• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What IF Pokemon Special (Adventures) was made into an Anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt0044

As the title implies, I'd like to know what you think what would happen if Hidenori Kusaka's Pokemon Manga was adapted into an Animated TV Series if the actual Anime was never thought of.

Here are some questions to think about:

1. Would the story in the Anime be different than in the Manga? The exact same? Or the same with a few fillers and extra stories?

2. Who would voice the characters in the Japanese and/or English versions?

3. Who would handle the dub and how would it be handled for US distribution?

4. How would the Animation and Character Designs be? Good? Bad? Average?

So go wild! Just remember that this is a "What If" topic so keep that in mind.

Last edited:

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
1. Would the story in the Anime be different than in the Manga? The exact same? Or the same with a few fillers and extra stories?
Well, it depends on when it would have been made. Had it been made when a good chunk of Pokemon Special was already out, my guess is it most likely would be the same for the most part, with just a few fillers and extra stories here and there. (since you very rarely get an anime adaptation of a manga without a few differences and filler/extra stories) If it was made when the manga was first starting out though, then it would have probably been based on the manga, but loosely. (kind of like Sailor Moon. If you've read the manga and then watch the anime you can tell that the anime is still based on it, just loosely. *since a lot of things are different between the two canons*)

2. Who would voice the characters in the Japanese and/or English versions?
Hmm, I dunno. I'll have to come back to this sometime. :p

3. Who would handle the dub and how would it be handled for US distribution?
Well, if we got a Pokemon Special anime instead of the Pokemon anime we have, my guess is it would be the exact same situation. (at least most likely) 4Kids would handle the dub and US distribution like they did with the anime we have now, and then later the other company that dubs Pokemon now would do it. (the name of the company escapes me at the moment) I don't really think the situation would be that different, but who knows?

4. How would the Animation and Character Designs be? Good? Bad? Average?
Depends on the studio that makes it. I would guess that the animation and character designs would be good or at least average. It's pretty rare that you see an anime that has really bad animation and character designs, especially when it's already based off of something (like a manga) as source material.

Last edited:

FiremanLV5

If the anime followed the story of Pokémon Adventures, it'd be SOOO much better.

-No more incompetent idiots as main characters.
-No more annoying female characters, but the badassery of the Adventures female characters instead (Krystaaaaal!)
-It would be both hilarious and interesting.
-The art style of the Adventures manga is really cool and I reckon it'd make for a great style for an anime too.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
If the anime followed the story of Pokémon Adventures, it'd be SOOO much better.

-No more annoying female characters, but the badassery of the Adventures female characters instead (Krystaaaaal!)
-It would be both hilarious and interesting.
-The art style of the Adventures manga is really cool and I reckon it'd make for a great style for an anime too.
Everything said above in this comment.

Satori

ʮɳȿʈɵҏҏɐɓʟɝ
IT wouldn't be childish and would actually get more viewers... but to do this viz and 4kids... Gatta go! seriously... Give it to someone else... Idc who just not some "Oh the word kill is there... lets totally change the convo" kind of people

Last edited:

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
but to do this viz and 4kids... Gatta go! seriously... Give it to someone else... Idc who just not some "Oh the word kill is there... lets totally change the convo" kind of people
Actually 4Kids no longer owns or dubs the Pokemon anime. And as for a good company to have it, FUNimation would be great.

E-Hero Winged Kuriboh

Except that's the charm of Dia and Pearl.

-No more annoying female characters, but the badassery of the Adventures female characters instead (Krystaaaaal!
That's just opinion. I personally found Crystal incredibly frustrating and almost mary sueesque in her "I'm the perfect Pokemon trainer" presentation. Not to mention she was a distraction to the plot-line that we'd been reading for ages, becoming a plug-in "WAIT! A new game just came out! Forget Silver and Gold, check out the new playable female!", which instantly made her a lot less appealing. And I personally like Dawn and Misty very much, far more then ANY of the Pokemon Special girls.

The Post-Johto Pokemon Adventure artwork is nice, so I'll give you that one, although I really hated Pre-Hoenn's lazy art that shifted into super deformed every now and then.

