• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is the greatest battle we've seen in the anime so far?

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
So what is the greatest battle we have seen so far in your opinion and why?

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
So what is the greatest battle we have seen so far in your opinion and why?

This isn’t the greatest to me personally but definitely a favorite and that’s Dawn vs Zoey. It really represented how much Dawn grew as a trainer and a person. The visuals were great and I enjoyed the combination moves a lot. However the highlight of the battle was when Zoey won and Dawn accepted it right away. It showed she no longer got upset when losing and instead of brooding...she could find new ways to improve herself and complete her dream.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
A tie between Metapod vs Metapod and Lillie (with Pikachu) vs Hobbs (with Oricorio). Both were enjoyable for reasons other than the action imo (especially the former) lol.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
In my book, it's easily Ash vs. Tobias, and no, I'm not joking. Tobias was an unbeatable force of nature, and Ash had to find some way to deal with that. Tobias may have destroyed Ash's team, and Ash may have lost another league, but that's thing, being able to defeat Tobias' unbeatable Darkrai, which no one else could even come close to doing, and tie with his Latios was a way to show truly how powerful Ash is without actually having to make him win. It was ingenious writing. Beating that Darkrai was Ash's true victory, and, quite honestly, it was his peak in the entire anime so far.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Most people is just going to say Ash vs Paul at the league, so I'll just say Ash vs Paul at the lake. You can't go wrong with Ash getting creamed by a well-built team and strategy. It was the only time in the anime where it actually felt like conditioning and counterplay mattered.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Ash vs Paul (Lake Acuity)

Ash vs Paul (Sinnoh League)

So much strategy from both trainers,it wasn't one sided,Paul's Drapion using status move Toxic Spikes to poison Ash's pokemon,Ash's Staraptor using Close Combat on the ground to avoid getting hit by Gastrodon's Water Pulse.

Paul using Gastrodon's Muddy Water/Electivire's Thunder as counter shields,Infernape using Flare Blitz from underground to eliminate the Toxic Spikes effect,Electivire hitting both of its tails into the ground and using Thunder,sending large pieces of rock flying at Gliscor/Pikachu.The final showdown between Electivire/Infernape at the end.

Most people is just going to say Ash vs Paul at the league, so I'll just say Ash vs Paul at the lake. You can't go wrong with Ash getting creamed by a well-built team and strategy. It was the only time in the anime where it actually felt like conditioning and counterplay mattered.

Good pick,this was when Paul showed his true cards as a battler,reminiscent to how competitive players battle in the games.

• Switching
  • Using status moves
  • Taking advantage of a pokemon's ability
  • EV Training

Last edited:

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
Lucario VS Blaziken (The Cave Of Trials)

or

Mega Lucario VS Pikachu (Showdown At Shalour Gym!)

Both these battles i like them a lot and work well with my love for korrina :)

I guess i'll also get deeper why i like them outside that too.

Blaziken VS Lucario, that battle showed just how strong and brave Korrina is. And is just dreamy for me to watch. Aha.....it's hard NOT to fangirl over this. I know. I gotta calm down. Haha. She's so confident and determined!!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG....

Mega Lucario VS Pikachu, I sort of feel sad Lucario lost, but seeing my new crush showdown with one of my first crushes ever is awesome. And seeing the true rivalry between Pikachu and Lucario too. A must see.

...That said, i'm fangirling inside right now over both these, and it's hard to really post clearly as i do xD;

Last edited:

SinnohEevee

Ash's best feats were against Tobias, even though the Battle trolled us.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
For me its Ash vs Sawyer at the league it was a battle between a teacher and the student all leading up to a great end that was way better then the Ash vs Alain battle.

Yeah, I really like the battle choreography between Ash and Sawyer along with their chemistries and histories. Alain was written in a way that he was too strong and that few opponents could defeat him, and of course the damn status quo that brings salt to most Ash fans.

oshawott7

cat burgler
My favorite is and always will be May vs Drew at the Kanto Grande Festival. There's just so many emotions during that battle and it was soooo important for both of their developments. I feel like they did such a good job showing how far these two have come since they first met and how much they respect each other and how determined they are. I love Drew's nod after he was beat to show how proud he was of her, and only then did May celebrate her victory. It was all done perfectly and it's the reason these two will always be the best rivals in the entire show imo.

