearly as strong as it is today if it hadn't been the mascot for so long. There are a lot of newer moves (such as volt tackle) which were probably added to spice it up- if it hadn't been so important, I don't think it would ever have recieved that kind of notice. So if Clefairy had been the main mascot, maybe it would have some better moves after all of these years, too.

...It would still be kind of lame in comparison to Pikachu, though.