• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is a good Pokemon to Raise for Catching?

Holla

Pokèmon Master
In past generations I always used a Smeargle for catching Pokemon especially when shiny hunting. Since It's not in Sword and Shield I'm looking to raise a different Pokemon for this role. Any suggestions?

For reference, in the past I used a Smeargle with the Technician Ability with these moves:

Spore: An accurate move to put Pokemon to sleep
False Swipe: To weaken Pokemon to 1HP (have to be mindful of self damaging moves and weather effects)
Soak: To change the typing of ghosts so I can False Swipe them
Taunt: Situational but was super useful against Memento Spiritomb for example

I know this exact moveset probably won't be feasible on a different 'mon, but it's more to give you an idea of what I'm trying to build. I'm also open to using a combination of Pokemon if need be.

Thanks for any and all help! :)

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Synchronize Gallade with Hypnosis, False Swipe, Thunder Wave, & a filler move is what I've been using since Gen 4

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Gallade with Hypnosis, False Swipe, Thunder Wave, & a filler move is what I've been using since Gen 4
Ah, so what you're saying is I should catch that Gallade I keep seeing wandering around.

Holla

Pokèmon Master
Synchronize Gallade with Hypnosis, False Swipe, Thunder Wave, & a filler move is what I've been using since Gen 4

Ok I'll give Gallade a shot. I much prefer the 100% accuracy of Spore but I don't think can get that in combination with False Swipe on the same 'mon in Sword and Shield. I'll just have to bare with the 60% accuracy.

Also, when do you tend use thunder wave over hypnosis?

Holla

Pokèmon Master
I suppose teaching it Sunny Day or Rain Dance might be a good idea for those sandstorm and hailing battles...

Ignition

I used Thunder Wave over Hypnosis when a Pokémon had Insomnia or I wanted to rely on Thunder Wave's pre gen 7 perfect accuracy

Holla

Pokèmon Master
I used Thunder Wave over Hypnosis when a Pokémon had Insomnia or I wanted to rely on Thunder Wave's pre gen 7 perfect accuracy

That's a good point, thanks! Status moves sure have gotten nerfed accuracy wise over the years eh?

Ignition

Oh & TW was also good because you can't remove it unlike Hypnosis's limited counter

Try Pangoro. Sword Dance to power up False Swipe and if you can get it with its hidden ability, Scrappy, it will hit ghosts. It gets Taunt but no sleep move. Pancham is easily available early in the game.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Just a quick nitpick, Gallade drops Synchronize when it evolves. Unless they changed something, you’ll have to use a fainted Nature setter in the lead.

Shedinja is situationally a decent catcher. Game Freak just had to get rid of Parasect, Breloom, and Smeargle in the same Gen!