• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What if Pokémon could hold two items?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuestionClaw

Prince of Doom
What if Pokémon could hold two items?

Per example, a Pokémon holding a Liechi Berry and a Choice Band.

This possibility would change the metagame drastically. Of course it's not gonna happen, but discuss its implicaations, limitations, etc.

If Pokemon could hold more than one item, I think the metagame would shift to an incredible bias on offense. While defensive Pokemon would be able to hole two Leftovers, offensive Pokemon could hold two Choice Bands/Specs's and get 2.25 times their normal power, or even a Choice Band/Specs and Scarf to have an effective Dragon Dance sort of boost whenever it comes in. Pokemon like Terrakion would become nearly unbearable. It already has a great knack for checking offensive Pokemon with a Scarf or wall breaking with a Band, but now it would be able to do both.

Maybe if there was a special ability that lets a Pokemon hold two items. This has been discussed hypothetically before, possibly on something like Ambipom. That way it would be something that could be used (and you could abuse the living daylights out of it in Balanced Hackmons), but it wouldn't be widespread enough to completely break the game.

Soperman

The One and Only
If Pokemon could hold more than one item, I think the metagame would shift to an incredible bias on offense. While defensive Pokemon would be able to hole two Leftovers, offensive Pokemon could hold two Choice Bands/Specs's and get 2.25 times their normal power, or even a Choice Band/Specs and Scarf to have an effective Dragon Dance sort of boost whenever it comes in. Pokemon like Terrakion would become nearly unbearable. It already has a great knack for checking offensive Pokemon with a Scarf or wall breaking with a Band, but now it would be able to do both.
Should this happen, realistically, pokemon won't be allowed to hold two of the same items, making it more fair.
But I see what you mean. Choice Scarf and Choice Band Haxorus would wreck everything...
Of course, it would save Chansey and make it far better than Blissey. All eviolite users would be much better off, for that matter.

HRRlion

2795 4358 7025
If that was allowed...

Double Soul Dew Lati@s.

Yeeaahhh, good thing thats not happening.

SoulMuse

Shadow of nothing
Without a restriction on the kinda of items, as said above there would be some major problems, which Jesusfreak has already pointed out. (Although....how hard woudl it be to kill double Evoilite chansey?) Anways,for something like this to work out, I imagine it would be as an ability, although I don't have any idea how specific t would get.

EonDragonFTW

Two items, huh? Well, a lot more pokes could be better with this. OU would be a much bigger tier and quite a few OU favs would be uber

JhenMohranMH3

Random Art Guy
Well there could also be Life orb/shell bell which would much help things like Hydy or Starmie
As said the ability thing could work ish depending on the pokemon.. if something like Terrakion then GG
But OU would be destroyed as a result of this imo

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
If this was for an ability then I think the ability would be outright banned (unless its distributation was chansey / khangaskan)

If it was just something every mon could do, then yes I think it would become extremely offensively oriented and as was already stated eviolite users would obviously love this. I think limiting the items to make them have to be different would be good for this but a life orbed/ banded or spec'd mon would still be scary to switch into to say the least

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
There ought to be limits

No 2 choice items (thus forcing a 'Choice')
No 2 same items

And if you play by tourny rules, aka 1 of each item, having 12 items to choose from would actually cause problems (like your chansey is holding both Evioloite and Leftovers, then what is your Eelektross gonna hold?)

Ilan

It will make a complicated thing even more complicated. I don't se it happening it would make chansey totally broken it would make sweepers hard to stop (lum berry + life orb) subseeders would be too OP (root thingy + leftovers) offence will be too much (choice scarf + life orb or another choice item) Gliscor and breloom will have too much recovery (toxic orb + leftovers) Lati@s will be really OP with soul dew + choice specs. In short it will make everything broken.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Why it's a good thing that Pokémon strays away from other RPGs.

Yeah, this thread has been done but here it is again. If it were to happen, balance-wise; best to make it only available to a weak group of exclusives.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
In general, only many current NU's are permitted to use this. The rest of the tiers may be banned. That means certain groups of fans of "Cool pokemon" in aesthetics that reside in NU will make a payback (most likely coming to Charizard / Blastoise fans) to many competitive players, especially smogon students. This just might cause unwanted riots though.

