• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is the series' goal here?

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
It is and will always be the promotion of Pokemon merchandise.

Especially them plushies.

Who needs quality when you can get convinced to buy a key chain?
It has been a promotion even for the duration of the DP or XY series, and they did relatively fine story-wise.

So I don't find that to be a believable excuse.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
In short...
I believe that Ash's goal this series is to participate in the Pokemon World Championships that will appear in episode 12
But didn’t the episode description say that Lance vs Leon was the final match of the World Championship?

Jeal

When I read that it would be about all regions, I was excited, not because of old characters coming back (whoever thought it would happen was deluded), but because I thought it had a lot of potential, with the anime finally breaking free from the games.

I only watched the first two episodes, but from what I read, I am disappointed. A series full of fillers? for real? Even SM is better.
I hear you guys but this seems like the kinda thing that kids would get bored watching like. They know nothing important is happening so there's no harm missing an episode. And it keeps going till they stop watching entirely
Children don't care if a series is episodic or plotheavy. Most cartoons are episodic. If it's funny, they don't care. Problem is: Pokémon right now it's neither plotheavy nor funny.
The lack of a female "companion" does make wonder if this particular series is targeted specifically towards boys?
Every series was targeted specifically towards boys.

In short...
I believe that Ash's goal this series is to participate in the Pokemon World Championships that will appear in episode 12 AND maybe having Ash to participate in Defense Matches with
1: Characters of Sword and Shield (or its expansions)
2. Popular characters related to Ash (Gary, Paul, Alan, Brock, Cilan)

I also believe that in this series we are having a lot of past characters cameos, including SM characters, specially if Ash is participating in the Pokemon World Championships. Specially someone who may be Ash's wife.

I believe that Go is going to catch 150 + 1 Pokemon (its 151 will be Mew). I hope that Go has a team to battle in various tournaments, participate in Gyms and even on Pokemon Contests.

I also believe that Koharu only goals is 1) to have a girl in the show, even with such reduced screentime, 2) If Ash has a wife, Koharu would be Go's wife.

I believe that Pocket Monsters (2019) could be the last saga of the Pokemon Anime, at least with Ash/Satoshi as its main protagonist.

Note: For the record, I hate that this could be the end of Ash's anime, but I think it could happen.
You really have high expectations. Haven't you learned anything all these years?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Soniman said:
I never thought about that but again you'd think a concept like world touring would give a great sense of adventure but you don't really feel that because it's essentially fast traveling across the map and popping right back in Vermilion. :/

I'm not quite sure what the difference would be. Satoshi and Gou traveling to other regions still works as a concept regardless of them returning to Kuchiba City after their adventures end. I'm just not seeing how them traveling from region to region without having a home base would make the series any better since they don't even spend that much time in Kuchiba City, anyway.

J Bouken

I'm not quite sure what the difference would be. Satoshi and Gou traveling to other regions still works as a concept regardless of them returning to Kuchiba City after their adventures end. I'm just not seeing how them traveling from region to region without having a home base would make the series any better since they don't even spend that much time in Kuchiba City, anyway.

I disagree that it even works as a concept. Ash and Gou are basically going on holiday for a day and coming back. When they cut out the physical travelling part and just fast-travel from place to place, it makes the world seem smaller, which in turn weakens the sense of adventure.

Adventure is also all about being far from home and no longer confined to a single space, but this doesn't work if the characters are always going home when their day trip is over.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
It's not just the fast-travel, although the fast-travel is indicative of the insane pace this series has. It just hops from adventure to adventure without taking time to breathe and very little for character moments or depth. Go hops from capture to capture without taking the time to get to know his pokémon, the characters hop from region to region without taking the time to see the road there, and with only one episode in each area there is no space to get some depth beyond standard filler fare. Visiting a lot of regions had a lot of potential, had it been executed well. The potential to meet old characters again, the potential to do things that were missed the first time we were there (like Meteor Falls in Hoenn, and the ORAS additions like the Draconid people from the Delta Episode), and with the promotion showing Ho-Oh, I was hoping for some kind of development there as well, but they're not grabbing any of that potential. The Ho-Oh episode was just a kid with his pokémon pretending to be Ho-Oh, and we didn't learn anything about the legend we didn't already know. They could have gone more in-depth with who Ho-Oh's chosen ones are with the old guy being one of them for instance, maybe drop some hints or any kind of seed that we're going to do more with this. Instead all they did was repeat the story that Morty already said back in the day "Ho-Oh hasn't been seen for centuries, nowadays plenty of people believe it doesn't exist anymore."

