• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is Ash's worst League lost?

Worst league lost

• Total voters

Navin

MALDREAD
FFS stop being factually wrong a million times.

Lmao, it's definitely "factually right" that Greninja lost all three times to Charizard. Has any of Ash's Pokemon ever failed to get revenge especially after having two more opportunities? Satopi is clearing messing with you, and you're getting too riled up.

XY Ash is only a Stu if you don’t think of him as a progression of OS - DP Ash; I do think of him as a progression of DP Ash, so he isn’t a Stu for me and anyone else who thinks similarly.

No progression condones being depicted depicted as a (near) Gary Stu, though this is a topic for another thread.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Lmao, it's definitely "factually right" that Greninja lost all three times to Charizard. Has any of Ash's Pokemon ever failed to get revenge especially after having two more opportunities? Satopi is clearing messing with you, and you're getting too riled up.
It was only KOed 2 of those times and I don’t recall either Ash or Alain acknowledging Ash (and only Ash) fainting as him forfeiting.

No progression condones being depicted depicted as a (near) Gary Stu.
He wasn’t. In the Opposite Opinions Thread where I argued for XY Ash being a progression from DP Ash; I’ve already shown why he isn’t a “Gary Stu” at least by the formal definition of that term anyways.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
No Greninja didn't lose all 3 times to Charizard. Anyway I find it redundant wasting my time arguing with someone who probably haven't even watched XY&Z23 and is being factually wrong millions of times.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Definitely Unova. Cameron should not have beaten Ash. The guy deliberately handicapped himself and put himself at a disadvantage.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Definitely Unova. Cameron should not have beaten Ash. The guy deliberately handicapped himself and put himself at a disadvantage.

I quite agree. I pretty much gave up on the anime after this episode. At least with the Sinnoh League, Ash losing to Tobias it was understandable how and why Ash lost. Tobias was using super strong Legendary and Mythical Pokémon and he clearly had the advantage. Pikachu was the only Pokémon Ash had on him at the time that had went up to Legendaries and beaten them barely but having to do it twice in a row would be difficult for any non Legendary. Cameron was a total noob idiot that just got lucky. He should never had won since he never took anything serious and didn’t even bother knowing the rules. Even in the OS when Ash was a complete moron he knew the League would only allow you to enter if you had 8 Badges.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
For the last time, a Mary Sue/Marty Stu is when the intentions of the author take precedence over the story proper, thus it gives the illusion of true perfection as true perfection is a state unable to be achieved.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
For the last time, a Mary Sue/Marty Stu is when the intentions of the author take precedence over the story proper, thus it gives the illusion of true perfection as true perfection is a state unable to be achieved.
I don't really use those words, along with the word filler. But it feels to me that people uses these words to express their displeasures about a character or an episode.

Genaller

Silver Soul
That’s not the definition that most would associate with the term but alright. Please elaborate on the bolded part. How are you able to differentiate the author intent from the “story proper”? The primary “illusion of true perfection” is Serena’s initial infatuation with Ash; however, this illusion of hers is broken as the series progresses and Serena comes to understand that Ash is flawed (in multiple aspects) like everyone else.

As a side note your last claim while not relevant to this particular topic is false. “True perfection” a.k.a omnipotence and omniscience can certainly be defining character traits of a fictional character (of course a story with a such character would be utterly boring).

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Not really. Because Charizard was the Pokemon Alain used pretty much in each and every battle. So his Charizard being a stu from the overpowerd/unbeatable aspect just equates to Alain being a stu from the overpower/unbeatable aspect.
Considering Alan used it all the time and each and every battle everyday then it's obvious it's going to be very strong. Like you just mentioned in your post below it, it has tanking feats and fought many strong Pokémon. I don't think it has an unbeatable/overpowered aspect of it because it showed how it developed to that level throughout its time. It defeating Ash Greninja was to be expected and it doesn't mean that it's a Gary Stu for doing so. Just like Iris isn't a Gary Stu for beating Ash. If you really thought Ash Greninja was going to beat Alan's Mega Charizard X when it just perfected it, you just got hit with a dose of reality.

