• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is the Point of Having Dawn/Ash Blow at What They Do?

Lishus13

Poli-Spriter!
I can't understand the writers, or what they plan to do as we continue along the series. Why does Dawn have to constantly botch up her contests with rivals that come in for one/two episodes and pokemon that are scared out of their hair? Why does Ash need to lose to each Gym Leader, despite having 10 seasons of experience, while Paul blazes by like it's stealing bananas from an armless flock of dead pigeons?
I'm telling you, if Ash miraculously beats Paul further down the line when it really matters (i.e. Sinnoh Championship), it'll be the corniest, most cliche ending that has ever been.
This series....I don't like Piplup. I don't like Ash. The Pokemon are either overused (Pip Pi Pp LUP LUP LUP SHUT THE **** UP) or never used (Buneary? What Buneary?).

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian
They are the underdogs. It's supposed to show that you can do anything with friends. It's sort of like a theme...

Yes but with Dawn they have effectively gone overboard. For lack of the better word she absolutely sucks at contests at having won only one ribbon. Funny thing is that I once predicted that she would suck at contests and become a ranger. The first part has come to pass.... but its too late for the second...

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Dawn's actually only ever lost one Contest battle, her first battle to Zoey.

Dawn lost the other two Contests because of her appeals, not her battling. In other words Dawn is a pretty competent battler, its her appeals that she's messing up.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
Dawn has an excuse, she's a novice and she's confused and just needs to figure out her specific Style, Now Ash on the other hand is going Overboard, New pokemon or not this Guy really needs to wake up and realize that he Hasnt wont in 3 League Championships, Now this is 4th and he's struggling with Gyms, Now I'll admitt D/P has shown Ash training his pokemon alot More and having 3 Pokemon learn 3 moves in a span of 5 episodes is showing some development and Growth, But I still think his should be at a higher level

thunderblade12

reiji traveled through 4 regions and the battle frontier..i dont believe hes ever won a league despite him having even more experience than ash, he wasnt even able to conquer the battle frontier

Misty Fanboi13

Over Analyst
May winning everything=Fandom Complaining
Dawn not winning everything=Fandom Complaining
Ash having a good balance between winning and losing=Fandom Complaining

I'm noticing a pattern here

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
reiji traveled through 4 regions and the battle frontier..i dont believe hes ever won a league despite him having even more experience than ash, he wasnt even able to conquer the battle frontier

And how exactly do you know he didnt win a Championship? I mean we only saw Badges, So I wouldnt jump to conclusions

But Im forgetting somebody, evrybody's favorite Rival Paul, In my haste to get mad at Ash, I didnt stop to realize that everyone is dead set on Paul being so strong ( including me ) that I Didnt realize with all his tough talk , he's never won a league either, So He and Ash need to get it together, I've also realized that Paul should have won something by now with his "weed out the weak" theory, using all strong pokemon should yeild results other than Sweeping a Gym or 2, So What I said for Ash earlier Now Goes for Paul as well

C.J. Ray

I wanted Shaymin! :(

Yeah, you can't please anyone. :(

unown?

ghost freak
it adds to their character.

PokemonHero

I can see the future

I noticed that too. I have no complaints personally. I think that what they have done with Ash this season is actually pretty good. He has only once had to rechallenge a Gym Leader, so he is doing well. May was never a prob with me either, since she was one of my favorite characters ever.

Actually, I think what the writers have done with Dawn is great. When D/P first began, I thought she was a bit overconfident. Think about it. Her mother was a great coordinator and I think Dawn expected to be just as good or better. But her losing, especially in the appeals rounds, really have brought her down to earth. Now she realizes she has a long way to go to be the best.

All of this adds to character development. This is one area where I think that, over the years, the writers have improved upon the most with the series.

Misty Fanboi13

Over Analyst
I noticed that too. I have no complaints personally. I think that what they have done with Ash this season is actually pretty good. He has only once had to rechallenge a Gym Leader, so he is doing well. May was never a prob with me either, since she was one of my favorite characters ever.

Actually, I think what the writers have done with Dawn is great. When D/P first began, I thought she was a bit overconfident. Think about it. Her mother was a great coordinator and I think Dawn expected to be just as good or better. But her losing, especially in the appeals rounds, really have brought her down to earth. Now she realizes she has a long way to go to be the best.

All of this adds to character development. This is one area where I think that, over the years, the writers have improved upon the most with the series.

Exactly, how dumb would it be to have the legacy of a super star become an insta super star as well?

I have to say, all of these losings are a refreshing change of place from May's winning streak.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I have to say, all of these losings are a refreshing change of place from May's winning streak.

May never really had much of a winning streak when you think of it. Her highest winning streak was 3 wins in a row, and that was about it.

May had a Contest loss in the middle of each saga and of course the Grand Festival losses...she was murdered in both. Solidad literally wiped the floor with her and back in the Hoenn GF Drew beat her fairly easily as well.

Durivan

May never really had much of a winning streak when you think of it. Her highest winning streak was 3 wins in a row, and that was about it.

May had a Contest loss in the middle of each saga and of course the Grand Festival losses...she was murdered in both. Solidad literally wiped the floor with her and back in the Hoenn GF Drew beat her fairly easily as well.

Yes, her biggest streak was three wins but even that is unrealistic, even a win streak of two is unrealistic for a relative beginner. The most important part was she had a 10/3 record in official contests outside of the grand festival. One of those losses was her first contest when she didn’t know what she was doing, and another was when she used her Bulbasaur before it was ready. That gives her only one fighting loss where she put up a fight but still lost. Now that is highly unrealistic.

Her losses in the GF should be expected as the winners of thoses were older and far more expirenced coordinators. I can't see how you would expect her to win a GF when Ash has never won a real league.

fishyfool

And a nice chianti
Four words: God in the Machine.

Translate that to latin, if ye will. The fact that Dawn's in this contest, likely to lose to a more experienced coordinator, and has her facts that the Ginger Ninjer is her obstacle means that should she watch May utterly make Zoey her wife, then she might be inspired and dredge herself out of her hole.

In the meantime though, her contest career will be composed of Suck and Fail.