• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What? I'm a certified rater? Well, RMT.

randomspot555

To make this clear, this is a Wi-Fi team, as in with a Diamond cartridge and a Nintendo DS. Hypnosis' accuracy is still 70% on Wi-Fi.

I've noticed that I've rated tons of teams, but haven't posted one in a long time. Please note that this team is for Wi-Fi and not Shoddy. I do not have easy access to Platinum moves, but go ahead and suggest them anyway. I'm also not really big on breeding for specific Hidden Powers...since, well, it's a pain to do. It also means that Celebi and Jirachi aren't prominant threats on Wi-Fi, and I won't likely be adding them or the Dog trio to my team, due to scarcity/crappy IVs (all of my dogs have 0 IVs in like 2-3 stats :( ).

Updates section:
Personal crap: Academic work is piling on, so updates to the OP may be slow. I super-de-duper promise that I will actually look at all of your rates and take them into consideration. Just because I shoot it down in a post doesn't mean I won't implement it (don't ask, it's just how my mind works)
Made a note on Dragonite. Will check to see what Hidden Powers I have available. HP Ground will be a great help if I can get it, since I don't have a single ground move for consideration outside of Aerodactyl. Will also see what HP Gengar has.
Will look over the revised Starmie page posted on the Smogon forums, and see what I can do from there.

And as a note, I'll be editing any modifications into my post. I'll try to bold them and give credit where credit is due.

To start:

Aerodactyl w/ Focus Sash
Jolly
Pressure
252 Atk/252 Speed/6 HP
-Taunt
-Fire Fang/Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake/Stone Edge/Crunch

While I don't have easy access to Plat moves, that doesn't mean Plat moves aren't a threat on Wi-Fi. This is basically designed with BP Scizor in mind. It'll get priority and break my Sash, but I can OHKO back with Fire Fang, even with 252 HP, as long as it doesn't have that stupid berry. I'll be removing Fire Fang if Scizor isn't a starter Wi-Fi threat, because Stone Edge+EQ is much better for coverage.

Crunch can lay into Gengar, and OHKO a Scarf variant, and 2hko the sash.

Taunt can shut down set ups and help set up SR. If I run into levitating Bronzong, that'll be a cause to switch (or accept death, not sure which yet).

Starmie w/ Leftovers or Life Orb
Timid
160 HP/132 Sp atk/216 speed
Natural Cure
-Reflect
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Surf

I came close to using Vaporeon, but I decided I wanted a guy who could hit hard as well. Reflect will help lessen the hurt of the various physical and mixed threats in the metagame, and everything else for great coverage.

And while the EV spread is to take down a no-Yache w/ no defense EVs Garchomp, many, many Dragonite and Salamences are carrying Yache berries. These EVs are still needed, though I might be adjusting them just a bit if I go for Life Orb.

The big fear for him is an unexpected DD boosted Earthquake from Gyarados. He's survived, in many cases, but just barely. That's why this d00d is in reserve.

EDIT: Just say the Starmie revamp thread on Smogon's forums, and I'm taking it into consideration.

Gengar w/ Choice Scarf
Modest
Levitate
252 special atk/252 speed/6 HP
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
-Energy Ball/Focus Blast
-Hypnosis/Focus Blast

Hypnosis still has 70% accuracy on Wi-Fi, as far as my Diamond cartridge is concerned. Modest is for an extra boost in special attack, since not much will be outrunning him besides Timid Scarf Gengars, and Scarf Gengar doesn't seem to be too common on Wi-Fi, so this often catches them off guard.

Energy Ball is basically for Swampert. I don't foresee it causing TOO many problems with my team, but if I go with Energy Ball, I know I can OHKO it with that instead of STAB Surf or STAB Shadow Ball.

Hypnosis means I have to switch out right afterwards if it strikes, but I'll live with that. Especially since his counters can likely be man handled by:

Scizor w/ Life Orb
Adamant
252 HP/252 Atk/6 defense
Technician
-Pursuit
-Quick Attack
-Bullet Punch
-Swords Dance

Can switch in on many that can give Starmie harm too. This guy is all about priority, and hopefully I can fit in a SD or two. Great revenge killer if Starmie and Gengar need someone to finish the job. Can set up in the middle of an Outrage too.

Now, I'm torn with Blissey. I've always wanted to abuse Serene Grace with her...but something just makes me stop and re-think each time, so I'll post two sets, and you guys tell me if I'm crazy or not.