For those saying episodic format vs overarching plots, yes, an episodic format can work for certain shows. But those shows are generally shows with a wider cast of recurring characters to prevent things getting stale, and with characters having interesting interactions with each other. Pokémon 2019 has for all practical purposes only two recurring characters that do anything, and Go and Ash don't have the most interesting dynamic. We're only nine episodes in and it's already getting stale.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Get SS (100%, and rhymes with the current series prefix) rank on all missions provided by Prof Sakuragi even if they're not shown, in which is another step ahead for Ash to become a Pokemon Master.

04n70n10

Please read better my words, "This remind me a bit (somehow...with all the differences of course) " is kinda different from "This remind me totally\absolutely the first year of sun and moon".....

I'm a bit tired to putting premises, premises and premises and always.... because, like many said, we all know the differences. My point is very simple and more general, without 1:1 comparisons... like in sun and moon (......let's see in this forum the old discussions of that time...) I think that it'll take time and many-many episodes to see a more clearer direction of characters goals..... if this is better or worse, for good or bad reason, respect Sun and Moom, XYZ, ABC or whatever is another discussion and not my point.

"A (very) slow start" without clear direction and goals seems to be the trend indeed, probably because even for poké-writers is still a work in progress, something probably they already established (in broad terms) for the long run, but not all for sure, so they don't expose themselves too much, expecially in this "season", and with their "not love" (almost "scared" for some absurd reason) for the continuity (aside from special episodes where they are capable to put even too much continuity... only here....)..... like I said I just hope they don't waste "dynamax Wailords" of potential for too long...

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
J Bouken said:
I disagree that it even works as a concept. Ash and Gou are basically going on holiday for a day and coming back. When they cut out the physical travelling part and just fast-travel from place to place, it makes the world seem smaller, which in turn weakens the sense of adventure.

Adventure is also all about being far from home and no longer confined to a single space, but this doesn't work if the characters are always going home when their day trip is over.

I suppose that I've always seen their adventures as being more like field trips than vacations, so to me it isn't a bad thing that they always return home after a short time. And in the case of the old regions that Satoshi has already visited before, I honestly don't see why he would want to stay in them for longer than one episode at a time given that he's already explored those regions thoroughly.

DatsRight

I have to kinda agree that PM2019 right now feels a bit too much like 'fluff'. It might have some payoff later on, but to build that up through somewhat generic episodic plots doesn't feel as satisfying (though in fairness it's hardly the first series to do such).

The thing is it seems to be following off of SM's more episodic free range storytelling, however even with its erratic pacing and handling, SM seemed to quickly grasp a 'core' basis of what it wanted to be, a more laid back character driven series that would quietly world build and let viewers slowly seep in the region and its inhabitants this time round. Even some more subtle motifs like the 'king in their own element, fish out of water outside it' plots for many of the protagonists was demonstrated or foreshadowed quite early.

To compare PM2019 doesn't seem to have any specific goal just yet, some recurrent theme to build on, just random fun with Ash and Go which isn't BAD, but gives less long term to be excited about. I admit the filler process isn't quite as monotonous as early series at least, it has more entertainment value on that approach than say, DP and XY would with just their fillers, but it's not really something worth making the entire bulk of the show about. Only a handful of rewarding elements for long term fans have been demonstrated so far (eg. Pikachu's backstory, Mimey getting an active role, a male companion that's actually a proactive character), though given all the trends SM broke by its final season, you never know what might come.

J Bouken

What confuses me about this new format is why they reduced the cast size.

I feel episodic shows work best when you've got a decently sized cast to work with. My favourite episodic anime, Gintama, has a core cast of six characters, plus even more supporting characters who appeared often. Any given episode could be divided into two stories about two entirely different characters, which prevented the series from getting too stale.

PM2019 on the other hand basically has two core characters and has yet to develop its supporting cast, and already it's starting to feel samey and one-dimensional.

In SM, if I wasn't too enamoured with Sophocles or Mallow, I could at least look forward to episodes with Lillie or Lana. Or even in XY, if I wasn't too bothered about Bonnie or Serena, I at least had Clement-centric episodes to watch. Whereas here, if I don't care for Gou that much, I don't have any other option because the series has thus been almost entirely about him.

I genuinely believe this series will be heaps more interesting with a broader cast.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jibanyan said:
Watch the series get rebranded as "Pokémon Sword and Shield" and settle in Galar in a year or so

Someone brought up this possibility before, but I somewhat doubt that the series will get rebranded. I feel like the writers are dedicated to the new formula of this series, and that they'll continue doing the region hopping thing while showing Galar every couple of months, but without specifically pandering to Gen VIII in the title.

Red and Blue

Anyone else kind of frustrated that this "world tour" saga has set a full half of its 12 revealed episodes in Kanto?

It MAY even out over time, but still...

Galar died for this.
Well it was to be expected since Kanto is where Ash and Go's main base is.

The only region that will get as much or more episodes is likely Galar