• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is the worst way Ash lost a League?

What is the worst way Ash lost a League

• Ritchie winning because Charizard disobeyed him

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • Harrison winning with Blaziken

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Tyson winning with Meowth

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Tobias winning with Darkrai and Latios

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Cameron winning with 5 Pokemon

Votes: 51 54.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Ash's loss to Tobias was impressive as he took down two legendaries in battle.

Also Sceptile proved itself as Ash's second strongest powerhouse after Charizard.

RVD_fan

The battle against Richie was a mess, but they were still kind of figuring out how to do battles so I don't hold it against them too much.

Other than that, I have to say Unova.

dman_dustin

I chose Ritchie.

Cameron is a close second, the thing is no matter how messed up Cameron's battle was, it still resembled a battle.

With Ash not commanding his Pokemon, and the horrible ways to lose a battle (outside of the legitimate Charizard disobedience) this one wasn't even close to a battle.

People are choosing Cameron because it happened now of all times.

Had something like Ritchie happened but in full battle terms happened now at this time, people would be more enraged.

Had the battle with Cameron happened at the Indigo league exactly, then no one would really care, it might be bad, but it might actually be 2nd or 3rd.

The battle with Ritchie will always be the worst battle ever in my opinion. If they could do a better job against Mandy, and the other Indigo trainer why the hell did they decide to flub up Ash's last battle.

I get that Ritchie was obviously inferior to Ash, but come on.

No battle will ever be as bad to me as Ritchie's was because it wasn't even a real battle. It was just some dancing choreography mess.

It honestly was so bad it was like Ritchie was directing the battle so he could win.

Ritchie: Okay Ash send out your disobedient Charizard so it can "beat" my Charmander (because it runs away), but you lose to my Pikachu and lose the battle.

Ash: *uncertain* I'm not sure about that, but okay.

People thought it was okay for Ash to lose with Charizard being disobedient, that's fine and everything but that wasn't the problem of the battle, that just added onto a very bad to begin with battle.

Take Ash vs Harrison but place it in the Indigo League, had a battle like that happened but Charizard was disobedient, and that's why Ash lost, sure it may be infuriating and everything for Ash to lose like that but at least the rest of the battle could make up for that infuriating but acceptable possibility.

So while I chose the Ritchie option, I didn't choose it because disobedient Charizard, because if I was forced to choose I would take disobedient but really good battle, over the horrible mess battle with only 5 Pokemon.

But I would rather choose the battle flow like it did with Cameron than that horrible mess that was "Ash vs Ritchie"

I actually don't really have an opinion. I'm surprised Tobias didn't get as much hate as I thought when first seeing this thread, and, yell at me all you want, Tobias was my favorite rival. Granted he did have one of my favorite Pokemon, so I liked him because of that.

Though Cameron's was pretty bad... He wasn't even that smart of a trainer.

broomstig

Water/Dragon Leader
1 ritchie
2 tobias
3 harrison
4 tyson
5 cameron
the first league was just a joke really, charizard would be able to beat ritchie easy, and no matter how hard he could have tried, charizard wouldn't have been KOed, bad call by the ref. charizard was blatantly just waiting for the other pokemon to wear itself out before flicking it away

tobias cos he was using legendary pokemon which i dont think is a fair call cos in the anime theyre about 10 times stronger than they are in the games

harrison cos he was using blaziken and hoenn pokemon which give him an advantage as ash doesnt have a clue what they are, although when ash uses foreign pokemon in leagues everyone knows what they are and how to beat them for some reason

tyson was fair enough, tough battle but pikachu's thunderbolt should be stronger with STAB and the fact that pikachu is unparalleled in electric strength

cameron was all fair if you ask me, yes the league was bad, cameron was bad and ash should have done better but even if cameron had 6 pokemon he still would have won so it makes no difference. no legendary pokemon, all fully evolved once lucario was around - and a lucario should easily beat a pikachu. i do admit that it was a terrible battle though

although, the best battles were tobias, harrison and tyson so not too annoyed about ash being bested by them. just ritchie really annoys me

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Edit: Haha why am I not suprised at the result :D

Well we're talking about someone who practically cheated and got away with it. So of course it's not really a surprise. :p

I'm surprised that Ash's loss to Ritchie got so many votes though given that Charizard seems to be a fan favorite who, according to most people, has no flaws. :x

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Well we're talking about someone who practically cheated and got away with it. So of course it's not really a surprise. :p

I'm surprised that Ash's loss to Ritchie got so many votes though given that Charizard seems to be a fan favorite who, according to most people, has no flaws. :x
Even the most flaming (hehe) charizard fanboys can admit that was definitely one flaw, that he single handily caused ash to lose to ritchie.