Honorable Mentions: Charizard vs Magmar, Charizard vs Articuno, Blaziken vs Sceptile, Ash vs Sawyer, Ash vs Paul SL, Pikachu vs Raichu OS.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Ash Greninja vs Mega Charizard X for showing off my man's power! I really liked Ash vs Paul at Lake Acuity & Sinnoh League for obvious reasons. But I also want to say Alan vs Seibold. Blastoise was finally used in a competent, flattering way where Charizard was no match to the beast! Gary's Blastoise at the League wasn't very appealing and didn't show much of a fight. I also like how tough the Elite Four were portrayed in the special.

Charizard vs Charla(or was it the other Charizard?) just for the sake of seeing Charizard get his ego stomped. It showed that even though Charizard himself is tough as nails, he felt like he was the sh*t and was put in his place, realizing that there will always be someone bigger and stronger than him. And he had a lot to learn at that point which in return, strengthened his bond with Ash. It also solidified his decision to stay at the Charicific Valley.

I would say kid Iris vs Drayden because of the after effects that strained her relationship with Excadrill but I know it wasn't much of a match. ^^

Can I say Muk vs Bellsprout? :D

Last edited:

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
If we are talking battles:
My personal favorite is always going to be Ash v. Tobias mainly because it showed that despite coming so far Ash still has a lot of room before he's at that truly elite level but also because despite overwhelming odds in his favor we got to see the full showcase of Ash's never say die spirit which was perfectly exemplified with him shaking off his doubts when Latios bodies Swellow, flipped his hat backwards (for the first time in DP) then with full confidence sent Pikachu out to do an impossible task (and while Pikachu and Ash could not overcome a 5-1 deficit Ash will be remembered as not only the first trainer in the Sinnoh League to beat Tobias's Darkrai but also managed to tie against Latios too).
However if we are talking greatest battle period, I'd have to go with Ash v. Paul Lake Acuity or Ash v. Paul Sinnoh League. Ash v. Alain is a distant third.
If we are talking individual matchups:
Pikachu v. Latios for me. It showed off not only Pikachu's raw power but also Ash's resourcefulness as while Pikachu could not match that beast of a Latios head on, Ash managed to use its agility and small stature to his advantage by royally abusing Latios's blind spot. Then of course it ended with the epic Volt Tail and Luster Purge clash. Disappointing that Ash lost but the perfect way to end the battle IMO. Special mentions to Infernape v. Electivire, AGreninja v. M-Sceptile, AGreninja v. M-Charizard X, Charizard v. Articuno, Sceptile v. Darkrai, etc...

Last edited:

AssualtVestPyukumuku

In terms of importance: Ash vs Paul. Never has a battle in the anime been or, imo, ever will have a greater build up than Ash vs Paul at the League.

Terms of anything else (such clear criteria lol): Ash vs Volkner or Lenora are contenders imo

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Everyone knows the greatest battle is Ash vs Cameron.

Well like most others, I'd say Ash vs Paul at the league, because of the build up of their rivalry, and how much it meant to the both of them. The fight was tense, and was full of strategies, with Infernape vs Electivire a perfect conclusion to the best rivalry ever seen in the anime. However, it definitely had its issues, given that Infernape swept half his team, Pikachu got two, and Gliscor one, while the others jobbed (looking at you Torterra).

However, purely from animation, art style and overall production value, the best battle goes to Ash vs Alain in the league. The battles were great, and the highlights include Talonflame vs Unfezzant, Pikachu vs Metagross, and of course, Ash Greninja vs Mega Charizard X. Seeing two monsters duking it out was awesome, and I still maintain that barring the unfortunate false hype generated, this loss was Ash's "best" loss in a league, since he finally reached a final, and also he went down to someone who was just better than him. Ash himself fought the hardest he could, and was not made to look embarrassed.

Honorable mentions go to:
1) Ash vs Gary: The OG rivalry, and a great conclusion that showed that Ash had finally reached far enough to beat his long time rival who was always one step ahead.

2) Ash vs Sawyer: Student vs Mentor, and an important battle for Ash as he proved he was back, after the struggles previously, and that loss to Sawyer.

3) Ash vs Wulfric rematch: The Ash Greninja vs Mega Abomasnow battle was very good. It was the first battle Greninja had after mastering its form, and Wulfric acknowledged by going all out with Mega Abomasnow.

