• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What if Pokemon Adventures did get popular as the anime? Are you in some ways glad it didn't?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So a common sight for Adventures fans is how they often wish that the Pokemon Company adapted Adventures into an anime instead of continuing the adventures of Ash. A simple anime adaptation with dedication and care to it would of course increase Adventures popularity immensely HOWEVER... in some ways, are you kind of glad that Pokemon Adventures isn't as popular as the anime?

Think about it. The GS Ball storyline. This was the Mask of Ice's big endgame plan, to use the GS Ball to capture time itself. It was a satisfactory explanation on what the GS Ball does and how relevant it was to not only the story but also the world of Pokemon itself. Now we got the GS Ball from the anime. It was never concluded but the thing is, the anime production crew originally planned to have a storyline built around the GS Ball. It turned out Celebi was in the GS ball this whole time and would meet Ash and his friends. However they needed a legendary for the 4th Pokemon movie and Celebi was available so they scrapped the entire GS Ball storyline hoping that fans won't remember. The thing is, the GS Ball storyline in the anime was kind of scrapped, interfered with because of the anime's popularity. Afterall the anime is the marketing face of Pokemon to children first, the importance of the story and characters being second. Also there is the fact that if Pokemon Adventures becomes popular through some big anime adaptation, there will undoubtedly be a new rush of fans. Will they have different or similar opinions to the old fans? Depends really on how the manga is adapted, who it appeals to and how it compares to the current anime featuring Ash. On the other hand, it's not entirely bad, Pokemon Adventures would get the popularity some fans think it deserves, I suppose for the die-hard fans more merch would be produced other than an art-book lol and I suppose many characters from not only the manga but the games that the manga faithfully represents would be more recognizable to casual fans, for starters Red himself. This could even possibly lead to more demand for Adventure adaptations of spinoff games showing different perspectives of the Pokemon world or side stories featuring previous characters that haven't been seen in a long while, which would mean possibly more writers handling the manga, and more writers means different opinions on how the manga would continue on which is either good or bad depending on those writers.

So in the end, I guess I am asking is that do you think if Pokemon Adventures gains enough popularity around the anime, recognizable by many casual Pokemon fans, what benefits or downsides could you see to it? If Pokemon Adventures does get popular through some anime adaptation, gaining a new rush of fans, do you think some of you might have a bias of seeing a "new generation" of Adventures storyline more in favor of those new fans, kind of similar to how fans have a diverse opinions on when Pokemon game series got good and got bad. If Pokemon Adventures was chosen as the marketing face of Pokemon by the Pokemon Company, do you think they will heavily interfere with the writers story ideas adapted from GameFreak's vision for each new generation for the sake of marketing Pokemon to children or expanding merchandise, like the GS Ball storyline scrapped in the anime for the movie. Are you excited at the idea of Pokemon Adventures becoming popular among casual fans and the new opportunities it could present? Heck, do you think Adventures popularity could impact on the games somehow in more clearer ways?

Last edited:

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Actually i am okay with way ps manga is now as i don't really care about whole popular anymore as i find it bit overrated nowadays .

And i has learn to reading other underrated Pokemon manga if i can find one of the course.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
The idea of Pokespe having an anime sounds nice on paper, but then you have to realize that a lot of the elements that make Pokespe as beloved as it is wouldn't exist. It being a manga gives Kusaka more freedom to do what he wants.

It would be interfered with by marketing, no doubt about that.

The violence that everyone kind of overblows would be toned down dramatically. No Arbok getting cut in half here. No people bleeding either. Wouldn't be surprised if humans rarely ever get hurt at all.

The girls probably wouldn't have such diverse Pokemon. The anime (especially in recent seasons) likes to give the female protagonists cute Pokemon (assuming the girls aren't tomboys like Misty or Iris) because they need to appeal to girls. Meanwhile we have Moon, a character with an Alolan Grimer and Mareanie. If this had an anime, she'd have neither, nor her Poison love.

Heck, I wouldn't even be surprised if it didn't change protagonists either.

shoz999

On the other hand, I wonder what kind of filler would we get if an anime adaptation happen? I was always curious how Blue got Squirtle or what Green was focusing on, considering he probably owns more Pokemon than any other trainer. Or would we get forced marketing filler, which thinking about it, wouldn't be a bad compromise if it means hands off from the main plot.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
The Pokémon anime series in its early days was more liberal with the use of violence and adult jokes. One of them a scene was depicting a Metapod being cut in half by a Pinsir. And let's not forget about gun usage in the hands of Wardern Kaiser. However, once it became clear that the Pokémon games (and the TV show) was going to be exported to the US, the anime began to tone down a lot of these aspects. Even Special, which became Adventures, had many scenes altered to better fit the audience demographic.

Keep in mind that manga and comics can get away with a lot more violence than their animated counterparts. Batman: The Animated Series, one of the most mature children animated shows, is nowhere near as bloody and violent as the comics that came out around the same time.

The Pokémon Special may be forced to ensure that the protagonist Red will be accompanied by companions to better appeal a wider demographic rather than simply the boys. In short comics, it is very easy to do a simple adventure of Red's everyday life and just focus on that. Anime, however, are notably a lot longer than the manga runs. Filler is necessary. And if it's just Red, it can get boring really quite without a diverse cast to continuously add more meat to the bone. After all, Ash Ketchum didn't get his human companions for no reason.

Additionally, the Adventures series emphasizes more on the human characters rather than say the Pokémon. A great deal of the anime's strength was treating Pokémon like Pikachu and Charizard as fully fledged characters by their own right instead of being the Pokémon that Ash has on his belt. This is essential for marketing, as Pokémon not Trainers are the real stars of the franchise. Because of that, every Pokémon is given the day in the limelight at some point, which is something Adventures doesn't do. Adventures focuses mainly on the episodic journey of the Pokémon Trainer first and foremost with Pokémon just being there naturally. It is essentially Pokémon: The Power of Us (aka Everyone's Story) decades before that movie was made (assuming that Dogasu was correct that nobody gave a lare text exposition about the Mythical Pokémon and everything we know about Zeraora is spoken amongst regular people).

For example, we never get a scene that demonstrates how useless Magikarp until it evolves into a vicious Gyarados as poor James finds out. We just see an angry Gyarados and a Pokédex explanation that it evolves from Magikarp. No useless Magikarp shown, and any attempts to showcase its true potential would have been spoiled by the early demonstration of Gyarados. This would not fly on a show that promotes the Pokémon of the Day for children to go find and catch in the game. The anime, on the other hand, highlights a possible way to get Magikarp (through a con-artist salesman), shows Magikarp to be useless for everything, and how its evolution Gyarados is terrifyingly strong in just two episode.

To summarize it short, Pokémon Adventures is a niche series for a reason. Though popular, it can never truly capture the wide-demographic that the original anime has without significantly changing its approach to virtually everything from violence to Pokémon. And if that happens, Adventures is not simply not Adventures. Its success and identity is primary due to its status as a niche series because it means that writers of this manga can take a lot more liberties with plot without worrying about executives meddling as much as the studios.

shoz999

That's pretty cool. You should make a thread out of it to get people's attention. I don't have a twitter account lol. Actually scratch that, is there even a news thread for the manga section?