Rayquaza07

King of Uber tier
I saw the episode where Ash lost to Cameron and his cario. Although it was kinda pathetic, Ash not training czard to even obey him seemed way worse.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Because no one wants to invest in a main character (I don't care about him, but others do), only for an uber noob to be thrown in just to curb stomp him. And in the end, him being 2nd best didn't really matter.

At least Ash's loss to Tobias was glorious. Him being second is a new high in all of Pokemon. He didn't even come close any of the other leagues. Also, Ash's loss to Cameron is completely humiliating. In truth, if Ash had actually played smartly like how he did during vs Kenyan, he could've won. I'm not talking about using another team. Not talking about using Charizard/Sceptile/Infernape/Snorlax etc etc. I'm talking about with his arguably weakest team.

I'd much rather have a cheap win than a humiliating win. Considering how Ash doesn't even seem to feel at least a bit... sad, it just really ruins it for me.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
The Kanto, Hoenn and Unova ones are all just horrible. I don't know why people keep talking about it like it's going away or anything. You can still hate league losses but still like certain battles about them. That's what Pokémon is about. I hope we can move past this because I get sick thinking about it.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I haven't even finished watching the Unova league episodes yet (I'm playing catchup), but I don't anything could compare to the heartbreak of Ash losing the Kanto league because Charizard wouldn't obey him.

I haven't even finished watching the Unova league episodes yet (I'm playing catchup), but I don't anything could compare to the heartbreak of Ash losing the Kanto league because Charizard wouldn't obey him.

Oh, this is pretty close, Wobbanut. I'd even argue it's the worst of them all. The Indigo League loss is a very close second, though, but for me this one takes the cake.

Hikatoshi26

yeah the Unova loss was BS. Indigo made sense it was his first league. I hate Hoenn as well out stratergized by a meowth......grumble grumble.

yeah the Unova loss was BS. Indigo made sense it was his first league. I hate Hoenn as well out stratergized by a meowth......grumble grumble.

Agreed. Hoenn felt generic, Kanto sucked, and Unova was pure BS of a League.

Sinnoh is my least favorite saga so far, and even I have to admit the League was excellent in that region.

UltimatePokemonExpert

Experienced Trainer
OK, now let me tell a small tale of why I detest Cameron. See, it doesn't just piss me off that he won with 5 pokemon, used an uber pokemon he seemingly pulled out of thin air, and a freaking lucario that took out a FLYING type pokemon, no that's not what takes the cake for me. See, Cameron is an idiot, he had no idea what he was doing. If it weren't for Ash being a nice guy and helping out a friend, he'd be in freaking Johto. See, the reason why it pisses me off so much is because recently something similar happened to me. I lost a part in a play because I decided to be a nice guy and tell my competitor that the director wanted him to audition for the same part as me when he didn't know. I decided to be the nice guy. Long story short, the director made me drop my black belt training guarenteeing that I'd have the part, and ended up giving the other guy the part. Because I was nice, I lost.
The fact that something so similar happened to Ash only about a month or two after I had experienced a similar defeat...you could definately say it brought up some serious anger I had. Anyways, I didn't come here to complain about my life, but that is, among MANY other reasons, why I hate Cameron and always will.
As for the others, Tobias was cheap, but Ash took out two legendaries. If the writers are going to be jerks and never let Ash win, at least they did it that time in a cool way. Charizard not obeying Ash I can accept because it was only the first season and it allowed for character development. As for the Blaziken and Meowth battles, eh, Ash got out strategized. There's nothing wrong with that.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
You know, people used to go on all the time about how disappointing it was that we never got to see Ash battle legendary pokemon in a trainer battle and that legendaries were treated as off-limits. Then when the writers introduce a skilled and majestic trainer who has not only captured but gained the respect of two mid-level legendaries (and they're really not legendary by anime standards, as they're definitely not unique and don't have particularly mythic qualities) and used them in battle... it's considered a low point for the series. Tobias did seem to come out of nowhere, but the show made it clear that he was making his league debut with the intention of winning with a single pokemon. Ash was the ONLY trainer, gym leader or league, who was able to prevent this. Tobias won two other full battles with only Darkrai. I concede that Latios was maybe overkill and I would have preferred something like Tyranitar, but how many other times have we legitimately been surprised by the show? Latios was a very well-kept secret, as was the fact that Sceptile would be the one to overcome Darkrai. I like that they took such a massive one-off risk and I believed Tobias and enjoyed the episode. I would have preferred a two-parter and some backstory for Tobias, but DP was wrapping up and we at least got a couple of awesome match-ups in there.