No, but rather Charizard being a trash Pokemon at that time, who decides to disobey his trainer in such a crucial League battle, refusing to battle and deciding to take a nap in the middle of the battle.
So it's Charizard's fault for not obeying his immature trainer he had issues with? Talk about pushing all blame on Charizard when Ash wasn't trying to solve that problem. Was it Pikachu's fault for not obeying Ash which cost him his first catch? No, because Pikachu didn't like nor trust him. It took a while for both Pokémon to begin to obey Ash and talk it through but it took effort on both sides. Charizard had to go through humiliation too later on in the Charirific Valley and they both formed a strong bond. The only one to blame Charizard's disobedience is Ash. Pokémon aren't meant to have compete submission and obedience and ignoring their issues, expecting them to do as you say is abuse when you are the TRAINER, it's expected of you to train through the good and the bad times of a Pokémon, if you actually care about it.

And Charizard taking a nap seemed way worse to me than the Kalos League loss, it gets to my nerves till date. Ash loosing due to one of his disobedient Pokemon refusing to listen to him and taking a nap during a battle made it seem like Ash was a very bad trainer and gave a sense a humiliation, when it was never his fault in the first place. If a battle ends due to a Pokemon refusing to battle and taking a nap, then it pretty much defeats the purpose of a Pokemon battle.
That's because he had its issues with Ash. We've seen countless times of disobedience in Pokémon like Iris' Excadrill and Dragonite as well as Dawn's Piloswine, especially when it evolved. It's a trial that most Trainers go through and sure, they may not have been a bad Trainer in some ways but most of the time, when a Pokémon refuses to obey your commands, it has issues with you whether it's because it sees you as inferior, tests you to see if you'll stick to it, or past history. I'd rather see Charizard take a nap then lose since at least they can push through the issue later on than another loss feat. Ash knew Charizard wasn't going to listen to him but he chose him anyway so Ash was doomed to lose one way or another.

Navin

MALDREAD
Considering Alan used it all the time and each and every battle everyday then it's obvious it's going to be very strong. Like you just mentioned in your post below it, it has tanking feats and fought many strong Pokémon. I don't think it has an unbeatable/overpowered aspect of it because it showed how it developed to that level throughout its time. It defeating Ash Greninja was to be expected and it doesn't mean that it's a Gary Stu for doing so. Just like Iris isn't a Gary Stu for beating Ash. If you really thought Ash Greninja was going to beat Alan's Mega Charizard X when it just perfected it, you just got hit with a dose of reality.

So it's Charizard's fault for not obeying his immature trainer he had issues with? Talk about pushing all blame on Charizard when Ash wasn't trying to solve that problem. Was it Pikachu's fault for not obeying Ash which cost him his first catch? No, because Pikachu didn't like nor trust him. It took a while for both Pokémon to begin to obey Ash and talk it through but it took effort on both sides. Charizard had to go through humiliation too later on in the Charirific Valley and they both formed a strong bond. The only one to blame Charizard's disobedience is Ash. Pokémon aren't meant to have compete submission and obedience and ignoring their issues, expecting them to do as you say is abuse when you are the TRAINER, it's expected of you to train through the good and the bad times of a Pokémon, if you actually care about it.

That's because he had its issues with Ash. We've seen countless times of disobedience in Pokémon like Iris' Excadrill and Dragonite as well as Dawn's Piloswine, especially when it evolved. It's a trial that most Trainers go through and sure, they may not have been a bad Trainer in some ways but most of the time, when a Pokémon refuses to obey your commands, it has issues with you whether it's because it sees you as inferior, tests you to see if you'll stick to it, or past history. I'd rather see Charizard take a nap then lose since at least they can push through the issue later on than another loss feat. Ash knew Charizard wasn't going to listen to him but he chose him anyway so Ash was doomed to lose one way or another.

Honestly that's kind of true. I can see why through KL might be considered the worst loss that way. At this point I think I'd rather see Ash lose in some creative way, or of his doing, rather than straight-up losing to trainers he could easily beat if he just bothered calling up his A-team reserves. There's no reason why he should have lost to Alain.

No Greninja didn't lose all 3 times to Charizard.

Oh? Please do tell us of that time when Greninja beat Charizard.

Anyway I find it redundant wasting my time arguing with someone who probably haven't even watched XY&Z23 and is being factually wrong millions of times.

Lol...?

satopi

This is off topic but warning: I'm bringing up a big can of worms that everyone will hate me for mentioning it but...

