• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is/will be your team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grei

not the color
Ya, the move problem is what stopped me from choosing him. I was considering Scrafty for a very long time, but I just couldn't get passed its very mediocre move set. But I'm pretty sure a lot of people like it because it only has two weaknesses, no quadruple weaknesses, is immune to psychic and resists ghost and dark.

I don't think his moveset's too mediocre. He could definitely use attacks like Drain Punch and Sucker Punch naturally (though Drain Punch as an egg move is passable), but moves like Hi Jump Kick and Payback or Crunch work well for STAB attacks (especially with Hi Jump Kick's improved accuracy). The sets:

Rest
Drain Punch or Hi Jump Kick
Payback
Bulk Up or Dragon Dance

are phenomenal on him.

Monochromatic

A.k.a: Nemo
I don't think his moveset's too mediocre. He could definitely use attacks like Drain Punch and Sucker Punch naturally (though Drain Punch as an egg move is passable), but moves like Hi Jump Kick and Payback or Crunch work well for STAB attacks (especially with Hi Jump Kick's improved accuracy). The sets:

Rest
Drain Punch or Hi Jump Kick
Payback
Bulk Up or Dragon Dance

are phenomenal on him.

Even better than mine.

Rest + Shed Skin FTW.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
The problem is, if I were to use a Scrafty, I'd mainly use it as a fighting type, and its fighting moves aren't that good. It knows maybe two good fighting moves, and both are pretty inaccurate.

Umbra2388

Electric trainer
Really looking forward to using my scrafty you can make up some great movesets with him like-
Rockslide
Hi jump kick
Payback (low speed)!
Scary face

Zebstrika is also looking very promising

Monochromatic

The problem is, if I were to use a Scrafty, I'd mainly use it as a fighting type, and its fighting moves aren't that good. It knows maybe two good fighting moves, and both are pretty inaccurate.

It gets Brick Break at Lv.20, and Hi Jump Kick at 31. What else are you looking for?

Ok, so it doesn't get Mach Punch, Hammer Arm, or Superpower.

Hi Jump Kick > Hammer Arm/SuperPower, so who cares...
Mach Punch is nice, but Scrafty already has a crowded movepool. Yeah, you heard me.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Another thing with Scrafty is its Attack really isn't good. Considering it's a very physical fighting type, 90 base Attack is not that good. Especially when you compare it to Sawk's 125 and Conkeldurr's 140. But if you like a defensive Pokemon, then I guess it's pretty good.

WhiteForest

~Dumbledore's Army~
I like Sawk a lot. Conkeldurr would have been great but his stats are wasted with his dismal movepool. I am still strongly considering Scrafty but he does seem a bit OU.

Sawk learns some fun fighting moves such as: Reversal, Close-Combat, Brick-break, karate chop, counter, and on and on

Last edited:

Monochromatic

Reversal - Highly Situational
Close-Combat - 5PP, lowers defenses, which could spell out loss
Karate Chop - 50 BP, high crit depends on luck.
Counter - Again, situational.

Brick Break is meh, outclassed by Drain Punch IMO, and even more by HJK.

Sawk's nothing special.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Sawk has a very good Attack stat, and that can help with the bunch of physical moves it can learn by TM. In fact, if you like Scrafty for Payback, it can even learn that by TM.

WhiteForest

~Dumbledore's Army~
If only meinshao came earlier this decision would be so easy >_>

Monochromatic

I meant Movepool wise.
Stat-wise, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Scarfty has a lower attack, although still respectable, base attack, and a much lower speed, but he makes it up with bulk.

To be honest, HJK is an amazing move, too good to pass up IMO.

(Plus, a little shallow, irrelevant, and subjective, but Sawk looks ugly IMO =/)

Beck

Soul Suckin' Jerk
I need some (more) advice. For the most part, it has to do with abilities.

First:
Unfezant. Big Pecks or Super Luck? I was leaning more towards Super Luck because of the amount of moves in his movepool that can land Critical Hits, but was still concerned at the fact that they were all Special moves. Unfezant's Attack is noticably higher than his Sp. Attack. In said case, is the added potential for Critical Hits worth it?