IT wouldn't be childish and would actually get more viewers...
Doubtful. Pokemon has been around for years, changing the formula would have lots of controversy, not to mention making a child's program "less childish" is a very BAD marketing idea.

Why does this thread not just get merged with the other "Special as an anime" thread anyway? Seems kinda pointless to have both.

Last edited:

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Doubtful. Pokemon has been around for years, changing the formula would have lots of controversy, not to mention making a child's program "less childish" is a very BAD marketing idea.
You do realize this thread is discussing what if Pokemon Special had become the Pokemon anime instead of the one we have now, right?

Why does this thread not just get merged with the other "Special as an anime" thread anyway? Seems kinda pointless to have both.
Probably because this one is discussing what would have happened had we got a Special anime instead of the one we had now, not why we don't have a Special anime. (which is what the other thread is about)

Last edited:

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Uh... Yes? Not really getting what you're trying to say here, as what I said is still relevant.
You're correct that most of what you said is relevant, but one thing in particular was not. This reply right here:
The reason it's not relevant is because your reply is talking about why it wouldn't be a good idea to replace the current anime with a Special one. This thread (and the person's post you were replying to) are talking about what if the current anime never existed and we got a Special anime instead, which means your reply isn't really relevant for this thread. For example, your points about Pokemon being around for years, that changing the formula would have lots of controversy and that making a child's program less childish isn't a good idea don't work in this context. (since if we got a Pokemon Special anime instead of the one we have now, we would have (most likely) got it when Pokemon was first starting out, it wouldn't be changing the formula of anything but inventing it, and it wouldn't be changing an existing program's (or series) format so it wouldn't be a problem.) Not to mention, you need to remember that Pokemon Special is still for kids both in the US and Japan, so even if it was made into an anime it wouldn't be "less childish" enough to have problems, especially since anything too bad would be changed while making the anime in Japan and since the dub would edit anything else that's "bad" for American children out.

Last edited:

matt0044

Here's another thing to think about: Would the reception and reputation for Pokemon overall among the general audience in the US and other countries outside Japan be different?

People base their opinion on Pokemon mostly on the Anime so if the Anime was adapted from the Manga, then what?

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
^ We'd get less fans that are uptight with the anime keeping up with a certain formula, at least. Or complaints about the lack of levels, TMs, and other game-related stuff. owo

I'm kind of mixed on this regarding characters. While I like most of the Special characters more than the anime's counterparts, I like some anime characters more than their manga versions. Myuutwo and Natane are two examples. Myuutwo's a funny case here. If the Myuutwo in the anime never existed, the Myuutwo in Special would probably never have become the badass that it was in the FRLG saga, since it's personality change was heavily based on the one that appeared in the Japanese version of the first movie. Both Myuutwo's have nice background stories, but the one in the anime was more tragic, in my opinion. Natane is eccentric in both the anime and Special, but she's much crazier in the anime... I liked it.

If the Special manga was adapted into an anime and the current anime never existed, the manga would be slightly different since some anime influences would no longer exist. Yellow's character might have not existed, since the Special Pikachu Edition of the Gen I games wouldn't have existed without the anime. Also, gasp, Game!Red's Pikachu in the GSC games might have not existed either, if you think about it. Going back in time to change one part of the franchise brings about a lot of changes to the other parts of the franchise as it is now... interesting. God damned butterfly effect.

Last edited:

matt0044

^ We'd get less fans that are uptight with the anime keeping up with a certain formula, at least. Or complaints about the lack of levels, TMs, and other game-related stuff. owo

If the Special manga was adapted into an anime and the current anime never existed, the manga would be slightly different since some anime influences would no longer exist. Yellow's character might have not existed, since the Special Pikachu Edition of the Gen I games wouldn't have existed without the anime. Also, gasp, Game!Red's Pikachu in the GSC games might have not existed either, if you think about it. Going back in time to change one part of the franchise brings about a lot of changes to the franchise as it is now... interesting. God damned butterfly effect.

Personally, the lack of levels, TMs, HMs and item you can use during battle would be for the best.

Also, your second paragraph makes a good point. Though we wouldn't care about Yellow if she didn't exist.

As for Mewtwo, I'm sure Kusaka would've thought of something in the FRLG saga.

