• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is the most ridiculous thing to come out of the anime?

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The people here know how I love SM....:)

janejane6178

Looking back at BW there was a time in the series where Iris was kinda there and unable to battle. Excadrill wouldn't listen to her, Emolga used Volt Switch to get out of battles and Axew only knew two moves. I was recently watching an episode where Trip challenged her to a battle and she couldn't because her team was so dismantled.
I think Iris was handled well during all BW, amazing character
It shows how much she has grown

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
The DP-BW transition. Thanks, you gave the stupid conspiracy theorists fuel for their already great fires.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
That goh’s trials will allows for helper on a constant basis like ash, when the whole point is to test the skills of the people who will fill in the 3 chaser spot.

It’s something that’s starting to annoy me more than the contest knockout rule the more i think about it.

janejane6178

That goh’s trials will allows for helper on a constant basis like ash, when the whole point is to test the skills of the people who will fill in the 3 chaser spot.

It’s something that’s starting to annoy me more than the contest knockout rule the more i think about it.
Yes its funny how he always gets help from others. Someone participated with Dawn may and Serena in their contests/showcases? Someone helped Iris during her battles?

janejane6178

Serena was helped by the writers especially in this scene. Also May had plenty of help thanks to the bar system in contests.

hqdefault.jpg

Seriously? I am talking about getting help from characters, not by the writers. Characters that are actively helping in the goal . U saw Ash participaing in Serena’s showcase and helping her? U saw him entering May’s contest and fighting her opponents with her? They got support and advices, but when entering the exam itself (showcase/contest/battle) they did it BY THEM SELVES ALONE.

And what is this lazy argument - "getting help from the writers"? If so- Goh gets PLENTY OF THAT. Above all other characters we had in this show

Its like talking to a wall

Last edited:

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
What jane said basically. I'm not talking about the usual plot armor or plot convenience that pretty much every main character gets. Though yes, i actually do consider the contest battle rules and performance random 1st round to be dumb as well. I just find this the most annoying so far because it's the one that goes against the whole point of the competition in the first place in addition to undermining goh's accomplishment for absolutely no reason.

Allowing for outside help during trials that's supposed to be about determining the trainers skill is just dumb and defeats the purpose of doing the trials in the first place. If goh only manages the trials because ash helps him during it then can he be trusted to perform during the actual expedition without his back up? Or will ash be allowed to follow along and making the whole participant limit pointless? Plus, it kinda makes ash look a bit bad because helping one person directly so much when one of his other friend is also doing his best to compete. Like i know gary wouldn't want help and won't be knocked out anyways, but the possibility of gary not getting a spot because ash helped goh get more tokens 'technically' exist and that feels bad.

The teamwork excuse is also bunk because being able to work with ONE SPECIFIC person doesn't guarantee he ability to work with other people he doesn't actually know well, if anything it might point to the inability to do so. This is doubly bad for goh since he initially refused to take part because he doesn't like to work in a team. Finding help during the trial due to overlapping objective, like gary did would be fine, since it shows the ability to handle unexpected situation. But a constant helper is just dumb. If they want to test teamwork have it be a trial where goh has to work together with asahi/tsurugi or any of the other candidate, as in the people he'll actually need to work together with during the expedition. Best case scenario is that goh and ash realize this is not doing goh any favor in showing and developing the needed skills and backs off, but i have my doubts the show would go there.

They should've had ash help indirectly by helping goh train his pokemon or exploration skills outside the trial and give moral support during it. You know, like pretty much every other character goal until now. If they were so afraid of ash not being in the episode, they should've made ash tag along to the flying base each time and have him monitor goh's trial with asahi or tsurugi from there. Basically doing the same commentator job every other character had. Or if it's trial that takes a while and requires goh to think and find stuff first, like with moltres, just have him hang around the park doing his own thing, but maybe give goh some inspiration to solve a problem by doing something else unrelated. If they want to downplay ash's role during the trials to not upstage goh, they shouldn't have him be there to require that in the first place.

Ughh. Like i said, the more i think about this the more annoyed i get.

deliaketchum

Serena was helped by the writers especially in this scene. Also May had plenty of help thanks to the bar system in contests.
Jane was talking about getting help from other characters. Like Gary Oak doing trial missions alone. But seeing ash doing practically nothing other than telling goh to use steel against fairy/ice, i wouldnt count that to be help. Technically seems two person, but it is more of companion then help.

Lol getting help from writers, every one needs as they are fictional characters. Serena was shown to become rhyhorn racer just like dawn with contests. No wonder they already had skills.

If something looks forced narrative wise, it was goh convincing ninetales emotionally to come with. I dont know what skills you need. Any one can do that by looking into eyes.

deliaketchum

I mean.....she made oceanic operetta lol
The bubble goal was always a childish non serious thing Lana had for popplio after rescuing popplio and seeing it's bubble making skills. Over the series with all Lana focused episodes we see her slowly gradually aiming to become a water type expert like Misty, the seafolk were major inspirations as well and to that end she won the water trial, evolved popplio all the way and used the Z move also making the biggest bubble ever. And then continuing on her journey by going to find mythical
Here core of the character is much more then "blowing the largest bubble", esp if you actually watch the series beyond the opening episodes but you can't really expect much from people like Jane lol to put things in fair perspective when it comes to SM
I like SM for different reasons but this is overstating things that characters were developed in SM. The whole series was laid back and episodic. Focus was on fun and friends rather than seriously developing goals.

oceanic operata was a big bubble, cool looking. Every character had 1 or 2 episodes focusing them learning z move and rest were team dynamics. Ash had few episodes with training but that didnt seem serious which is fine as the show was not intended to be.

