• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is a good hidden power?

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
Never mind about how to find the type the pokemon's hidden power. That is not the question I'm going to ask.

Without spamming rare candies or a gabillion hours training a pokemon too a hundred level just to see its IVs for an accurate answer for hidden power's power (and type) using this (only to forget about the pokemon's EVs), how is it possible to measure (or at least estimate) how powerful your pokemon's hidden power can it be (aka how high its base power is)?

And secondly, what is the minimum base power of hidden power that is good enough for competitive battle? (which is definitely NOT 30)

This applies to all Gens except for the very first.

Skeletim

< He is the bestest!
I thought the base power of hidden power was always 70?? I could be wrong though. Serebbi's main site should have it somewhere, probably in Game mechanics.

Skeletim

Clash

He's Back!
You wouldn't want anything under 70. Finding the right hidden power, with the right type AND good power is near impossible.

MareepMan

^ What he said. It all depends on what pokemon you're going to be running and what type of set you have on it really. 70 is always great base power (as its HP's maximum) but I tend to try and get anything over 60 or so. I'm not sure how you would measure it though before lvl 100. I suppose the best idea would be to do a lvl 100 battle but I can't think of anything else.

noobiess

6 different pokemon
I wouldn't waste time on finding the writgh HP, the chance you find a pokemon with the right IV and nature and HP is pretty small

^
I know what you mean.
For a while now, I've been trying to get a certaing HP for My Espeon to counter Dark attacks.
I fail though..

Well, for in-game I generally settle as long as I get the type I want, regardless what the power is (if it is too weak, I eventually just stop using it). Competitively, you'll want 70, but 60+ should hopefully be okay.

Murra Myrrh

First 5th Gen Shiny!
Well...Like everyone else is saying, it's pritty darn hard to get the right nature and HP type and power. You might as well look for a Shiny with 31 IV across the board, not cheated.

There is an easy way to see exactly your IV and HP without all that fun leveling. You could do something called an 'IV battle.' It's when two people go into a battle that will auto level your guys to 100 and I guess you know what to do from there. No training is required, just a lot of hatching/catching. It's all luck man. I've never had the best of luck so I don't really use HP unless if it is useable and will help and not hinder. Anything 60+ should get the job done.

~Cosmic~

The Plot Thickens
I try over 63-65. But I only have 4 Pokemon who have perfect 70's and right type, 2 through trading. It's hard, man.

I can tell you right now. ask almost any competitive battler with a good HP how they got it, and how long it took, especially on non-breedable pokemon. This is what they'll most likely say...
Not long, action replayed ;_;

PokeFreak001

Queen of Ice
its a nightmare to get it and when you do (if you can) your so burnt out its not even funny I dont even try anymore I just plan my teams better so I dont have to worry about having a pokemon that needs it

Perfect Sphere

The best way to get your hidden power type and power is to do an IV battle with someone, over wifi. Just hatch a ton of pokemon, choose which ones fit the criteria you need (nature, ability, gender, etc...) then have someone battle you with these Pokemon at level 100 on wifi, there stats will automatically be leveled up too. Then all you need to do is write them down and plug them into a calculator.

Its not as hard as you may think to get the right hidden power on a pokemon, and I would say anything with 65+ power is good. You just have to do what is known as Hidden Power Breading. Which is when you get a Pokemon with a good stat for a specific hidden power, you replace the current parent with the new pokemon, this increases you chances of getting that hidden power again, hopefully with better IVs.

If I remember it took me about a week to get my Hidden Power electric (70) Wailord.