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games
Isn't this topic almost the same as the many pokespecial in anime form topic?

Well anyway I wouldn't know how it would become I guess some fillers even thought it doesn't need any. Voices i don't know. About the anime in the U.S. well idk since with 4kids everything is bad dieing is bad they'll sencure Surge guns for sure like they do with Yu Gi Oh and some other anime. Dead will get sencured too. To say they'll sencure more than viz does with the manga. Not sure about the slap (glare) thing in GSC though.

matt0044

Isn't this topic almost the same as the many pokespecial in anime form topic?

Not really, we're just brainstorming as to what would happen IF the Manga was made into an Anime and took the place of the one we know all too well.

We're not demanding that one should be made now but wondering what if one was made from the start.

Rex Kamex

I can imagine the most violent and risque stuff in Special would be edited in Japan.

I also figured that in the Japanese version, Red would be voiced by Ash's Japanese voice actor, Green would be voiced by Gary's Japanese voice actor, Sapphire by May's, Platinum by Dawn's, and Crys by Marina's. Someone on Youtube suggested Naruto's Japanese voice for Gold, and I actually think that works better than Jimmy's Japanese voice actor.

Note: Just because, for example, Sapphire and May would have the same voice actor in Japan, that doesn't mean they have to sound the same.

... Now where's that Special anime episode list that I made up?

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games
I can imagine the most violent and risque stuff in Special would be edited in Japan.

I also figured that in the Japanese version, Red would be voiced by Ash's Japanese voice actor, Green would be voiced by Gary's Japanese voice actor, Sapphire by May's, Platinum by Dawn's, and Crys by Marina's. Someone on Youtube suggested Naruto's Japanese voice for Gold, and I actually think that works better than Jimmy's Japanese voice actor.

Note: Just because, for example, Sapphire and May would have the same voice actor in Japan, that doesn't mean they have to sound the same.

... Now where's that Special anime episode list that I made up?

That can be true but why would they have the same voice actors they may look the same but they aren't the same person. So it wouln't be that bad if they have different voice actors.

Rex Kamex

That can be true but why would they have the same voice actors they may look the same but they aren't the same person. So it wouln't be that bad if they have different voice actors.

I imagined it that way since they're counterparts of the same game characters. Although I will admit that Red from the talking Clefairy manga had a different Japanese voice than Japanese voice of Ash...

Although if the actual anime with Ash was never thought of, they might as well have used the same voice actors, imo. And again, Red, Green, etc. don't necessarily have to sound exactly like Ash, Gary, etc.

[spoil] Assuming there aren't any fillers, which I doubt. And assuming episodes, for the most part, end at the end of chapters.

EPISODE 01: Chp 1 "VS Mew" and Chp 2 "VS Machoke"
EPISODE 02: Chp 3 "VS Kangaskhan"
EPISODE 03: Chp 4 "VS Pikachu" and Chp 5 "VS Onix"
EPISODE 04: Chp 6 "VS Gyarados" and Chp 7 "VS Rhydon"
EPISODE 05: Chp 8 "VS Starmie"
EPISODE 06: Chp 9 "VS Fearow"
EPISODE 07: Chp 10 "VS Voltorb" and Chp 11 "VS Electabuzz"
EPISODE 08: Chp 12 "VS Snorlax"
EPISODE 09: Chp 13 "VS Psyduck" and Chp 14 "VS Arbok"
EPISODE 10: Chp 15 "VS Wartortle"
EPISODE 11: Chp 16 "VS Tauros" and Chp 17 "VS Jynx"
EPISODE 12: Chp 18 "VS Ninetales"
EPISODE 13: Chp 19 "VS Eevee" and Chp 20 "VS Vileplume"
EPISODE 14: Chp 21 "VS Nidoking" and Chp 22 "VS Victreebel"
EPISODE 15: Chp 23 "VS Magmar"
EPISODE 16: Chp 24 "VS Dragonite" and Chp 25 "VS Articuno"
EPISODE 17: Chp 26 "VS Moltres"
EPISODE 18: Chp 27 "VS Kadabra"
EPISODE 19: Chp 28 "VS Mr. Mime" and Chp 29 "VS Golbat"
EPISODE 20: Chp 30 "VS Zapdos" and Chp 31 "VS Articuno"
EPISODE 21: Chp 32 "VS Kadabra" and Chp 33 "VS Legendary Birds"
EPISODE 22: Chp 34 and Chp 35 "VS Mewtwo parts 1&2"
EPISODE 23: Chp 36 "VS Dratini"
EPISODE 24: Chp 37 "VS Golem" and Chp 38 "VS Nidoqueen"
EPISODE 25: Chp 39 "VS Spearow"
EPISODE 26: Chp 40 "VS Charizard"

