• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is the main part of pokemon?

what is the main point of pokemon?

• having an adventure

Votes: 27 93.1%
  • completing the pokedex

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
what do you think the main part of pokemon is?
is it:
having an adventure
completing the pokedex

i always had the impresion that it was completing the pokedex. (after all, pokemons, catchphrase used to be GOTTA CATCH THEM ALL)

@randomspot
(i know what you're going to say, but i just want to see if anyone else thought this too or if im just brain dead)

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
It's to battle your way to the top of something.

Did you somehow miss that half of the game, or nearly all of the relevant multiplayer modes?

Arlo

...and so on...
I've never considered catching them all to be the point of the game - it's just a sort of side goal to strive for if you want. The point, IMO, is simply to make my way through the pokemon world - to catch, use, train and evolve pokemon to help out through the sort of dual quest of working up through the trainer ranks and eventually challenging and defeating the E4 and the Champion, and stopping whatever nefarious plan is being attempted by whatever organization pops its sinister head up. Catching lots of pokemon helps on that, since it gives me the chance to try lots of things out and see what's good at what and to hopefully work out an especially good team and set of strategies for accomplishing those twin goals, but that's about it.

That said though, the habitat list in BW2 has led me to be a lot more conscious of the possibility of catching them all. It's still not "all" in the dex sense, since it's only the ones that can be caught in the wild, but just the fact that everything that can be caught in the wild is listed in convenient subgroups by route and such, with easy-to-recognize markers for keeping track of what I've already seen or caught and of which routes I've completed and which ones I still need things from, has led me to go out of my way to make sure that I complete each of those lists. I guess that's a form of catching them all, though not the extreme (and at this point pretty much impossible anyway) version that's more commonly associated with the phrase. It's still nothing close to the "point" of the game as far as I'm concerned though, but it is at least a more significant part of it than it was to me before the habitat list.

Lucario95

Behold The Aura!
First I do my adventure, raising my pokemon to the best lvl as possible, then I will try to catch them all, but obviously I will never accomplish it.

Rex Kamex

In the Japanese version of, well, I guess Red and Green, does Professor Oak tell you he wants you to complete the PokeDex or just fill it to some point but not necessarily all the way? In any case, the credits roll after beating the Elite Four and Champion in those games. That suggests the end of the game. I don't think the credits ever roll when one completes a PokeDex.

To answer the question though, getting the badges and beating the Elite Four and Pokemon Champion, while capturing Pokemon.

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
Pokemon advocates collecting, but, not necessarily all of them. Pokemon is a game which has many different sides to it, and one can choose how they wish to play the games. I do it for the adventure and discovery.

I completed one entire national Pokedex in my whole life back in R/S/E days. It totally wasn't worth it, IMO.

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
The adventure, of course. I don't think I ever bothered with trying to complete a dex, it is just too time-sinking for me.

Starsurfer

Pokemon Idol
The adventure. I've never viewed completing the Pokedex as the focus of the game. In fact I view it as rather tedious. Catching and training a team of Pokemon I love and exploring the world has always been what I felt is the point of the the game. Pokedex comes second, if I even feel like bothering. (Which I rarely do, as always end up remembering that some Pokemon are only available via events, deeming the whole thing pointless if you're not willing to go to them.)

Shyy_Guii

Absol Fanatic
1. Completing the adventure.
2. Raising pokemon.
3. Catching them all.