• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is the most UN-creative Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvalador

tainted holy water
You don't understand-- you're free to discuss people's opinions, but when they tell you to stop, because they're feeling harassed, and the same happens with multiple people it probably means you should stop. You're not discussing opinions, you're not even discussing yours, you're just telling everyone why theirs is wrong and yours is right. Just stop, honestly. Maybe it was okay at first, you were just pointing things out but now you're making people angry, and causing drama when it would be a whole lot easier just to stop.

Kakuna's uncreative too-- it's literally a cocoon. That's it.

Shiny Swalot

Shiny Swalot Powerz!
The pokemon i find most un-creative is...................

Patrat. It is just a bidoof on 2 feet with strange coloured eyes

Toxicity

Toxic to the touch
KANTO

-Diglett + Dugtrio (what?) They're based on whack-a-mole arcade machines. Dugtrio is three Diglett because more moles pop up the more you progress.
-Seel + Dewgong (it's a seal) I like Seel. :( I think its dopey face and upside down pose give it character. Dewgong is admittedly very boring.
-Voltorb + Electrode (it's a ball with a face on it) They're mimics! I love mimics in video games, and making the mimics lightning-fast creatures that only attack in self-defense is something new.
-Goldeen + Seeking (it's a fish) ...Yeah. Koi are pretty cool-looking, though.

HOENN

-Beatifly (Butterfree rip-off) Yeah. Admittedly kinda pretty.
-Gulpin + Swalot (Grimer and Muk rip-offs, but looking 10x worse) What, no, Gulpin and Swalot are great. Have you seen their mouths open? Looks ridiculous.
-Wailord (it's a whale) It's a blimp whale. Wailmer is a balloon, Wailord is a blimp. Logical progression.
-Numel (what?) It's a volcano camel with a hilariously dopey expression.
-Luvdisc (it's a heart-shaped... thingy...) Discus fish. They actually are shaped like hearts.

SINNOH

-Finneon + Lumineon (it's a fish) Yeah. I do like the butterfly motif.
-Rotom forms (...) How is Rotom uncreative? It's a fantastic idea. You have a poltergeist Pokemon that possessed a TV, so its alternate forms are it possessing other machines with typings that suit what those devices do.

UNOVA

-Pidove (it's a pigeon) Isn't that just Pidgey? All these birds look the same.
-Ducklett + Swanna (it's a duck and swan) They're fairly elaborate designs, especially Swanna's ballgown-style wings.
-Alomomola (it's a Luvdic with fins. Congrats?) Ever heard of the molamola fish? Admittedly, Alomomola really should have been the size of Snorlax. Also would have been a better Luvdisc evolution.
-Tynamo (it's a fish... thing) It's a lamprey. A floating, weak, adorable lamprey.
-Beartic (it's a bear) It's a polar bear. An ice polar bear. Admittedly, that's a bit obvious.
-Stunfisk (WTF is this?) A cross between a stargazer and a flat fish. Might also have elements of the torpedo ray.

To clarify a little on my list: bad or ugly Pokémon design do not necessarily mean uninspired, else there would have been a Johto section and plenty more on the other region sections as well (with Bidoof and Patrat as the main entries on that list). Uninspired to me were mostly Pokémon designed too closely to real life animals and without enough cartoon to them to make them a little more unique, or Pokémon whose designs are too close to designs from previous generations.
I think a Pokemon that might seem weird or uncreative can be more entertaining if you know its origin. I also think that even a Pokemon that's just an animal with no gimmicks can look neat; Noctowl is basically a cartoon great horn owl that has none of the visual gags Hoothoot did, but it works because no other Pokemon looks that way.

Last edited:
Ahh, another design that is simple, yet creative. Swalot is a good enough reason not to defend unoriginal Pokémon's creativity when it is so simple and still so imaginative. It's a mouth with whiskers and a patterned design, odd and new even until now because the design is so different from the concept (a giant mouth). If you based a Pokémon on a mouth, would you have automatically thought of Swalot? Probably not. If you wanted to base a Pokémon on a Pokeball, though, Voltorb is literally the first thing that comes to mind.

I like how people complain about Voltorb, and yet its entire gimmick was supposed to be that it looked exactly like a Pokeball so that it made the false item ball believable. Electrode is a little more debatable. Voltorb however made sense within its own gimmick.

Bluebird55

Mr. Blue Skyyyy
Tangela? I don't like to criticise but I guess if you got a mop and painted it blue and drew a pair of eyeballs and put a pair of red feet on it then I guess it would work.

