• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Is the hardest trainer battle in pokemon SM/USUM?

For me it was kukui's champion battle. I genuinely had to battle him 3 times before I beat him, mostly because I forgot to buy any full restores and I only had 1 revive. I haven't finished Ultra Moon yet, so I don't know if any trainers in the rainbow rocked arc are harder, but since they're in the post game they most likely are. Anyways, what was the hardest battle in these games for you?

PS: These are trainer battles so ultra necrozma or any wild pokemon battles don't count.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
The hardest for me was the Lusamine battle (the first battle was a nightmare with that stupid Clefable) the next was Moon Guzma. That Masquerain completely demolished my team which was weak to flying types. I also struggled with a trainer that had a Garbardor in Pony Island. That was fun with the whole stockpile thing.

The WORST had to be that totem Araquanid and rhibombee. Totem Togedemaru was annoying but beatable but HOLY COW I despise the fact that the game tricked me. Wishiwashi? Nope. Get an Araquanid that has AURORA BEAM. Rhibombee stacked quiver dance because I was too stupid to take it out and not the pokemon it summoned. If it wasn't for using a Z-move I would've blacked out legitimately for the first time in years.

Man USUM may be debatable but the difficultly will screw you over if you aren't prepared.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I think Elite Four Molayne. He almost wiped me. Granted, my team was quite steel-weak, I had Alolan Marowak, Oricorio (Baile style for this battle), Lycanroc (dusk), Mimikyu, Glaceon, and Froslass in my team, so four out of six were steel-weak and the other two were rock-weak. My entire team was about level 50 I think, while Molayne's pokémon were quite a bit higher level.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Dexio in the postgame in Moon. He just appeared out of nowhere and threw an EV trained Mega Alakazam in my face which wiped out my entire team on its own multiple times. I ended up resetting more times than I can count waiting for it to miss a Focus Blast. To say I was infuriated is an understatement.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Dexio in the postgame in Moon. He just appeared out of nowhere and threw an EV trained Mega Alakazam in my face which wiped out my entire team on its own multiple times. I ended up resetting more times than I can count waiting for it to miss a Focus Blast. To say I was infuriated is an understatement.
Don't you hate it when moves with 70%/85% accuracy seem to drop to 10% when you use them, but when the AI does, they turn into 200% Critical Hits?

"Haha, I have lowered your accuracy and boosted my evasion!"
Multiple hits in a row

Same goes for Contact-based abilities

"You fool! Using Double-Slap on my Pokémon with Static will spell your doom!"
Hits five times, two crits, and doesn't get Paralyzed

It's a wonderful feeling

Leonhart

Imagineer
For me, fighting Lusamine was hard which is sad since I knew what to expect in advance, and yet I didn't have the sense to prepare for that skirmish. So I'm to blame.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
If I recall the battles all I've had in SM/USUM the most troublesome ones are:
  1. Ultra Recon Squad in Seaward Cave - Battling Furfrou was frustrating because it knows Headbutt, Growl, Baby-Doll
  2. Eyes, Sand Attack, and its ability being Fur Coat. So damage dealt by physical attacks are halvedwhich makes it resilient. Then its attacks severely lower your attack stats, lower accuracy, and have a chance of flinching. It was tough because all these factors made it tedious to complete.
  3. Lusamine in Ultra Space - As others have said this is a tough one. You really need a good strategy to defeat her.
  4. Trainer in Konikoni City - Yes he only has a Clampearl but that thing was tough because I didn't have any type advantages to beat it.

Last edited:

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Kukui is a problem if you're playing without exp. share. He doesn't have as many common weaknesses as Lance or Diantha. Plus the guy ran some actual competitive moves, a bulky sweeper with tailwind and a fast stealth rocks right off the bat. When I first played Sun played it blind I had to rely a lot on Solgaleo. And his Snorlax got some KOs.

I had a ton of trouble last time I played when I first took on Olivia in a nuzlocke too. But by then I had caught almost entirely flying types as well as litten. I had absolutely no rock resistance at all and had to sack something to gain HP back.

The hardest for me was the Lusamine battle (the first battle was a nightmare with that stupid Clefable)
Lusamine's clefable was a nightmare, mostly because I didn't know if it would be magic guard or unaware. I risked a nasty plot with my Salazzle and it nearly OHKOd it with psychic.

JohnLynch

Necrosma was a beast and put up a genuine challenge. Same with Giovanni's Mewtwo X. Everything else was a cake walk.

Leonhart

Imagineer
JohnLynch said:
Necrosma was a beast and put up a genuine challenge. Same with Giovanni's Mewtwo X. Everything else was a cake walk.

I didn't struggle much with his Mewtwo since I used my own Mewtwo's Shadow Ball to score a one-kit KO, but I did find the other villainous team leaders' Legendary Pokemon challenging.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
SM Anabel actually beat me, the main game never managed that feat. Although Kukui's vanilla SM fight is definitely an interesting match. You can tell Gamefreak listen to all the complaints about Diantha and fixed their s***.

In USM nobody really sticks out, maybe one of the latter fights with Guzma?

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Maybe Sina in Heahea. Her team was difficult because I didn’t have anyone strong against Ice-types at the time.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Red at the Battle Tree was pretty tough to beat. My Pokémon were only several levels higher than his and it took quite a while for me to beat him so that I could get into the Battle Tree.

Nyter

Island Challenger
I actually found Totem Mimikyu to be tough in Sun. All of its stats were raised due to the aura. I could only hit it once with each of my Pokemon (one nulled due to disguise). It always 2HKO my Pokemon and it moved first.

The other battles seemed okay to me but thats because I like to grind 10 levels ahead of the AI.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
I actually found Totem Mimikyu to be tough in Sun. All of its stats were raised due to the aura. I could only hit it once with each of my Pokemon (one nulled due to disguise). It always 2HKO my Pokemon and it moved first.

The other battles seemed okay to me but thats because I like to grind 10 levels ahead of the AI.

Totem Mimikyu one-shoted the Pokemon I needed to the most to defeat it. Many people forgot about the fact it has disguise so they used the z-move on it (which is funny to watch). If you don't come prepared it will destroy you.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
A lot of the totem battles can be difficult if you're not prepared. But the easiest battle I've ever had is when I had Vikavolt use Guillotine on Totem Lurantis. The fact it actually hit on the first turn made me laugh.

Nyter

Island Challenger
A lot of the totem battles can be difficult if you're not prepared. But the easiest battle I've ever had is when I had Vikavolt use Guillotine on Totem Lurantis. The fact it actually hit on the first turn made me laugh.
Totem Lurantis was easy for me too. I took that thing down before it could even call an Ally Pokemon. The best part of that trial was the mashing of the ingredients.