Second:
Krookodile. Intimidate or Moxie? I plan on breeding him as soon as I enter Nimbasa City so he can learn Fire Fang (to cover 3 of his 4 weaknesses), but don't have the slightest clue (nor preference) as to which Ability is better.

Third:
Haxorus with Rivalry, or Haxorus with Mold Breaker? I think Mold Breaker would be better, as it's not so situational, but I'm still not sure. I've never bothered with either Ability.

And last, but not least:
Galvantula or Lilligant? Choosing either won't affect my type spread (though, it will my coverage). My biggest concern is what types need covering more than others throughout the game. Both would be sound Sp. Attackers, too. Each has their own pros and cons.

I would appreciate the help. Thank you.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Actually, I think Sawk looks a lot less ugly than Scrafty. But I really don't want this to become a looks competition.

WhiteForest

~Dumbledore's Army~
Beck, this is what I would go with personally but others may disagree (this is just my preferance)

Unfezant - Super Luck
Krookodile - Intimidate (although moxie could be useful)
Haxorus - Mold Breaker

and on galvantula vs lilligant

I have strongly considered both for my team. It depends on what you want really. They are both very good. I only chose lilligant because i needed a grass, it has a nice sprite, and i enjoy some of its moves. Galvantula has a powerful bug-duel type. If you have a galvantula with compoundeyes, the TM thunder will hit often.
Its really up to you but they are both great options.

Grei

not the color
Even better than mine.

Rest + Shed Skin FTW.

No kidding. I love that so much. That's the type of Scrafty I plan on getting. :D

It gets Brick Break at Lv.20, and Hi Jump Kick at 31. What else are you looking for?

Ok, so it doesn't get Mach Punch, Hammer Arm, or Superpower.

Hi Jump Kick > Hammer Arm/SuperPower, so who cares...
Mach Punch is nice, but Scrafty already has a crowded movepool. Yeah, you heard me.

This. Brick Break is already a standard Fighting-type move. And if you want more power, then you can go with Hi Jump Kick. (I was wrong earlier--now, the damage dealt is equal to half of the user's max HP. So, it's akin to Head Smash, but if you have Rest that's not too much of a problem.) If you want to avoid using Hi Jump Kick, what you can do is give your Scrafty Substitute and then let it learn Focus Punch. Then you get a super-powered Fighting STAB attack that can (almost always) go uninterrupted.

Or, go with Drain Punch or Brick Break, as both are viable Fighting-type moves.

Scrafty is designed to be more defensive than offensive. If you want a stereotypical "brawn over brains" Fighting-type, Scrafty isn't what you should be looking at in the first place.

Last edited:

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy

90 base accuracy Hi Jump Kick? 100 base accuracy Drain Punch, Brick Break and Low Sweep?

Am I missing something?

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Scrafty is designed to be more defensive than offensive. If you want a stereotypical "brawn over brains" Fighting-type, Scrafty isn't what you should be looking at in the first place.

Well I personally don't choose fighting types for a defensive Pokemon, because I feel like it's one of the best types of Pokemon offensive wise, and there's many other types that can cover defense better.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
I've got my preliminary teams for my English Black and White. I can almost guarantee they'll change.

Black:
Samurott
Hydreigon
Vanilluxe
Sawsbuck
Mienshao
Chandelure

White:
Emboar
Zoroark
Beartic
Leavanny
Swoobat
Jellicent

Sad thing is? That's changed since I first drew up the plans yesterday.

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
Well I personally don't choose fighting types for a defensive Pokemon, because I feel like it's one of the best types of Pokemon offensive wise, and there's many other types that can cover defense better.

Scrafty was made to be defensive, buddy. A practically impeccable type combination and Base 115 defenses?

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
90 base accuracy Hi Jump Kick? 100 base accuracy Drain Punch, Brick Break and Low Sweep?

Am I missing something?

Sawk can learn Brick Break and Low Sweep. I'm not a huge fan of Drain Punch because I don't like 5 PP moves that aren't that strong in exchange for healing. And 90 accuracy isn't that good when you can replace it with a move that has 100 accuracy.

Scrafty was made to be defensive, buddy. A practically impeccable type combination and Base 115 defenses?

And that's why I don't want to use Scrafty. I'm not saying it's a bad Pokemon, I'm just explaining why I don't want to use it and prefer Sawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.