EPISODE 27: Chp 41 "VS Ponyta" and Chp 42 "VS Dodrio"
EPISODE 28: Chp 43 "VS Seadra"
EPISODE 29: Chp 44 "VS Dewgong" and Chp 45 "VS Cloyster"
EPISODE 30: Chp 46 "VS Marowak" and Chp 47 "VS Persian"
EPISODE 31: Chp 48 "VS Paras" and Chp 49 "VS Gastly"
EPISODE 32: Chp 50 "VS Lapras" and Chp 51 "VS Magneton" and Chp 52 "VS Gengar"
EPISODE 33: Chp 53 "VS Caterpie" and Chp 54 "VS Pidgeotto"
EPISODE 34: Chp 55 "VS Primeape" Chp 56 "VS Slowpoke"
EPISODE 35: Chp 57 "VS Ekans" and Chp 58 "VS Tentacruel"
EPISODE 36: Chp 59 "VS Hitmonlee" and Chp 60 "VS Dragonair part 1"
EPISODE 37: Chp 61 and Chp 62 "VS Dragonair parts 2&3"
EPISODE 38: Chp 63 "VS Exeggutor" and Chp 64 "VS Arcanine"
EPISODE 39: Chp 65 "VS Machop" and Chp 66 "VS Poliwrath"
EPISODE 40: Chp 67 "VS Diglett" and Chp 68 "VS Jigglypuff"
EPISODE 41: Chp 69 "VS Horsea" and Chp 70 "VS Alakazam"
EPISODE 42: Chp 70 "VS Alakazam"* and Chp 71 "VS Muk" and Chp 72 "VS Weezing"
EPISODE 43: Chp 73 "VS Venomoth" and Chp 74 "VS Magikarp" and Chp 75 "VS Electrode"
EPISODE 44: Chp 76 "VS Chansey" and Chp 77 "VS Golduck"
EPISODE 45: Chp 77 "VS Golduck"** and Chp 78 "VS Venusaur"
EPISODE 46: Chp 79 and Cp 80 "VS Aerodactyl parts 1&2"
EPISODE 47: Chp 81 "VS Aerodactyl part 3" and Chp 82 "VS Raticate"
EPISODE 48: Chp 83 "VS Slowbro" and Chp 84 "VS Clefable"
EPISODE 49: Chp 85 "VS Shellder"
EPISODE 50: Chp 86 "VS Dragonite" and Chp 87 "VS Rhyhorn"
EPISODE 51: Chp 88 "VS Beedrill" and Chp 89 "VS Metapod"
EPISODE 52: Chp 90 "VS ??? [Lugia]"[/spoil]

Gotta look for the ones I did for Volumes 8 and 9. That's as far as I've gone.

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I already stated in another thread how I would dread if Red, Green, Sapphire, and Platina were voiced by Ash, Gary, May, and Dawn's actors. It's nothing against the actors as I think they did a good job with the anime ones, I just want them to sound different to distance themselves from their other sides. Red and Green are another story but Sapphire and Platina are nothing like May and Dawn other then their designs and they started with Torchic and Piplup. So them sounding like those two would be dreadful for their characters.

As for Red and Green even they are different. Green is more serious then Gary and more anti social as well while Gary loved to talk about himself and brag. Red is mostly like Ash but the major difference is Red grew up while Ash hasn't and probably never will until the very end. So I wouldn't like for them to be voiced by the same people even if they sounded different you'll probably still be able to hear a little of their voice in them anyway. This is really another reason I don't mind PokeSpecial not being made into a real anime. The Voice actor thing. Though seeing the ones on Youtube are always nice and fun this is mainly because they don't sound like their anime counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.