• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is the root cause of homosexuality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Oncoming Storm

I went to jared
I posted a question in a previous thread that was closed due to being off topic so now I will post this question in it's own thread. I am not trying to insult with this question and I do not wish to start a flame war so please be civil.

If homosexuality is present at birth then why is it not considered a genetic mutaion, for lack of a better word?

I am not trying to insult I am just trying to see both sides of said arguement. Please be civil, thank you for you replies.

Battlestar

TRC Boss
It is when they have swayed off there right path and chose to be gay.
I think of it is them choosing it.
It pretty simple.

I posted a question in a previous thread that was closed due to being off topic so now I will post this question in it's own thread. I am not trying to insult with this question and I do not wish to start a flame war so please be civil.

If homosexuality is present at birth then why is it not considered a genetic mutaion, for lack of a better word?

I am not trying to insult I am just trying to see both sides of said arguement. Please be civil, thank you for you replies.

Um, I don't know how to put this...

This is no argument or debate. This is no "both sides to the story".

We have not been able to pinpoint the exact cause of homosexuality. If you had done some research before making a probably useless thread, you would have learnt that there are possible biological (genetically rooted), evironmental and psychological underpinnings. No probable cause (i.e. biological, environmental and psychological) opposes the other to form a dichotomy of one explanation versus the other. It is quite possible that there is a complex interplay of all three of these factors. Additionally, human sexuality is far beyond gay and straight and other silly "black and white" classifications. It has been shown that many human characteristics are developed through complex biology and genetics. Also, "genetics" is more than just "you have X gene so much must have Y characteristic".

Furthermore, religion has no say as to what causes homosexuality. Consequently, any comments including religious "explanation" would be stupid irrelevant.

That's as much as I can add. Any other relevant comments would just comprise of numerous theories and suggested explanations that are in lieu of biological, environmental and psychological causes.

EDIT: I'll add something personal. I have known that I am gay for as long as I can remember. I do not recall ever being assaulted (some people cite this as a possible contributor to homosexuality) and I do not recall ever choosing to like men. I actually never would choose to be gay, considering where I grew up. I therefore think that my homosexuality has a biological (and possible environmental) cause. I know some older men (30s, 40s, etc.) who have claimed to realise their homosexuality later on in life. At first I used to doubt them, but now I totally believe them. I have been getting more acquainted with my sexuality by talking to other gay men and I have come to realise, from all the many experiences I have heard about, that homosexuality (and probably every other "category" of human sexuality) is very complex.

Last edited:

The Oncoming Storm

I went to jared
Actually according to most they find that being gay is something you are born with. The obvious arguement is is it a choice, a genetic thing, or an enviormentaly caused situation.

Steelers_Fan

hiding in your mind
well yeah because it's not in the Bible.

The cause isn't but there are several verses that are about homosexuality and what happens to those sinners.

As for my beliefs, I believe that it is a choice.

Actually according to most they find that being gay is something you are born with. The obvious arguement is is it a choice, a genetic thing, or an enviormentaly caused situation.

The only dichotomy is between choice and no choice. "Choice" has no solid foundation or proper basis (religion may be the original basis and like I have said, that "explanation" should be dismissed).

I'm going to be very disgruntled if this thread becomes flooded with a bunch of silly people talking about what the bible supposedly says will happen to homosexuals in order to come up with an explanation of the cause of homosexuality. This is beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:

legendarypokemonmaster

A gene.

These threads are starting to overgrow even more than religion threads.

Alleviate

Banned
I'm going to be very disgruntled if this thread becomes flooded with a bunch of silly people talking about what the bible supposedly says will happen to homosexuals in order to come up with an explanation of the cause of homosexuality. This is beyond ridiculous.

I think it's funny that people like you act like they know so much about Christ Followers and the Bible. There's nothing in the Bible about the cause of homosexuality. It's rarely even touched on. No one is using it as a reason so stop pulling the 'cool and mentally sound atheist christians are stupid' card.

Battlestar

TRC Boss
Homosexuality is certainly caused by choice.
It has to it unnatrual so if one is gay they choose it.

I am probably going to be argued. :/

I think it's funny that people like you act like they know so much about Christ Followers and the Bible. There's nothing in the Bible about the cause of homosexuality. It's rarely even touched on. No one is using it as a reason so stop pulling the 'cool and mentally sound atheist christians are stupid' card.

I'm not pulling any card, you ignorant being you.

The very fact that the bible does not talk about the cause of homosexuality is enough reason to leave the bible out of this argument. The bible supposedly talks about what homosexuality is and what will happen to homosexuals. You need to keep in mind that the bible you have read has been written in a language and lexicon which did not exist when the bible was first created/written (you pick one) by man. As such, exact ideas and thoughts will not have been conserved. So "abomination" may not effectively describe an exact idea that was mentioned centuries ago. Etc. etc. etc.

And I am just going to stop posting in this thread. I have already said what needs to be said on my behalf. Anything else that Alleviate needs to add will certainly not be short of utter nonsense (as has been shown many a time before).

Last edited:

thejt

Everyday Im Shufflin
I don't believe that there is a scientific answer to this.
I think it is a choice. People seem to think for themselves sometimes. Some choose to like the same gender.

legendarypokemonmaster

I agree.
What is more sad is that these "gay" threads are not just about homosexuality. Somehow, some people love to bring jesus, mohammed and allah/god into this...
No one has yet, and even if they do, there is not much they can say.
Homosexuality is certainly caused by choice.
It has to it unnatrual so if one is gay they choose it.

No, it's not a choice, that doesn't make sense. The only part that is a choice is whether they decide to act on their impulses. Homosexuals have been around all through history. They don't reproduce, so the gene should die out correct? People can be carriers of genes, that is how it would survive. Also, I believe the amount of homosexuals in the population, about 10%, has been about the same throughout history.

Kreis

Still Dirrty
I think it is a choice. People seem to think for themselves sometimes. Some choose to like the same gender.

While I won't deny that some people do choose the "gay path," majority will tell you it's not a choice. Just like you did not wake up and choose to like girls, same applies to the homosexual community.

One more important idea.

Choosing to be gay is not equal to choosing to engage in gay activities or choosing to accept that you are gay. Use some freaking logic, people.

Au revoir mes amis.

Battlestar

TRC Boss

I agree with you mostly.
However you do not need to choose to like the opposite gender.
Its natural!

Also if all of you can't at least agree that liking the opposite sex is natrual, it will be impossible to argue with you for your close mindedness.

Status
Not open for further replies.