Since 345ash-greninja and Genaller (no disrespect for both of you) are saying that Mega Charizard X didn't beat Greninja 3 times because in one of the previous battles, Greninja didn't faint (though Ash did which stopped the battle), so.....
....... Greninja didn't beat Diantha's Mega Gardevoir when she never faint but one of you are saying that he demolished her Gardevoir since she fell down and got back up off screen so can I say Alan's Charizard forced Greninja into Ash Greninja after sustaining damage and since Charizard did get pushed to the ground but didn't faint and got back up on screen BUT Greninja did lose its footing and was visibly tired after Ash fainted while in the next battle that Ash fainted in, Greninja kept its footing without looking tired so by that logic... Alan did beat Ash in one of the previous battles!! Even after devolving, ;006;Charizard never lost its footing and endured the damage.;006;

Just being factually correct ya know. ;)

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
Oh? Please do tell us of that time when Greninja beat Charizard.
False Dichotomy. Not loosing =\= winning. Greninja had “not lost” against Charizard in XYZ 23 hence he has only actually lost 2 times. Other Ash Pokémon who lost twice and never got a win; Turtwig against Gardenia’s Turtwig, Grotle against Paul’s Honchkrow and Gliscor against Air Master’s Siczor.

[Spoil] VA-G = Veil Ash-Greninja, MA-G = Mastered Ash-Greninja and MG = Mega Gardevoir.

The Main Argument

1. Prior to starting his battle with Diantha, Ash states “Greninja, in our last battle with Diantha, we got defeated even before Gardevoir mega evolved” while we see a clip of Gardevoir wrecking Pikachu after which he says “But we’ve gained a lot of experience since then”.

2. After Gardevoir dodges Greninja’s first attack, Clemont states “They really are amazing” and then Serena states “They can communicate via mere eye-contact!”. Gardevoir then dodges several more attacks after which Ash says “At this rate, this is going to end up like last time. Gardevoir is too fast; we can’t get a hold of it”. We then cut to a worried sweating Pikachu and then Serena says “I expected nothing less from Diantha” and Clemont says “Dealing damage to the Champion will not be that easy”. Ash also says “she predicts our every move” after Gardevoir dodges a flurry of Water Shuriken and then Greninja gets flung back hitting a tree from the mere shockwave of Moonbalst. Since they have seen Gardevoir perform before, the above statements wouldn’t be made if Gardevoir was severely suppressing her capabilities.

3. Due to (2.) Greninja being able to land a hit on Gardevoir is both an impressive feat on Ash’s part for coming up with using the steam from Water Shuriken as cover for a surprise Cut and on Greninja’s part for causing actual damage on Gardevoir indicated by her flinching and moaning. Furthermore (2.) provides support for all later mentioned A-G feats in this battle also being impressive.

4. After the initial Cut vs Shadow Ball clash between VA-G and Gardevoir, Gardevoir (via momentum) is pushed back while moaning after which Diantha states “Had that hit, we wouldn’t have stood a chance”. This indicates that VA-G was capable of dealing substantial damage on Gardevoir. Later on when VA-G goes in for a Cut Diantha for the first time visibly calls out “Dodge!” indicating a shift in how seriously she’s taking this battle. After VA-G is able to strike Gardevoir with Cut, Diantha visibly gasps in surprise and then Serena says “They caught up...” with Bonnie finishing “...to Gardevoir’s speed!”

5. Due to (4.) Diantha used ME because VA-G proved itself to be an opponent warranting its use and based on (1.) this narratively symbolizes Ash being good enough as a trainer for making a Champion resort to ME. Note that warranting ME needn’t mean that VA-G > Base Gardevoir, but it does mean that VA-G was sufficiently close to her in strength a.k.a there’s a cap on how much better than VA-G Base Gardevoir could have been. These conclusions are further enforced right after Gardevoir MEing by Ash saying “She finally mega evolved it!” and Serena stating “They’ve got Diantha and Gardevoir backed into a corner!”.

6. Mega Gardevoir is able to fully block VA-G’s Aerial Ace upon MEing, then MG again fully blocks another Aerial Ace with Reflect, but after Clemont says “I have never seen these waves before”, VA-G uses Cut (that may or may not have been augmented by Double Team) and the Reflect barrier collapses indicating that MG could not fully block this attack.

