• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is the main goal of Pokemon?

rocko

hihowru
Used to be to catch 'em all. Now its to ev train and kick poke' butt

Whatever you want it to be.

Seriously, the whole point of having so many options is so that you can do whatever you want, pretty much.

Some people want to be a good contest-masters (though not many, due to lack of contest-wifi), some want to be a competetive battling master, others want to catch 'em all, others just want a black trainer card. Whatever you want is your main goal.

Cutty

Forever now
Basically the main goal is to raise your starter to the strongest level + beat all the trainers and legendaries.

*hugs overheat*

I miss the young man.

Captain Noob

Feelin' Sleepy
Ah, I remember the days when it was "Gotta Catch 'em All!" and everyone would freak over...well, catching 'em all! You'd get to about 60 and think..."wait, is this even possible??" and tiny 7 year-old minds would give up. Actually, I think Nintendo sorta did too 'cause the slogan has been dropped. Most likely because the "original goal" is now too far to reach, what with 493 Pokés to get (although that didn't stop me making Diamond my first fully-dexed game). I think most people just got more pleasure out of reaching the Hall of Fame and beating the game using really obscure methods along with getting at least one Pokémon to level 100. Nowadays the focus just seems to be on battling to the E4 again rather than catching everything, but DPPt has got people catching, trading, breeding, battling, cloning, chaining, depositing (Ranch), dressing, leveling and hatching 'em all. I think the "main goal" has been diluted to the point of non existance, quite frankly. So, um...

Pokémon! "Gotta catch, trade, breed, battle, clone, chain, deposit, dress, level and hatch 'em all!" doesn't have that same ring to it, right? o_0

To actually "Catch em all".
Personally, I don't bother with that. My goal is just to train my Pokemon and compeitve battle with them.

Catching them all takes alot of patience and time :/

Jirachi_Star

Fiddlesticks!
There are many things and ways to do. Beat the game, pokedex, etc. But I perfer battling,hatching eggs, and shiny hunting.

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
Most important goal: have fun.
Seriously though, I think it used to be to beat the E4 and catch Mewtwo, but now It's hard to tell with all this wierd stuff they've added.

invisible-chan

ポッキ の かみ
The object of the game itself, like most games, is to beat it. Whether you want to be the best Coordinator, Trainer, or collector is up to you. I suppose catching them all is more like one of those, aiming for 100% things that are optional. You pretty much make up your own reason for continuing.

pokemonmaster3.0

Stop laughing...
Depends what you want to do. have the best possible lv. 100 team, complete the National Pokedex including all different formes, Or catch all pokemon+formes and bring them all to 100 with perfect stat values and attacks (last one-jk).

Killer_Squirtle

Follow my lead!
there's a few. Obviously, getting all badges, defeating the Elite 4 and becoming champ. THen there's collecting all the legendaries you can get your hands on. Then there's completing the pokedex, that's not so easy. Then there's contest ribbons. Then there's beating the battle frontier. THEN there's getting an awesome lv 100 team and ruling the wifi battles. Annnnd that's about all that I can think of right now.

burninator59

I always just try to raise my main team to as high levels as possible. And defeat every single trainer in the region. But lately, I've actually tried to catch as many Pokemon as possible.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Did you not notice the slogan for about upteenth-years?

"Gotta Catch them All! POKEMON!!"

To catch them all.

dawsoc

Yes, I'm still alive
just for something fun and to entertain us,to catch and be the best

Journeyman

…… …… …… ▼
To live out the fantasies of being 10 years old and roaming the vast country-side unsupervised. And to make friends with wild, mythical animals that could potentialy kill you.

Last edited:

Nny

Yeah, about that...
To catch em' all is the way they tricked little kids into buying Nintendo's products. The goal of pokemon is simply becoming the strongest pokemon trainer.