Blissey w/ Leftovers
Bold
Natural Cure
140 HP/252 Def/116 Sp atk
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt/Thunder Wave/Toxic
-Softboiled
-Aromatherapy/Sing

It can take lighter physical hits and soak up special ones, do some damage, and absorb status. It's standard, tried and true. Can come in on other Gengar and fire breathers that threaten other team members. It won't stay in on Mixape, but it can attract a Close Combat while it switches out to Gengar. And if I can get Reflect up, it'll help some too.

I was THINKING of going for Serene Grace, and dropping Thunderbolt for Thunder, and keep Aromatherapy on.

If I stay with this set (probably will since I'm a naturally cautious person), I might ditch Aromatherapy because 2 of my guys are natural cure anyway, so Sing can provide some random fun.

And to finish out the game:

Dragonite w/ Choice Specs
Mild
Inner Focus
252 speed/252 special attack/6 HP
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower
-Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Surf
EDIT: Since this is a special attacker, I'll check in and see what Hidden Power it has. An HP Ground would be useful for Heatran and Magnezone.

That's right. TRU Dragonite. The plan is to scout out my opponent and eliminate or status any speedy threats, and let this guy take care of the rest. Draco Meteor to destroy almost everything (needs to switch afterwards), Dragon Pulse to hurt without lowering my Special Attack, Flamethrower rips Skarmory to shreds...

and undecided on the last one. But I'm leaning torwards Ice Beam.

I think I did a fairly good job at not making my team super weak to everything. I thought of adding Mixape, but his ground weakness wasn't very appealing. I'm considering Vaporeon's Wish/Yawn set, but I can't seem to think of where it will fit in the team. No spinner is here because Aero will be dead, and Dragonite can live without it.

Last edited:

richard

Fire Master
I've noticed that I've rated tons of teams, but haven't posted one in a long time. Please note that this team is for Wi-Fi and not Shoddy. I do not have easy access to Platinum moves, but go ahead and suggest them anyway. I'm also not really big on breeding for specific Hidden Powers...since, well, it's a pain to do. It also means that Celebi and Jirachi aren't prominant threats on Wi-Fi, and I won't likely be adding them or the Dog trio to my team, due to scarcity/crappy IVs (all of my dogs have 0 IVs in like 2-3 stats :( ).

And as a note, I'll be editing any modifications into my post. I'll try to bold them and give credit where credit is due.

To start:

Aerodactyl w/ Focus Sash
Jolly
Pressure
252 Atk/252 Speed/6 HP
-TauntFire/Ice Fang Taunt is still a good suggestion
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge

While I don't have easy access to Plat moves, that doesn't mean Plat moves aren't a threat on Wi-Fi. This is basically designed with BP Scizor in mind. It'll get priority and break my Sash, but I can OHKO back with Fire Fang, even with 252 HP, as long as it doesn't have that stupid berry. I'll be removing Fire Fang if Scizor isn't a starter Wi-Fi threat, because Stone Edge+EQ is much better for coverage.

Crunch can lay into Gengar, and OHKO a Scarf variant, and 2hko the sash.

Taunt can shut down set ups and help set up SR. If I run into levitating Bronzong, that'll be a cause to switch (or accept death, not sure which yet).

Timid
Natural Cure
-Reflect
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Surf
Okay with me, but I think about Recover over Reflect. Both Recover and Reflect are good.
I came close to using Vaporeon, but I decided I wanted a guy who could hit hard as well. Reflect will help lessen the hurt of the various physical and mixed threats in the metagame, and everything else for great coverage.

And while the EV spread is to take down a no-Yache w/ no defense EVs Garchomp, many, many Dragonite and Salamences are carrying Yache berries. These EVs are still needed, though I might be adjusting them just a bit if I go for Life Orb.

The big fear for him is an unexpected DD boosted Earthquake from Gyarados. He's survived, in many cases, but just barely. That's why this d00d is in reserve.

EDIT: Just say the Starmie revamp thread on Smogon's forums, and I'm taking it into consideration.

Gengar w/ Choice Scarf
Modest
Levitate
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
-Focus Blast
-Hypnosis
You don't really need Energy Ball since you Starmie and Blissey.

Hypnosis still has 70% accuracy on Wi-Fi, as far as my Diamond cartridge is concerned. Modest is for an extra boost in special attack, since not much will be outrunning him besides Timid Scarf Gengars, and Scarf Gengar doesn't seem to be too common on Wi-Fi, so this often catches them off guard.