7. After achieving MA-G, it launches the Water Shuriken on its back and MG responds by launching an especially strong Shadow Ball which is depicted as the fusion of several smaller Shadow Balls (which indicates that the attack was far more dense in addition to having greater volume). It’s safe to say that this was significantly stronger than any regular Shadow Ball MG has used including those used both later and in XY 28 to send TRio blasting off and break through their barrier cage respectively. Despite this Water Shuriken outright overpowers this “multi-fused” Shadow Ball and strikes MG with her moaning both at the moment of contact and when the Water Shuriken explodes; the sheer force then flings MG back with her then falling on the ground, and we see visible bruises on her (while she’s in the air at least). Note that shortly after Gardevoir MEs, MG and VA-G have a Shadow Ball vs Water Shuriken clash and cancel each other out. While this doesn’t mean that they were equal, it does mean that 1 move could only be so much stronger than the other. Let’s call this “max ratio” X. If we consider VA-G’s Water Shuriken to be the stronger move in that clash, then we have Pow(VA-G WS)/Pow(MG regular SB) =< X and Pow(MA-G WS)/Pow(MG multi-fused SB) > X which implies Pow(MA-G WS)/Pow(MG multi-fused SB) > Pow(VA-G WS)/Pow(MG Regular SB) <=> Pow(MA-G WS)/Pow(VA-G WS) > Pow(MG multi-fused SB)/Pow(MG regular SB) where Pow() is the power function that takes a Pokémon’s damaging move as an input and returns a positive real number (a.k.a the power of the move) as an output. For the record, if we had instead assumed that MG’s regular Shadow Ball was the stronger move, then we would obtain an even greater disparity between VA-G and MA-G’s power (try working it out! :)). Based on this we can conclude that MA-G at the end of the battle was significantly stronger than what VA-G was right after Diantha MEed Gardevoir. The strength progression during the battle is supported by (6.).

8. After battling Ash-Greninja and sending TRio blasting off, Gardevoir falls to her knees panting in exhaustion with Diantha saying “That really was a bit too much, wasn’t it?” to her. This state was primarily caused by the Greninja/A-G battle with the evidence being the sheer amount of time spent battling A-G in addition to the number of moves used against it relative to TRio where only 2 moves were used and they were dispatched quickly. Also “full power” was MG emitting a full power blast of Psychic energy (a.k.a Psychic) to break her shackles rather than her merely “powering up” since in Pokemon (unlike say DBZ) destructive energy isn’t emitted by merely powering up unless you’re going from 1 state to another (e.g. Ash’s Infernape going from Base to Blaze). There have also been other instances where “full power” has been used after which the Pokémon has shown no signs of exhaustion whatsoever (e.g. Pikachu using full power on his Thunder when facing Juan in order to overpower the 5th Ice Ball). The interaction with TRio did push her over the edge in terms of stamina drain, but primary credit for her accumulated stamina drain unequivocally goes to (Ash-)Greninja.

9. Intuitive Conclusion: The boost from initial VA-G -> MA-G based on (7.) would more than compensate for the cap mentioned in (5.).

10. Therefore, Mastered Ash-Greninja >= Diantha’s Base Gardevoir as of XYZ 25

Supplementary Argument

11. In XYZ 38; right after the A-G transformation Alain states “Thank you, Ash. I’ve been waiting for you to show that full power of yours. Take me to even higher stages!” After a while of intense battling, Alain says “I’m having a lot of fun right now. I’m grateful to you for making me feel this way” and Alain again thanks Ash at the end of their battle. Finally Alain says “Through this battle, Ash and his Pokémon made us grow” when talking to his Charizard’s Poke Ball. Based on this Ash and A-G pushed Alain and MC-X the most since they went through their rigorous training between ME Acts 3 and 4. In addition this low key confirms that Ash-Greninja > Kalos League Pikachu since despite Pikachu’s performance, it is only Ash-Greninja whom Alain acknowledges as Ash’s full power.

12. We know that Alain and MC-X lost to Siebold in ME Act 1 and got owned by Primal Groudon in Act 3; however, believe it or not people don’t have scouters in Pokémon (unless you’re Clemont)! By this I mean Alain can’t go “Pokémon A was this much stronger than my MC-X and my MC-X’s strength has increased by so and so, therefore that Pokémon would now beat/loose to MC-X with X difficulty”. Alain needs to actually have a proper battle with a Pokémon to discern how well that Pokémon would fare against the now stronger MC-X and of all the opponents he’s faced, Ash-Greninja gave post ME Act 4 MC-X the best fight. This is further supported by MC-X stumbling against A-G and not against MDoom, and while Alain’s Zard was previously damaged by Pikachu in the KL finals, it had substantial stamina drain from facing 9 ME Pokémon and we also know it wasn’t at full health despite healing between some battles based on its visible bruise marks prior to facing MDoom in ME Act 4.

13. Based on (11.) and (12.) Ash-Greninja >= Malva’s Mega Houndoom as of XYZ 38

Additional Conclusion

14. Based on the progression of A-G’s max power WSs from vs Diantha to vs Sawyer KL semis to vs Alain KL finals, XYZ 38 A-G > XYZ 25 A-G.