But lets share some NU pokemon that Will reach a higher tier when two items are theoretically held.

a. Bug type Quiver Dancers + HP draining attacks ( Life orb+ Leftovers ). Butterfree will love this and possibly Venomoth or Masquerain. Much like Mienshao now huh?

b. Life Orb or choice band or choice scarf + Kings Rock = Cinccino in NU is now the attacking flincher. 5 attacks means 50+% chance that one of the five attacks will make you flinch. And yes, a Kings Rock Cinccino is Quite a terror to face. Add a life orb, oh no! She Just got Jirachi's Iron flinching skill

c. Leftovers + Rocky Helmet = Tankish pokemon or wall pokemon will have to think twice about attacking tanks physically. Why Rocky helmet? You see. ever since Cinccino's (who's so adorably badass) inception to NU, she nearly got promoted to RU just from her skill link ability. Thus, what checked the chinchilla is the Rocky helmet, according to smogon (the one university that made some casual players blame them for bringing down their favorites to the lower tiers).

d. Klutz ability (Toxic orb + Flame orb or it could be Iron ball or black sludge or macho brace) + Trick or switcheroo = You never know what they will give you.

This is why other RPGs do this better

emilyshortcake

good left undone
This would be kinda cool.
I don't think it would ever happen though. Too many problems that could break the metagame and just be unfair.
Scarf/Band combos.? *shiver*

Its easy to see how double banded terrakion or double specs latios could rip the metagame apart, but don't forget double eviolite! Chansey, Dusclops and Porygon 2 become basically immune to anything not super-effective while Tangela, Rhydon, and Golbat gain immeasurable defensive power. Even Staravia, with intimidate and two Eviolites becomes so bulky that it has about 43% more physical defense than max/max Regirock (as well as a passable 55 base HP and 112 sp def.

For example Tangela can switch in on doubleband Terrakion and either force it out, or restore much of its HP with regenerator and pivot out to something else.

Psycho Cut

In answer to the question, the metagame would be awful, full of broken double choice or double health-regain items or of gimmickly level 1, Focus Sash + Shell Bell combos and other such things. It's a nice idea, but with the items already available, it just wouldn't work.

Jacobthepokemonfreak

Fly it all away!
what if you couldn't hold the same item x2 (no double leftovers, eviolite etc.) or have two items with the same categorial name (choice items)?

Then again LO + Choice band/specs......

Nah, you just couldn't implement this... <_>

Simple, The metagame would no longer have any ballance and all any tier would be is dual choice items. The power within pokes would make it nearly impossible to counter anything making the metagame no fun for anyone. If a poke could hold two of the same item slower pokes such as haxorus would easily destroy the meta with double choice scarf adamant and even if not choice banded off of a 147att base stat and a speed boost on the 97? speed stat would be a huge threat

b. Life Orb or choice band or choice scarf + Kings Rock = Cinccino in NU is now the attacking flincher. 5 attacks means 50+% chance that one of the five attacks will make you flinch. And yes, a Kings Rock Cinccino is Quite a terror to face. Add a life orb, oh no! She Just got Jirachi's Iron flinching skill

Just running double Kings Rock would give Cinccino a 65% chance of flinching with a 5 hit move. Granted 5% more flinches and 115 base speed does not allow it to overtake Jirachi's bulk + movepool but it certainly would allow it to go up a tier.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Just running double Kings Rock would give Cinccino a 65% chance of flinching with a 5 hit move. Granted 5% more flinches and 115 base speed does not allow it to overtake Jirachi's bulk + movepool but it certainly would allow it to go up a tier.

Of course I know that she can't outrank Jirachi (he has many roles in OU I know that.) because Cinccino is the Sweeper/wall breaker only (she has only 2 purposes). I believe Cinccino can possibly move from RU to possibly Borderline with 2 kings rock (or optional, double Razor Fang) being able to both sweep and cause flinching annoyance.

Though I got something to think in Mind. I know a set for a guts Ability Pokemon.

Flame Orb and Leftovers/Shell Bell + Guts = Sweeping Heal overkill? Yeah. ot so fair anymore. That will make conkeldurr to scary to face or switch

Status
Not open for further replies.