• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is love?

Psychic

Really and truly
Baby don't hurt me

It's February, so let's talk about love! Love comes in many forms - of course there's the love you have for a romantic partner, but there's also familial love, the love you have for friends, and even love for your pets.

So how do you define love? What makes you feel loved? Who do you love? Feel free to talk about your relationships - your first crush, first romantic partner, first best friend, first pet, the sky's the limit!

~Psychic

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
First, are we talking about love towards another being, or just love in general.

I could love my job or love ice cream, but that isn't the same as personal love.

I think there is actually a vicarious love, like I could love, say, James Bond from the a eponymous films or other characters in other media.

But if we have to go with the purest idea of love, love would be based on a foundation of value that you would share with someone else. I could love a friend because I find him very valuable. If I married, I could love that person, and they would have value. Same thing with family. Value, in this context, would be like a date, it's not great if you are there yourself, but you wouldn't bring someone to a fancy restaurant without going there yourself. That's what I mean by a shared value.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I don't feel loved to be honest. I think it is an emotion that people exploited to hurt others. It makes people vulnerable and easy for people to take advantage of. Love is kind of over-hyped in my opinion.

Oxytocin and vasopressin.

This.

I do everything via detachment mostly. Not in an apathetic or nihilist sense. I do cherish, but I accept that in an instant anything/everything I love can be taken away.

Navin

MALDREAD
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometres away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope. Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, 'love' is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and strangely enough, not many meatbags would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose... against statistically long odds...

Bananarama

The light is coming
I think that different people can define "love" in several different ways. It is a really complex emotion, but to me, "love" is any form of positive feeling you can have towards anything.

Now I have "What Is Love" by Haddaway stuck iny head :/

fire fan 888

Besides from the cliche statements: "chemicals" and "deep affection" I think love is actually something complex.

I heard it said "love is not a feeling in your chest, it's bending down to wash someone's feet." I don't know who originally said that. But I like it. It's contradicting the idea that love is emotional and giving it an active quality, in the example of humble service. Because love is characterized by having butterflies or strong nostalgic feelings by western culture and I think that's such a fake and overstated lie. I can show you love without getting butterflies when I see you; I think it's a matter of compassion and charity. In that sense, I see it as a choice and an action. I love you or I do not love you. It's not "love for you has been formed by my chemicals and emotions." I don't have to like you to love you. I just need to choose to love you.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Besides from the cliche statements: "chemicals" and "deep affection" I think love is actually something complex.

I heard it said "love is not a feeling in your chest, it's bending down to wash someone's feet." I don't know who originally said that. But I like it. It's contradicting the idea that love is emotional and giving it an active quality, in the example of humble service. Because love is characterized by having butterflies or strong nostalgic feelings by western culture and I think that's such a fake and overstated lie. I can show you love without getting butterflies when I see you; I think it's a matter of compassion and charity. In that sense, I see it as a choice and an action. I love you or I do not love you. It's not "love for you has been formed by my chemicals and emotions." I don't have to like you to love you. I just need to choose to love you.

So true. I believe that the best kind of love is where you just appreciate the things around you and respect others. Taking the time to understand others' points of views is already loving them, even if you don't feel anything by doing it. Without realizing it, we're given love in many moments of our daily lives. The feeling of butterflies in stomach or whatnot, for the most part, comes and goes. You shouldn't rely on emotions to judge what you think you love, because that's just unreliable.

Overall, I think that the emotional kind of love, while not a bad thing by any means, is something inherently very simple-minded and results in unnecessary hardships because of it. If people want to have a serious relationship, at least establish some solid ground such as getting to know others and seeing how well you can get along with them. I guess deciding on what you love ultimately still comes mainly from personal bias, but it's important not to forget that other people are important in your life as well. Sometimes emotions can get in our way and we may not be able to control it in different situations. So in the end, I guess the main thing to take away from this is not to judge someone based on one or two things you like or dislike about them as the world is so complex and gray.

Br0k3n s0Ul

Br0k3n sOUl
My love is the kind of love that's so strong, it hurts. It makes me cry at night, when I read a book where love is too easy to find, and even when I watch a movie where true love conquers all. My love is never recognized, never returned, and never nourished. Either the girl I like breaks my heart or we're separated in one way or another. Believe it or not, this has been going on for ten years and my current crush is not likely to break the cycle.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
For love in its most basic form, I'd say "a strong affection towards another."

Pogeymans

I'm coming up on my third anniversary and I still love my girlfriend so much even though we live together and are basically in each other's company all the time. I also love my ferret and Pokemon. Love is weird and complicated but amazing.