Hypnosis means I have to switch out right afterwards if it strikes, but I'll live with that. Especially since his counters can likely be man handled by:

Scizor w/ Life Orb
Adamant
252 HP/252 Atk/6 defense
Technician
-Pursuit
-Quick Attack
-Bullet Punch
-Swords Dance
Looks okay with me. Are you using Scizor as a first striker.

Can switch in on many that can give Starmie harm too. This guy is all about priority, and hopefully I can fit in a SD or two. Great revenge killer if Starmie and Gengar need someone to finish the job. Can set up in the middle of an Outrage too.

Now, I'm torn with Blissey. I've always wanted to abuse Serene Grace with her...but something just makes me stop and re-think each time, so I'll post two sets, and you guys tell me if I'm crazy or not.

Blissey w/ Leftovers
Bold
Natural Cure
-Ice Beam
-Softboiled
-Aromatherapy/Sing
OK
It can take lighter physical hits and soak up special ones, do some damage, and absorb status. It's standard, tried and true. Can come in on other Gengar and fire breathers that threaten other team members. It won't stay in on Mixape, but it can attract a Close Combat while it switches out to Gengar. And if I can get Reflect up, it'll help some too.

I was THINKING of going for Serene Grace, and dropping Thunderbolt for Thunder, and keep Aromatherapy on.

If I stay with this set (probably will since I'm a naturally cautious person), I might ditch Aromatherapy because 2 of my guys are natural cure anyway, so Sing can provide some random fun.

Mild
Inner Focus
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower
OK I wouldn't worry about Ice Beam or Surf since your Dragonite's Flamethrower and Thunderbolt has it covered. You have Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse for Dragons anyway
That's right. TRU Dragonite. The plan is to scout out my opponent and eliminate or status any speedy threats, and let this guy take care of the rest. Draco Meteor to destroy almost everything (needs to switch afterwards), Dragon Pulse to hurt without lowering my Special Attack, Flamethrower rips Skarmory to shreds...

I think I did a fairly good job at not making my team super weak to everything. I thought of adding Mixape, but his ground weakness wasn't very appealing. I'm considering Vaporeon's Wish/Yawn set, but I can't seem to think of where it will fit in the team. No spinner is here because Aero will be dead, and Dragonite can live without it.

Changes in bold. Overall, very good team. Not much to say. Since you said Starmie is your reserve, who is your other choice?

UltimoVenusaur

DracoFist FTW
We need more Wi-Fi teams around here...

Aerodactyl w/ Focus Sash
Jolly
Pressure
252 Atk/252 Speed/6 HP
-Taunt
-Fire Fang
-Stealth Rock
-Crunch

EQ/SE provide better general coverage, but I think you're looking at specific threats here. Therefore, go with FF and Crunch to combat Scizor switch-ins (should be plenty with them salivating to take out Aero with their STAB, SE Bullet Punches) and Gengar leads, respectively.

Starmie w/ Leftovers
Timid
Natural Cure
-Reflect
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Surf

I never liked the idea of inducing recoil on bulky builds. Go with Lefties here. Stall with power rather than try to overpower while pretending to be bulkier.

Gengar w/ Choice Scarf
Modest
Levitate
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
-Energy Ball
-Focus Blast

The only thing I see you having on this team to handle Swampert is Draco Meteor on Dragonite, and if you mispredict and come in on Ice Beam instead of, say Earthquake, you just lost your special beast. Go with Energy Ball for Swampie and then Focus Blast to round out coverage with Shadow Ball to cover the rest.

Scizor w/ Life Orb
Adamant
252 HP/252 Atk/6 defense
Technician
-Pursuit
-Quick Attack
-Bullet Punch
-Swords Dance

I'm sure Blue Ace or someone will probably refine the EV spread for you, but other than that, it looks pretty standard.

Blissey w/ Leftovers
Bold
Natural Cure
-Ice Beam
-Softboiled
-Aromatherapy/Sing

Most people will say go with the Natural Cure set, but I like a good gamble and a set that thinks outside the box, so I say go with the Serene Grace Thunder/Aromatherapy iteration.

Mild
Inner Focus
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower

I don't know what to suggest with your last move, although your preference towards Ice Beam seems a bit moot with Draco Meteor hitting the Dragons you'd get with it as hard if not harder. Also, you kinda get walled by Heatran with this set with IB, but then again, you have several others on your team that can attack Heatran effectively, so Dragonite would have to be the last one standing for that to be a problem. I guess it comes down to what you fear most: Gyarados, Gliscor or Heatran/Infernape.

Good team, but I expected nothing less :)

Last edited:

Deboog

Seribii Staff...rly!
This is awkward, rating a team by a certified rater...

