• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is Ash's Weakest Pokemon?

Kage-Pikachu

if we're not counting his Beedrill and Raticate, then I say Butterfree. Totodile took down Team Rocket's borrowed Charizard and also a Sneasel that KOed a Machamp. He's not as strong as Misty's Poliwhirl but he is no slouch. Scraggy has powerful moves and has some actual victories under it.

Applecorp

I disagree regarding the Tauros comment. Ash used an untrained Tauros against Drake; and despite the latter being this super powerful and undefeated trainer; Tauros took out Venesaur and actually hurt Dragonite.
That was just OS plot bullshit tbh. He also used an inexperienced Krabby/Kingler in his first Indigo league battle and somehow beat Mandi's 3 Pokemon.

OT; Scraggy is his weakest Pokemon and also his worst looking one. :p

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Ranking of Ash’s team strength in each region-
1. Kanto and Johto, Unova - medium gym leader level
2. Hoenn and Sinnoh - upper gym leader level
3. Kalos - Elite 4 level
4. Alola - beginner gym leader level or lower
5. Galar - champion level

AJ97

That was just OS plot bullshit tbh. He also used an inexperienced Krabby/Kingler in his first Indigo league battle and somehow beat Mandi's 3 Pokemon.

OT; Scraggy is his weakest Pokemon and also his worst looking one. :p
Not a fair argument considering we have Dracovish beat a Regional Champion's pokemon in Journeys. Compared to that Tauros and Krabby's feats are far more reasonable lol.

Ryker101

Ranking of Ash’s team strength in each region-
1. Kanto and Johto, Unova - medium gym leader level
2. Hoenn and Sinnoh - upper gym leader level
3. Kalos - Elite 4 level
4. Alola - beginner gym leader level or lower
5. Galar - champion level
‘Beginner gym leader’ lmaoo

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
You have to give her credit for not saying "rookie trainer level".
Everyone knows that in order to challange Falkner in GSC you need to beat a Golisopod, Scizor, Silvally, Zoroark, Lycanroc, Emploeon, Venusaur, Lucario, Braviary and Incineroar.

The problem in Alola League is that the level difference between the weakest trainers (Mallow, Lillie etc) and strongest (Gladion, Guzma, Kiawe) is the biggest of all the other Leagues.

Let's say an average League lv is 50 and trainers in Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos are between 30-70 for Alolai it's 10-90

AJ97

Everyone knows that in order to challange Falkner in GSC you need to beat a Golisopod, Scizor, Silvally, Zoroark, Lycanroc, Emploeon, Venusaur, Lucario, Braviary and Incineroar.

The problem in Alola League is that the level difference between the weakest trainers (Mallow, Lillie etc) and strongest (Gladion, Guzma, Kiawe) is the biggest of all the other Leagues.

Let's say an average League lv is 50 and trainers in Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos are between 30-70 for Alolai it's 10-90
Not really. The gap has arguably been much worse in the Kalos and Sinnoh Leagues.

The same could be said about the Kalos League and Sinnoh League as well.

Tobias was leagues ahead of all the other participants in the Sinnoh League. Then there's Ash and Paul also; who were arguably a tier above the rest of the competition based on Ash's performance against Tobias and Paul being the only other one who would've performed on the same level as Ash.

Similarly in the Kalos league; Alain has an Elite four-tier ace which was leagues ahead of the rest of the competition. Ash was the only one who had a Pokemon of somewhat comparable strength and maybe Sawyer falls a couple of tier below.

The only difference in the Alola League is that both the bottom/base tier was much lower. A regular trainer from the Sinnoh League/Kalos League would have destroyed James, Lillie, Mallow etc.
Similarly, even the High tier trainers in the Alola league; were much Inferior to high-tier trainers in the other leagues.

Guzma, Gladion, Kiawe were all much inferior to Ash.
Frankly, Kukui was the closest to a High tier League opponent in the Alola League.

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer
25 to 27 of his Tauros have gone unused. Ash has only used one of them on three separate occasions. Kingler has to be one of his weakest evolved Pokémon because he only used it once and that was really it.
Kingler was shown to be pretty powerful in all of the battles it got. They literally had to write him out of the Johto League with the Voltorb stuff so Squirtle could come back.

Only one of Ash's Pokemon to sweep a league by itself. Was Ash's strongest water Pokemon until Greninja too.

pickapika

Not really. The gap has arguably been much worse in the Kalos and Sinnoh Leagues.

The same could be said about the Kalos League and Sinnoh League as well.

Tobias was leagues ahead of all the other participants in the Sinnoh League. Then there's Ash and Paul also; who were arguably a tier above the rest of the competition based on Ash's performance against Tobias and Paul being the only other one who would've performed on the same level as Ash.

Similarly in the Kalos league; Alain has an Elite four-tier ace which was leagues ahead of the rest of the competition. Ash was the only one who had a Pokemon of somewhat comparable strength and maybe Sawyer falls a couple of tier below.

The only difference in the Alola League is that both the bottom/base tier was much lower. A regular trainer from the Sinnoh League/Kalos League would have destroyed James, Lillie, Mallow etc.
Similarly, even the High tier trainers in the Alola league; were much Inferior to high-tier trainers in the other leagues.

Guzma, Gladion, Kiawe were all much inferior to Ash.
Frankly, Kukui was the closest to a High tier League opponent in the Alola League.
Guzma is stated to have finished 2nd in multiple other leagues so I'm skeptical "the high tier trainers are much inferior to high tier trainers in other leagues" really holds up under scrutiny.

