• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What if the actual Pokemon cries were used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vaporeon's name is Showers, but I hardly believe that's what the Japanese say.

Quilavaflare

Must protect baby frens
I'd have to say, I think that the anime might get a little more attention from more mature audiences, because a lot of people make fun of them for saying their names. Then again, we've all gotten used to it, and it does have a certain charm to it. In any case, I would actually like it if the pokemon sounded like animals, but not like the ones from the game. It would be a little less annoying at times...

*~Silver*~

I'd have to say, I think that the anime might get a little more attention from more mature audiences, because a lot of people make fun of them for saying their names. Then again, we've all gotten used to it, and it does have a certain charm to it. In any case, I would actually like it if the pokemon sounded like animals, but not like the ones from the game. It would be a little less annoying at times...

I can honestly say I've never made fun of Pokemon for saying their names instead of some sort of animal sound. [sub]I think I am a little younger than a lot of you though.[/sub] I always assumed the professors discovered a new Pokemon, and then actually named the Pokemon after what they said. That theory has always made more sense to me than the Pokemon being named something then somehow figuring out to say it. No, that's just stupid.

Honeyichigo

The manliest

Because Pokemon making weird mechanical cries in a medium where the rest of the audio was normal wouldn't be poked fun of at all, right? :p

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
^The OP covered that.

I always imagined something: what if instead of having Pokemon say their names, they actually have the cries used in the games? There would be slight alterations so it sounds authentic, but how would the series look if it was like that?

Emphasis added by me. :)

fitzy909

Just another guy
The problem is that not only are we used to them saying their names, but also their cries would seem odd compared to the human voices. Also, have you heard pignite and emboar's cry... they sound like farts. that would definitely stop a few people watching, because a few pokemon's cries are just strange and annoying to listen to.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
Stadium 2 shows that game cries can work if altered to sound realistic. Pikachu would be the exception, though.

!jirachi!

3/4 dead...
hmm... I think it's better not using the game cries.
though it's really awesome meowth can talk!

Crystal Power

I don't know, really depends on the Pokemon. For example I like Pikachu saying it's name better. Sounds more cuter. :- P

lollygag

Banned
That would be a pretty cool idea - but some of the cries might creep younger viewers out.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I think the show would be less popular if they used the actual returns.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
There's a Pikachu in the Vermillion city's Pokemon Fan-Club. It's Blue-version dialog contains it's name. I don't know if they changed it's dialog to be consistant with the anime, however.

Chriiis

I think the only way this could be pulled off is if the battles were actually more like the anime battles. The scenarios that are shown are what I think makes it much less irritating to hear them say their names in the anime(good ex: in Ash's battle with Bertha, her Hippowdon's speech timing was pretty good when it nailed Torterra with that Fire Fang, it was also pretty funny seeing his Torterra go 'errrr' as it was slammed into the ground). The way the games are, and being turn based, it would just be too repetitive.

StarSurgeX

☆ I'm The Captain
It would be awesome if on Pokemon X&Y they change the sounds and use actual anime cries it would be some EPIC but i'm sure never gonna happen

Canada

Banned
That would sound terrible, though I don't really like them saying their names either.

Canada

Banned
why cant pokemon just speak? i can see ash's squirtle with like a "bro" personality

Because that would be creepy.

even though I know you're trolling

Princess Raspberyl

~Shining One~
why cant pokemon just speak? i can see ash's squirtle with like a "bro" personality

Why is it that when I read this I picture Mieu from Tales of the Abyss abridged speaking gangster and attempting to slap Luke for hatin' on his bling? D8 o_o ...That wouldn't be good, not good at all dood D8

Status
Not open for further replies.