Recover > Reflect om Starmie. Although reflect is good, Starmie would then need wish support which you don't have. Speed is useless on your Scizor, as it uses only priority moves to attack (assuming you only use pursuit on the switch), so put the 4 EVs in defence. I have always put Toxic on my Blisseys to win stall wars, but maybe that's just me. Most people like T-Wave. Your diamond might say 70 acuuracy Hypnosis, but if you fight a platinum game it will be 60. The rest of your team seems based to counter Platinum threats, so I would stay with Focus Blast and Energy Ball. Energy Ball is being forgotten, but it is a really good move on Gengar. Give Dragonite Surf.

UltimoVenusaur

DracoFist FTW
Recover > Reflect om Starmie. Although reflect is good, Starmie would then need wish support which you don't have.

Reflect provides team support and Starmie's fast enough to take down threats before they can hurt it.

Speed is useless on your Scizor, as it uses only priority moves to attack (assuming you only use pursuit on the switch), so put the 4 EVs in defence.

Dude, did you actually read the spread? It's Max HP/Atk 6 Def.

randomspot555

Reflect provides team support and Starmie's fast enough to take down threats before they can hurt it.

(responding to you and the other guy)My thinking is that Reflect will go well with Leftovers, and Recover with Life Orb. Starmie is bulky, but it has a few too many weaknesses to just soak up hits like Skarmory, Blissey, and Snorlax can. And Reflect really helps out in the physical dominated metagame. Of course, as physical becomes more and more popular, some special threats will come up to lessen their power (Hi, Heatran), and then special will be on the rise, then the process will start over again.

But I'm really big on building a team that is actually, you know, a team. Recover is great for Starmie by itself, but Reflect helps out everyone for a few turns, and eases my mind when I need to counter.

As for Hypnosis' accruacy: On WI-FI (not local DS wireless/link battling/Union Room), it's still 70% from what I hear. Anyone who owns Plat and has battled someone with D/P on Wi-fi, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, and Richard, Ice Fang is not an option as far as I'm concerned. What point does Ice Fang serve? What other starters will it hit? The Fake Out users like Infernape and Weavile laugh it off, and Scizor resists ice.

Last edited:

Digital Love

Jew 'Fro's Graduate
Sing is so pointless it's not even funny IMO. Go with Thunder Wave or Toxic, and still use Thunderbolt (if you decide against Aromatherapy.)

Suprisingly enough PZ loves this team, but it should only be a real concern after an Agility. Otherwise very solid team

richard

Fire Master
Oh, and Richard, Ice Fang is not an option as far as I'm concerned. What point does Ice Fang serve? What other starters will it hit? The Fake Out users like Infernape and Weavile laugh it off, and Scizor resists ice.

Which is why I suggested Fire Fang also; Ice Fang is just a suggestion. As for Hypnosis, I searched for its accuracy and it changed to 60% for Pokemon Platinum. If that give you problems, just replace it with Energy Ball for Gengar.

randomspot555

Which is why I suggested Fire Fang also; Ice Fang is just a suggestion. As for Hypnosis, I searched for its accuracy and it changed to 60% for Pokemon Platinum. If that give you problems, just replace it with Energy Ball for Gengar.

This is a Wi-Fi team. In the Wi-Fi enviornment, it is still 70%. It only changes to 60% if the battle takes place in the Union Room with at least one Platinum cartridge. I'm unsure of what happens when a Wi-Fi battle takes place between one or two Plat carts, but since 95% of the people I'll be battling don't own Platinum, it won't be a problem.

To prevent anymore of this "n00b hypnosis is 60%", I'm just going to bold it at the top of my first post.

zandgaia

*Gasp* He's back!
To make this clear, this is a Wi-Fi team, as in with a Diamond cartridge and a Nintendo DS. Hypnosis' accuracy is still 70% on Wi-Fi.

Updates section:
Made a note on Dragonite. Will check to see what Hidden Powers I have available. HP Ground will be a great help if I can get it, since I don't have a single ground move for consideration outside of Aerodactyl. Will also see what HP Gengar has.
Will look over the revised Starmie page posted on the Smogon forums, and see what I can do from there.

