1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What is Pokemon to you..?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by xXZ380 D43M0NXx, Oct 6, 2018.

1. xXZ380 D43M0NXx

xXZ380 D43M0NXx Pokemon Champion

Alright... I've been thinking a lot lately. Pokemon has always held such a special place in my heart for... well as long as I can remember. I find myself looking around the community today... and I can't help but to feel proud of what I see. So, I'd like to ask you guys an important question: What is Pokemon to you? How special is it, and how close to you guys hold it to your heart? If you guys are anything like me, I treat my own team as though they were real. Yes, this means I talk to them, heheh... So it may just seem like I'm being a total overboard fanboy. But still, these games, the franchise as a whole is just so... amazing and nostalgic to me. I'd really like to know if anyone else feels the same as I do, and I'd love to hear your stories. Thank you much in advance for those who choose to share.

Train On.

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  2. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

It's not just a game. It's a lifestyle. It's childhood memories.

xXZ380 D43M0NXx likes this.
  3. Drake Pokétrainer

Drake Pokétrainer Blood of Insanity

Pokémon has been a part of my life for almost my entire life. I was 7 when the pokémon craze hit the west and ever since then I've always loved the games. Never did my interest in them wane. Of course there are periods where I don't play pokémon that much, which has lessened since I started actively shiny hunting since gen 6.

I don't talk to my team or anything, I'm fully aware they're just pixels and data, however some of them are pixels I absolutely love. For an instance, my Armaldo from Sapphire and Feraligatr from Colosseum are still a part of my team and despite me getting a shiny Armaldo in the meantime, I don't want to replace it.

But yeah, pokémon is still my favorite game series, even after all these years. I'm mainly only interested in the games anymore though. I still like the TCG but seek out older cards instead of buying new ones. My interest in the anime went down after the gen 2 anime ended, but I did love Pokemon the Origin and Pokemon Generations. I wish there was an actual pokemon anime more targeted to an older audience than the current one (it wouldn't have to replace the current one, just a 2nd series), maybe based on the adventures manga or à la Pokemon the Origin but more fleshed out (and per region).

4. xXZ380 D43M0NXx

Absolutely...

5. xXZ380 D43M0NXx

I totally agree with you about the anime. If it followed the games, it'd be so much better. If it followed Adventures, it'd totally be mrow watchable as well.

6. zJhonnyHT

zJhonnyHT Johto lover!

i don't have words to describe what pokemon is for me, but it saved me in many moments that i thought "game over". it have a especial part in my heart and hardly it'll be forgot by me. i love this game since i'm 8 and currently i'm 14, so i really love this game.
    This game helped me in many hard moments. <3
    (sorry for anymistakes, i'm not fluent in english yet)

7. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

Pokemon has been apart of my life since the very beginning. Growing up I was invested in the games, anime, toys, and TCG. But now that I'm an adult I just enjoy playing the games.

To me the main Pokemon series is about going on a grand adventure through a new region with amazing creatures I call my friends.

8. shoz999

shoz999 Name's Looker, Detective Looker.

Pokemon has been a huge part of my childhood, my brothers, my friends and many of my classmates during elementary. I liked Pokemon so much to the point that I invested time in the games, spinoffs, manga, TCG and a few toys. I remember at the end of 5th grade my friends brought their copy of Diamond Pearl to do multiplayer. We all had Empoleon and Giratina lol.

For me Pokemon is easily the most well-construct, most relatable and magical fictional world that easily surpasses the likes of the Harry Potter and Star Wars, from the Hogwarts school to the massive galaxy. Normally people say peace is kind of boring but Pokemon shows that a peaceful world can lead to all kinds of opportunity. If you think about it, the reason why it's so magical and relatable is because it's really just our world but A) more advancements in technology and science and B) centered around magical creatures that have a lot in common with animals. A science fantasy that mirrors our world if you think about it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  9. Pokemon has been a bigger part of my life than any franchise. The concept and execution are amazing, there's always so much to talk about to other fans such as likes/dislikes, favorite games, favorite Pokemon, what they want in future games. and there's always ways to expand the universe. They some of the most replayable games ever, I'm still happy to play them even 20 years after their release. I love it when my favourite Pokemon are brought to life in the anime.

10. buskalilly

buskalilly Well-Known Member

I love threads like this. It's been really heartwarming reading other people's entries.

For myself, the short answer is that Pokemon is the world I wish I lived in instead of this one.

Pokemon's characters, universe, games and overall franchise has been a huge part of my life since it arrived in the UK around my 10th birthday. There were other things I'd been really into; Star Trek and Marvel comics, courtesy of my family, and I'd watched Power Rangers religiously. When Pokemon arrived, though, I was obsessed. Pokemon Blue was the first videogame I completed properly, and that was there my love of Nintendo started.

Through Nintendo fandom I met a lot of my best friends, be that online or in the real world. People who share my love of Nintendo in general, or Pokemon in particular, have always been the people I end up having the closest friendships with, up to and including my girlfriend. Maybe that's just because we have a common interest, maybe its because people who love Pokemon and Nintendo have a positive, fun-loving worldview that I can connect with.

Beyond that, my love of Pokemon (and Nintendo, and Godzilla) lead to a fascination with Japan, which lead to me reading about the culture and the history and eventually lead to me moving and living here.

Pokemon has hugely influenced who I am as a person - for the better, I would say.

11. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I watch the anime, read the manga, and purchase merchandise, but I'm mainly a fan because the games are entertaining to me even though Gen VI made me cynical about the franchise's future.

12. Deadeye

Deadeye H(a)unting...

Exactly.

Although my interest in Pokemon has faded since Kalos (and perhaps even Unova but back then I had people to hype about Pokemon with) I'll probably never completely abandon my interest in it. When I was a kid, Pokemon offered me so much inspiration and escape from the dull real world, even some new understanding beyond my culture, I'm just grateful it exists. I was also bullied a lot at school for liking Pokemon, but heck, even while that massive social rejection hurt, who wants to surround themselves with people who don't appreciate what you like? I never shamed it nor started hiding it. It was just wonderful to see these creatures which slightly resembled animals but actually weren't and they had superpowers, and Pokemon brought up many important themes which symbolically could be relative to our real world issues, are these creatures tools to be used or friends to be loved? Do they have right for their freedom or should they follow their trainer once captured? How much would humans be allowed to disturb natural order of things for their selfish quest for power before they are put back into their places? Those things made even the movies great too, although I don't like the mass produced plots any more than mass produced legendaries... nor seeing Ash being the protagonist so repetitively. It was great to live those plots through in games however, not everyone can be a world-saving-hero (nor a world-conquering villain) in real life, but anyone can be that in their subjective realm of games. :)
    Also, Pokemon is one example of how a simple idea can grow into something large and well-known over time. It's encouraging.

13. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

Pokemon has been one the most consistent things in my life. It's a series I think about on a daily basis and would consider it a lifestyle.

14. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

It's alternative biology. And as a biologist, I have a keen interest in studying them.

15. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris Hee hee...

The popular Digimon.