Main focus was Z rings, moves,crystals island guardian challenges, ultra beasts and tapu lele. Even that was shown to be more adventure and fun oriented. it was interesting concept and different from regular gyms.

I think SM should not be compared to other series and should be judged for different parameters. Seeing it for serious goals and development, i didnt find any of that. Even ash who was main focus ( maybe the reason others were not developed) wasnt shown to develop perhaps lack of competion and rivals.

SM shines when you are bored and just want to rewatch some random episode like friends tv show. It has that quality which is nice change from previous series.

Last edited:

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Goh. Honestly, I don't think that character should've ever existed in the current Pokémon anime. If he did, he shouldn't have been presented in a positive light. All he does is collect Pokémon in the hundreds, spends next-to-no time bonding with them and then claims that he captures Pokémon to 'understand' them; all so he can capture a rare, mythical monster. Not to mention, the lack of challenge in most of his captures makes his goal feel incredibly dull.

It's like watching Lawrence III, except Goh's captures, motivations and personality are nowhere near as interesting.

deliaketchum

But it's still a Pokemon series along with it's others ones so why shouldn't it be judged like the rest? Especially when it still has Ash doing battle challenges and there's a Pokemon League like the other series.
Yes, but the formula of travelling with only 3 characters collecting gym badges was completely changed. Instead it was more episodic than any other series. I dont think only leagues should be judged but the series overall which it clearly was different. There were 6 main characters with many recurring ones.

There wasnt even a league till very late of the series. Earlier series clearly established the goal of winning league. The battles with island kahuna were for z moves and gaining different crystals. Not to mention making poses which i found funny and over the top

Last edited:

Sonnas

Yes, but the formula of travelling with only 3 characters collecting gym badges was completely changed. Instead it was more episodic than any other series. I dont think only leagues should be judged but the series overall which it clearly was different. There were 6 main characters with many recurring ones.

There wasnt even a league till very late of the series. Earlier series clearly established the goal of winning league. The battles with island kahuna were for z moves and gaining different crystals. Not to mention making poses which i found funny and over the top
Ehhhh, sure it's just I didn't find the comedy or over the top moments funny in this series as it wasn't my cup of tea.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Oh cmon Ash isnt even helping Goh like you guys are stating, hes basically just cheering him on like he did with other companions. Goh achieved his mission ON HIS OWN. Also he isnt a lawrence III lmao, that guy wanted them for cruel purposes and didnt see them as proper companions. It may be offscreen a lot of the times but Goh takes an effort to bond with his mons
I like SM for different reasons but this is overstating things that characters were developed in SM. The whole series was laid back and episodic. Focus was on fun and friends rather than seriously developing goals.

oceanic operata was a big bubble, cool looking. Every character had 1 or 2 episodes focusing them learning z move and rest were team dynamics. Ash had few episodes with training but that didnt seem serious which is fine as the show was not intended to be.

Main focus was Z rings, moves,crystals island guardian challenges, ultra beasts and tapu lele. Even that was shown to be more adventure and fun oriented. it was interesting concept and different from regular gyms.

I think SM should not be compared to other series and should be judged for different parameters. Seeing it for serious goals and development, i didnt find any of that. Even ash who was main focus ( maybe the reason others were not developed) wasnt shown to develop perhaps lack of competion and rivals.

SM shines when you are bored and just want to rewatch some random episode like friends tv show. It has that quality which is nice change from previous series.
And youre undermining things if you state characters arent developed in SM. Instead of goal based they get character based development. SM isnt everyone's cup of tea sure, its vastly different and went on its own themes and it executed them well enough in a satisfying manner. Sure did characters like Mallow and to an extent Sophocles get the short end of the stick? Yea but they still had amazing character moments and episodes and a great chemistry with everyone else, bouncing off perfectly and maintaining the dynamic.

SM is different then other series sure but I dont mind others comparing it as long as they are fair and take its themes and what it was trying to do into account rather then them saying its trash coz those themes arent suitable to them, it is a part of anipoke after all.

SM does have great rewatchability factor agreed, but I dont think its a show just when youre bored, for me its when I want to feel wholesome or want to see cute dynamics or pokemon interactions, it did well in that.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Oh cmon Ash isnt even helping Goh like you guys are stating, hes basically just cheering him on like he did with other companions. Goh achieved his mission ON HIS OWN. Also he isnt a lawrence III lmao, that guy wanted them for cruel purposes and didnt see them as proper companions. It may be offscreen a lot of the times but Goh takes an effort to bond with his mons
Ash directly helped goh by sending out his mons to look for ninetails, telling goh what type would be best quickly, and held off the hazard in the form of regice.

How is that not helping? Goh would have more trouble doing the same thing without backup. At the very least he would’ve taken longer to search the same amount of area and would’ve had to fight off two things at once.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Ash directly helped goh by sending out his mons to look for ninetails, telling goh what type would be best quickly, and held off the hazard in the form of regice.

How is that not helping? Goh would have more trouble doing the same thing without backup.
In the end though Goh caught the mon on his own accord, did he not?
Considering the circumstance Goh is in compared to the other companions when they are on a stage and all while Goh needs to be out in the field, Ash not doing anything would be weird and people already complain he cheerleads
In the end the mons Goh gets are on his own accord and abilties, he does the goal on his own