To start:

Aerodactyl w/ Focus Sash
Jolly
Pressure
252 Atk/252 Speed/6 HP
-Taunt
-earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Stone edge

While I don't have easy access to Plat moves, that doesn't mean Plat moves aren't a threat on Wi-Fi. This is basically designed with BP Scizor in mind. It'll get priority and break my Sash, but I can OHKO back with Fire Fang, even with 252 HP, as long as it doesn't have that stupid berry. I'll be removing Fire Fang if Scizor isn't a starter Wi-Fi threat, because Stone Edge+EQ is much better for coverage.your hitting the right 1

Timid
Natural Cure
-Reflect/recover
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Surf

Gengar w/ Choice Scarf
Modest
Levitate
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
-energy ball
-focus blast

Energy Ball is basically for Swampert. I don't foresee it causing TOO many problems with my team, but if I go with Energy Ball, I know I can OHKO it with that instead of STAB Surf or STAB Shadow Ball.

Scizor w/ Life Orb
Adamant
252 HP/252 Atk/6 defense
Technician
-Pursuit
-u-turn/x-scissor
-Bullet Punch
-Swords Dance

not to be hard but...if you are a good rater y quick attack..better of with a stab bug move

Blissey w/ Leftovers
Bold
Natural Cure
-Seismictoss
-toxic
-Softboiled
-Aromatherapy

i would think of this(prefer toxic over t-wave caues of stall 1 vs 1.. seismic toss for damage and aromatherapy over sing with crappy pp)

Mild
Inner Focus
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower
-surf
EDIT: Since this is a special attacker, I'll check in and see what Hidden Power it has. An HP Ground would be useful for Heatran and Magnezone.

i have no experience with dragonite so i better say nothing here otherwise maybe wrong.. but i would prefer surf

comments in bold
pretty solid team..

lunar22

Da Boss Nigg@
I recommend Brick Break/x-Scissor over quick attack, bullet Punch does the same job,but with STAB.

I really never run into scizor leads(that could be just me though) So Id advise Stone Edge over fire fang.

CROWN

Quintessant Ruin
I'm not sure if should even try, but perhaps Ice Beam would be good for your Dragonite as it takes out many common threats such as TyraniBoah and friends.

UltimoVenusaur

DracoFist FTW
REgardless of whether Scizor is a lead or not, you can pretty much guarantee that if your opponent has a Bullet Punch Scizor, it will, or at least should, switch in, making Fire Fang imperative on the set, I think.

randomspot555

^^That's my thinking, at least. That's why I'm leaning torwards keeping Fire Fang on Aerodactyl to start, and then having Dragonite take care of it in the late game when need be. Nothing else can really OHKO it.

I'm not sure if should even try, but perhaps Ice Beam would be good for your Dragonite as it takes out many common threats such as TyraniBoah and friends.

I don't plan on Dragonite staying in on Tyranitar at all if I have a choice, and it has almost no chance of OHKO that beast even if it isn't a bulky T-Tar set, and Tyraniboah would be even worse.

But worst comes to worse, I can lose someone and then revenge kill. Gengar outspeeds everything, Starmie can set up a screen (and both of these guys wouldn't mind switchin in on a Focus Punch), Scizor can just tear it up, etc...

Fake edit:...CROWN, you do know that Ice is only neutral damage on Tyranitar, right? If Dragonite wants to only deal neutral damage on T-Tar, it can Draco Meteor.

As for Scizor: Quick Attack is there because I'm really liking the whole priority move thing. I know QA isn't looked on as super powerful, but it'll be handy against those that resist Steel, like the waters and Infernape.

VVVV I'll certainly think about that. The advantage that I see is that it could break a sub, then cause some damage on the second hit.

Last edited:

cloudk

hates you.
Just here about the quick attack issue.

Since scizor can actually take a hit or two from gyara and bulky waters, i'd actually recommend double hit. It's actually 105 base power total, stronger than bullet punch, so it's definitely not weak. I tried it on my CBscizor and it actually worked pretty well.

+2 Double hit to 252/252 gyarados: 69.29%~81.73%
You have a 52% chance to actually OHKO that dang gyara.
Gyara can't really do much to you after intimidating, so you can actually SD 1 more time to +3 and get a OHKO with double hit.
+2 double hit to 252/252 zapdos:67.97%~80.21%
Yes, another potential OHKO.
Here are some more calcs because i'm horribly bored.
+2 DB to 252/252 mence:68%~80%
+2 DB to 252/252 blissey:82.77%~97.48%
+2 DB to 252/252infernape(If he switches in):81%~96%
+2 DB to 252/252 swampert:62%~73%
+2 DB to 252/252 suicune:52% to 62%
+2 DB to 252/252 vaporeon:69%~81%

As you can see, double hit can actually 2hko quite a lot of pokemon that can otherwise wall scizor somewhat, so if you're using quick attack, you might consider using Double Hit too. Of course, this is just a suggestion-quick attack works fine too.