The reason I don't like to criticise is because it's not right in my eyes but ah well, haha :).

I Like Pie!

Smile smile smile!
Honestly saying, there are no bad designs in Pokémon. All of them are based on excellent concepts, which, even though are not obvious at first glance, are brilliant at hindsight.

I for one actually didn't understand Dunsparce's design, until I read an article about it just today. :D

Pokémon are beautiful, majestic creatures, everyone should believe in that. :')

I like how people complain about Voltorb, and yet its entire gimmick was supposed to be that it looked exactly like a Pokeball so that it made the false item ball believable. Electrode is a little more debatable. Voltorb however made sense within its own gimmick.
Doesn't matter if it was a gimmick, so was Castform. Castform was dull, but you definitely can't say it's been done before or looks like anything else anywhere. Like I said before, deliberately uncreative design doesn't make it creative. The basis and the Pokémon are identical, minus eyes, for poor Voltorb.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
So, here's my thing. Those that keep arguing that "there are no uncreative designs" have missed a solid point. This is the MOST UNCREATIVE. Not specifically completely uncreative Pokemon. Just Pokemon we find less time was put into their design. That adds a scale. Quit trying to say that all Pokemon are equal in terms of design. They aren't. Some were given less attention and people can decide for themselves what designs are less thoughtful and leave it at that. Checking back every hour to argue that Voltorb rocks isn't changing anyone's opinion.

Greekboy

Eh, honestly I don't see any that qualify as uncreative, but since I didn't read the post above me and don't want to look like a fool, I'll just say Voltorb.

Don't forget that this thread isn't based solely on designs, either. In fact, in the OP's Seel example, the name and typing are also mentioned. The design is only part of what makes a Pokemon what it is. Voltorb's design might not look creative to some, but the concept and flavor behind it (a deceiving Pokemon that disguises itself as items and then attacks unknowing trainers) might be a different story entirely. So don't get so focused on the design that you forget to take into account the flavor involved in its typing, movepool, Pokedex entries, and even stats.

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
So, here's my thing. Those that keep arguing that "there are no uncreative designs" have missed a solid point. This is the MOST UNCREATIVE. Not specifically completely uncreative Pokemon. Just Pokemon we find less time was put into their design. That adds a scale. Quit trying to say that all Pokemon are equal in terms of design. They aren't. Some were given less attention and people can decide for themselves what designs are less thoughtful and leave it at that. Checking back every hour to argue that Voltorb rocks isn't changing anyone's opinion.

...and in case you haven't been paying attention, that,s exactly what everyone against I creativity has been saying.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
...and in case you haven't been paying attention, that,s exactly what everyone against I creativity has been saying.

It's not that I haven't been paying attention, I just got sick of reading your posts but happened to notice that you keep posting. No one cares what you have to say. Period. They will think something is uncreative because it seems like a lazy interpretation of its real life model. Just give it up.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
-Gulpin + Swalot (Grimer and Muk rip-offs, but looking 10x worse)

Ehh, SWALOT is much more awesome

Yay?

Honestly saying, there are no bad designs in Pokémon. All of them are based on excellent concepts, which, even though are not obvious at first glance, are brilliant at hindsight.

I for one actually didn't understand Dunsparce's design, until I read an article about it just today. :D

Pokémon are beautiful, majestic creatures, everyone should believe in that. :')

Well, this, sorta.

Dunsparce is nice and obscure.
I love it's obscurity.

Wurmple. Just Caterpie and Weedle spliced together, innit?

How? Pretty much the only things they share are Typing, all being caterpillars, and them having eyes.

One word: Swalot. What in the world is that thing? Grimer and Muk are piles of sludge but have a "texture" to them and a certain personality...

Swalot and Gulpin are classified as the Poison Bag. Gulpin more or less is a more obscure version of Trubbish, the feather representing the knot used to close, while both are also based on mouths.

And, "texture" and "personality"? In what bizarre fanon did you manage pull that from?

@everyone, this thread seems to be on the verge of a legal flame-war.

Last edited:

Mew The Gato

It's not that I haven't been paying attention, I just got sick of reading your posts but happened to notice that you keep posting. No one cares what you have to say. Period. They will think something is uncreative because it seems like a lazy interpretation of its real life model. Just give it up.

"Uncreative" and "least creative" has a big difference, my friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.