Note: If anyone believes that Malva didn’t go all-out agaisnt Alain because when Mega Houndoom had MC-X on the ground Malva chose to tease/provoke Alain rather than continue attacking, then note that Alain was also not battling optimally since he had a major falling out with Marin which would unquestionably affect his mental state. Matter of fact MC-X performs noticeably better after Alain gives a speech about reaffirming his bond with Charizard which ties into Ash’s statement in XY 75 about the attitude of the trainer rubbing off on the Pokémon. When facing Malva, Alain’s mental state was initially still reeling from him yelling at Marin (a person important to him), but after finding his resolve to be the strongest with Charizard, he became fully focused on the battle (a.k.a Malva’s provocation ironically helped Alain battle optimally).[/Spoil]

So where in this do I say that “Greninja did beat Diantha’s Mega Gardevoir”?

Last edited:

satopi

I guess you could call both battles a draw since neither won nor lost even with the tiers you've provided. After all, Diantha was only testing Ash Greninja's power but I don't want this topic to turn back into another endless debate. I've said my peace.
So where in this do I say that “Greninja did beat Diantha’s Mega Gardevoir”?
I wasn't talking about you which is why I said one of you. In this case, I was talking about 345ash-greninja who has debated on this topic simply because Greninja knocked Gardevoir off it's footing before she got back up off screen.

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
I guess you could call both battles a draw since neither won nor lost even with the tiers you've provided. After all, Diantha was only testing Ash Greninja's power but I don't want this topic to turn back into another endless debate. I've said my peace.
Another strawman; I never once claim that Mega Gardevoir was battling optimally in my argument.

I wasn't talking about you which is why I said one of you. In this case, I was talking about 345ash-greninja who has debated on this topic simply because Greninja knocked Gardevoir off it's footing before she got back up off screen.
345a-g shares my views on the matter and doubt he ever explicitly said that Greninja beat/KOed Gardevoir.

satopi

Another strawman; I never once claim that Mega Gardevoir was battling optimally in my argument.

345a-g shares my views on the matter and doubt he ever explicitly said that Greninja beat/KOed Gardevoir.
Ok yes that's right that he didn't but that amount of debating over the same topic over and over again leads to nothing.

gentwoer

ALL OF THEM. At least Kanto can be excused because Ash was clearly way out of his league even being there and didn't earn half his badges. I just wish the writers let Ash lose because he clearly sucked and not because his Pikachu was "tuckered out" and Charizard wanted to snooze it out

SH65

Victory Over All!
ALL OF THEM. At least Kanto can be excused because Ash was clearly way out of his league even being there and didn't earn half his badges. I just wish the writers let Ash lose because he clearly sucked and not because his Pikachu was "tuckered out" and Charizard wanted to snooze it out

Ok... Why do all the other league suck for you?

Unova. It was the equivalent of England losing to Iceland at Euro 2016, here's why.
One side ia more experianced and generally has an overall bette team in better ranks and is also overrated.

And the team they lose to proced to go and get destroyed in the very next match (Iceland lost 5-2 to France) a(Cameron lost 6-3 to Virgil)

SinnohEevee

Unova League, no contest.
How Ash lost in Kanto was BS, but Cameron was worse. An experienced Trainer loses to a total idiot who doesn't know in which region will the Conference be held, can't tell the difference between a Pokédex and a remote control, thinks the 8th slot in the Badges case is for a "League Badge", thinks a Full Battle is a 5 on 5 because Riolu got a DEM evolution that allowed him to beat Snivy and Pikachu. That says lots about the quality of this show.

Navin

MALDREAD
Unova League, no contest.
How Ash lost in Kanto was BS, but Cameron was worse. An experienced Trainer loses to a total idiot who doesn't know in which region will the Conference be held, can't tell the difference between a Pokédex and a remote control, thinks the 8th slot in the Badges case is for a "League Badge", thinks a Full Battle is a 5 on 5 because Riolu got a DEM evolution that allowed him to beat Snivy and Pikachu. That says lots about the quality of this show.

Cameron could have been good if they depicted it as a clear upset, much like how Ash in his earlier regions defeated more experienced trainers. The Riolu evolution DEM could have more clearly been shown as drawing similarities to the number of other times Ash had to rely on evolution boost to bail him out of a match. They could have played up both points, and also make Ash learn that he shouldn't have been so cocky to assume that he'll always equal or improve his league placement.