And by extension, if guzma is good enough to finish 2nd in the other leagues, then the likes of mallow/lana/gladion would also have to be pretty strong.

Whether they should be that strong is another matter, but guzma's backstory basically renders the idea of high alola trainers being "much weaker" than their counterparts from other leagues impossible.

There's also the matter of Ash being pushed in all of his fights. As Alola ash is obviously stronger than any prior version of ash, the idea that a bunch of trianers who scale below sinnoh ash would be able to crush people who are competing with alola ash is just silly.

Even Jessie has an ace who outright crushes 90% of sinnoh or kalos league pokemon

Last edited:

pickapika

Except it isn't? Mallow pushes lana to the brink who pushes guzma to the brink who pushes ash to the brink.

There's basically no "sweeps" or "one-sided battles". Maybe you could argue the average pre-knockout trainer is way weaker than your average knockout trainer, but realisticallly given how close all the fights are, the best and worst trianers you listed probably aren't even a "paul-barry" gap apart.

It probably shouldn't be like that, but based on what is established, all the notable trainers scale up with guzma and ash.

Even with someone like jessie, mimikyu is a legitimate powerhouse who probably crushes the vast majority of pokemon from previous leagues

DayQuil95

Except it isn't? Mallow pushes lana to the brink who pushes guzma to the brink who pushes ash to the brink.
I agree with most of what you said, but this particular part got me... Like, I'm sorry, but how exactly did Lana manage to push Guzma to the brink? All I recall from that battle was one of the biggest stomps in the anime where all Primarina could do was temporarily freeze Golisopod's legs after being mauled repeatedly by multiple brutal attacks, and even her Z-Move got sliced in half effortlessly.

pickapika

I agree with most of what you said, but this particular part got me... Like, I'm sorry, but how exactly did Lana manage to push Guzma to the brink? All I recall from that battle was one of the biggest stomps in the anime where all Primarina could do was temporarily freeze Golisopod's legs after being mauled repeatedly by multiple brutal attacks, and even her Z-Move got sliced in half effortlessly.
I misremembered the fight. Now that you mention all that, it was actually really one-sided. Given lana was the strongest of alola's second tier, godwins' original description was probably accurate(and makes a lot more sense narratively fwiw).

Kukui, Ash, Guzma, Gladion probably dominate other regions and have backstories/hype that fit that(kukui is undefeated in alola and guzma can't beat him, guzma goes arounf other regions finishing second over and over again, gladion is playing with psuedo legendaries as a child, and ash is ash)

Everyone else was a rookie or team rocket

The anamoly here is Jessie whose ace can arguably scale above any non-tobias pokemon from sinnoh(maybe even tobias mons if you're generous), but who was so incomptetent she got knocked off by james(not using her virtually unbeatable mon in the first place).

jessie is wierd because she's probably screwed in a 3 v 3 or a 6 v 6 against a number of trainers, but it's not hard to see someone like paul just getting brute forced by mimikyu in the 1 v 1 section they open the knockouts with

Last edited:

DayQuil95

I misremembered the fight. Now that you mention all that, it was actually really one-sided. Given lana was the strongest of alola's second tier, godwins' original description was probably accurate(and makes a lot more sense narratively fwiw).

Kukui, Ash, Guzma, Gladion probably dominate other regions and have backstories/hype that fit that(kukui is undefeated in alola and guzma can't beat him, guzma goes arounf other regions finishing second over and over again, gladion is playing with psuedo legendaries as a child, and ash is ash)

Everyone else was a rookie or team rocket

The anamoly here is Jessie whose ace can arguably scale above any non-tobias pokemon from sinnoh(maybe even tobias mons if you're generous), but who was so incomptetent she got knocked off by james(not using her virtually unbeatable mon in the first place).

jessie is wierd because she's probably screwed in a 3 v 3 or a 6 v 6 against a number of trainers, but it's not hard to see someone like paul just getting brute forced by mimikyu in the 1 v 1 section they open the knockouts with
Yeah Jessie's Mimikyu was comparable to Pikachu in power output, at least up until the league, where Pikachu eventually surpassed Mimikyu thanks to Jessie not training it continuously, or at all. But given how much of a monster that Mimikyu was, I could see it comfortably catching up to Pikachu with a legitimately skilled trainer, and, come to think of it, TR was quite busted in SM, having a legendary-level Bewear and a Mimikyu comparable to Pikachu.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
where did "Guzma finished second in other leagues" come from? I don't think that was ever said

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Yeah Jessie's Mimikyu was comparable to Pikachu in power output, at least up until the league, where Pikachu eventually surpassed Mimikyu thanks to Jessie not training it continuously, or at all. But given how much of a monster that Mimikyu was, I could see it comfortably catching up to Pikachu with a legitimately skilled trainer, and, come to think of it, TR was quite busted in SM, having a legendary-level Bewear and a Mimikyu comparable to Pikachu.
I would also add Kiawe and Ilima.

Kiawe put quite a good fight against Gladion and defeated his Lycanroc.

Ilimia was named a Prodigy and was mentioned to take part in Kalos league so he was strong enough to beat Kalos GLs.

What's interesting about Guzma is the fact he was beating Megas and Pokemon using Z-moves while not using a Gimmick at all.
Imagine if he Mega Evolved his Scizor or starter using Z-moves with Galispopod which had quite nice coverage.