4) Dawn vs Zoey: The only contest battle, but boy was it gripping and intense. It was disappointing to see Dawn lose in the final, but Zoey showed her experience

Individual battle acknowledgments go to: Pikachu vs Latios, Sceptile vs Darkrai, Charizard vs Articuno, Pikachu vs Regice and Pikachu vs Mega Lucario.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Non-GYM Ash Battles:

1. Ash vs Paul Sinnoh League 11/10
2. Ash vs Alain Kalos League 10/10
3. Ash vs Gary Johto League 10/10
4. Ash vs Brandon 3rd Battle 10/10
5. Ash vs Sawyer Kalos League 9.5/10
6. Ash vs Tobias 9.25/10
7. Ash vs Noland 9.25/10
8. Ash vs Paul Lake Acuity 9/10
9. Ash vs Tyson 9/10
10. Ash vs Drake 9/10
11. Ash vs Katie 8.75/10
12. Ash vs Conway 8.5/10
13. Ash vs Diantha II 8.5/10
14. Ash vs Paul (Turtwig vs Chimchar) 8.5/10
15. Ash vs Alain XYZ 23 both battles 8.25/10

Ash GYM Battles:

1. Ash vs Olympia 9.5/10
2. Ash vs Fantina 9.25/10
3. Ash vs Clemont 9/10
4. Ash vs Ramos 9/10
5. Ash vs Candice 8.75/10
6. Ash vs Korrina 8.75/10
7. Ash vs Volkner 8.5/10
8. Ash vs Wulfric II 8.5/10
9. Ash vs Clair II 8.5/10
10. Ash vs Valerie 8.25/10
11. Ash vs Juan 8.25/10
12. Ash vs Viola II 8.25/10
13. Ash vs Maylene 8.25/10
14. Ash vs Roark II 8/10
15. Ash vs Grant 8/10

Other Battles:

1. Final Battle For Kalos
2. Mega Evolution Act III Legend Battle
3. Paul vs Cynthia
4. Sawyer vs Tierno
5. Paul vs Brandon
6. Alain vs Malva
7. Alain vs Siebold
8. Paul vs Roark
9. Paul vs Barry
10. Flint vs Cynthia (that short clip was pretty epic)

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Non-GYM Ash Battles:

1. Ash vs Paul Sinnoh League 11/10
2. Ash vs Alain Kalos League 10/10
3. Ash vs Gary Johto League 10/10
4. Ash vs Brandon 3rd Battle 10/10
5. Ash vs Sawyer Kalos League 9.5/10
6. Ash vs Tobias 9.25/10
7. Ash vs Noland 9.25/10
8. Ash vs Paul Lake Acuity 9/10
9. Ash vs Tyson 9/10
10. Ash vs Drake 9/10
11. Ash vs Katie 8.75/10
12. Ash vs Conway 8.5/10
13. Ash vs Diantha II 8.5/10
14. Ash vs Paul (Turtwig vs Chimchar) 8.5/10
15. Ash vs Alain XYZ 23 both battles 8.25/10

Ash GYM Battles:

1. Ash vs Olympia 9.5/10
2. Ash vs Fantina 9.25/10
3. Ash vs Clemont 9/10
4. Ash vs Ramos 9/10
5. Ash vs Candice 8.75/10
6. Ash vs Korrina 8.75/10
7. Ash vs Volkner 8.5/10
8. Ash vs Wulfric II 8.5/10
9. Ash vs Clair II 8.5/10
10. Ash vs Valerie 8.25/10
11. Ash vs Juan 8.25/10
12. Ash vs Viola II 8.25/10
13. Ash vs Maylene 8.25/10
14. Ash vs Roark II 8/10
15. Ash vs Grant 8/10

Other Battles:

1. Final Battle For Kalos
2. Mega Evolution Act III Legend Battle
3. Paul vs Cynthia
4. Sawyer vs Tierno
5. Paul vs Brandon
6. Alain vs Malva
7. Alain vs Siebold
8. Paul vs Roark
9. Paul vs Barry
10. Flint vs Cynthia (that short clip was pretty epic)
I fail to see how Ash vs Gary @ Johto League is 10/10 worthy over the likes of Ash v Katie/Paul v Ash Lake Acuity but whatever floats your boat.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I fail to see how Ash vs Gary @ Johto League is 10/10 worthy over the likes of Ash v Katie/Paul v Ash Lake Acuity but whatever floats your boat.

Well I can't speak for Genaller, but I personally agree with that rating. Sure Ash vs Paul at Lake Acuity might have been a better battle, but Ash vs Gary has way more significance. First, it was the conclusion to the OG rivalry, and seeing Ash finally beat Gary was a monumental moment in those days, since Gary was always one step ahead. Not to mention this battle sent Gary into retirement as a trainer.

As for Ash vs Katie, I personally don't see why it's rated highly. I find it an above average battle at best. All the switching doesn't make it a great battle.