As for Cameron... yeah, that match was really dumb. The five pokemon problem wasn't even the worst of it; using Ferrothorn and Swanna against such bad match-ups was just stupid, as was giving Pikachu two wins which could well have gone to others. Snivy should have defeated Samurott in my opinion, while Ferrothorn would have been good for defeat by Unfezant. Riolu evolving mid-battle to defeat Ash? I'm fine with that, because I like Lucario and Ash hadn't battled one in quite a long time (and never with Pikachu) so my biggest qualm would be that they let so few of Ash's Unova pokemon shine in that league.

DedicatedFan

You know, people used to go on all the time about how disappointing it was that we never got to see Ash battle legendary pokemon in a trainer battle and that legendaries were treated as off-limits. Then when the writers introduce a skilled and majestic trainer who has not only captured but gained the respect of two mid-level legendaries (and they're really not legendary by anime standards, as they're definitely not unique and don't have particularly mythic qualities) and used them in battle... it's considered a low point for the series. Tobias did seem to come out of nowhere, but the show made it clear that he was making his league debut with the intention of winning with a single pokemon. Ash was the ONLY trainer, gym leader or league, who was able to prevent this. Tobias won two other full battles with only Darkrai. I concede that Latios was maybe overkill and I would have preferred something like Tyranitar, but how many other times have we legitimately been surprised by the show? Latios was a very well-kept secret, as was the fact that Sceptile would be the one to overcome Darkrai. I like that they took such a massive one-off risk and I believed Tobias and enjoyed the episode. I would have preferred a two-parter and some backstory for Tobias, but DP was wrapping up and we at least got a couple of awesome match-ups in there.

Agreed. People act as if the Pokemon League is Smogon. There are no tiers in the Anime. If a person is strong enough to catch a legendary, then he or she should be allowed to use it. So long as it isn't an Arceus lol

Last edited:

Sprinter1988

Tobias was the worst. Ash had a decent team in Sinnoh, and he used his previous pokemon as well. The legendaries were used to make sure Ash lost. His team didn't help though. Swellow, Torkoal and Gible were just there to take the hit.
Cameron was the next worst. I would have put him first like so many others, but Ash was always going to lose the Unova league at some point. His Gym battle with Roxie all but guaranteed it.
The battle with Ritchie is next. It was painfully inevitable.
I don't know which was better - Tyson or Harrison. At least Ash had good full battles against both. But I suppose that Harrison was more annoying because Charizard should have had the edge in terms of type advantage.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Tobias was the worst. Ash had a decent team in Sinnoh, and he used his previous pokemon as well. The legendaries were used to make sure Ash lost. His team didn't help though. Swellow, Torkoal and Gible were just there to take the hit.
Cameron was the next worst. I would have put him first like so many others, but Ash was always going to lose the Unova league at some point. His Gym battle with Roxie all but guaranteed it.
The battle with Ritchie is next. It was painfully inevitable.
I don't know which was better - Tyson or Harrison. At least Ash had good full battles against both. But I suppose that Harrison was more annoying because Charizard should have had the edge in terms of type advantage.

Couldn't you say the same thing about the Sinnoh League?

Status
Not open for further replies.