• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is "Wrong" with Homosexuality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alleviate

Banned
EDIT: Original Title
What is wrong with gay people?
changed to
What is "wrong" with gay people?
changed to
The Gay Marriage Circle-Debate-Athon
even though this thread never had anything to do with gay marriage.

EDIT: Thread title restored.
EDIT: Changed to
What is "Wrong" with Homosexuality?
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Don't say "nothing".
wrong   /rɔŋ, rɒŋ/ Show Spelled[rawng, rong] Show IPA
adjective
1. not in accordance with what is morally right or good: a wrong deed.
2. deviating from truth or fact; erroneous: a wrong answer.
3. not correct in action, judgment, opinion, method, etc., as a person; in error: You are wrong to blame him.
4. not proper or usual; not in accordance with requirements or recommended practice: the wrong way to hold a golf club.
5. out of order; awry; amiss: Something is wrong with the machine.
Before you cite the other definitions and say they don't apply it doesn't matter because that's not how definitions work.

http://gaylife.about.com said:
How many gay people are there in the United States?
The Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law, a sexual orientation law and public policy think tank, estimates that 9 million (about 3.8%) of Americans identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender (2011). The institute also found that bisexuals make up 1.8% of the population, while 1.7% are gay or lesbian. Transgender adults make up 0.3% of the population.
http://sports.yahoo.com said:
Top 10 Highest Free Throw Percentage Shooters in NBA History

1. Steve Nash(notes) - .9041

Steve Nash is currently the all time best free throw shooter by percentage at .9041. Nash has led the league twice in free throw percentage and shot over 90% from the line 6 times in his career. He is currently shooting .915 from the line this season.
Steve Nash has free throws on lock. If he misses one to lose a game thousands of basketball fans everywhere will scream that it's a fluke.
He misses almost 1 in 10 free throws. 1 in 10 of these free throws is flawed. One of them is wrong.

As a generous estimate 1 in 27 people some how wind up desiring their own sex or mangling their bodies. 1 in 27 humans are then flawed. One of them is wrong.

Only 1 in 27.

That leaves two theories:
a.) LGBT's are bungled in the brain
b.) LGBT's are bungled physically

One could either claim that due to bad formative experiences or mental trauma they wound up desiring their own sex.
Psychological trauma (Greek: Ψυχολογικό τραύμα - Psychologico travma) is a type of damage to the psyche that occurs as a result of a traumatic event. When that trauma leads to posttraumatic stress disorder, damage may involve physical changes inside the brain and to brain chemistry, which changes the person's response to future stress.
Homosexuals can then be said to have "brain damage". Either something is wrong with them psychologically or physically.
Brain injuries often create impairment or disability which can vary greatly in severity. In cases of serious brain injuries, the likelihood of areas with permanent disability is great, including neurocognitive deficits, delusions (often specifically monothematic delusions), speech or movement problems, and mental handicap. There will also be personality changes. The most severe cases result in coma or even persistent vegetative state. Even a mild incident can have long term effects or cause symptoms to appear years later.
impairment /im·pair·ment/ (im-pār´ment) any abnormality of, partial or complete loss of, or loss of the function of, a body part, organ, or system.
ab·nor·mal·i·ty   /ˌæbnɔrˈmælɪti/ Show Spelled[ab-nawr-mal-i-***] Show IPA
noun, plural -ties.
1. an abnormal condition, state, or quality; irregularity; deviation.
1 in 27.

Another option is genetics, in which case the gene is either sex-linked
sex-linked trait said:
A trait associated with a gene that is carried only by the male or female parent.
(demonstrably false), or a phenotypic trait
A trait is a distinct variant of a phenotypic character of an organism that may be inherited, environmentally determined or be a combination of the two
which makes slightly more sense (explains bisexuality)
On April 14, 2003, the International Human Genome Consortium announced the successful completion of the Human Genome Project—two years ahead of schedule. The press report read: “The human genome is complete and the Human Genome Project is over” (see “Human Genome Report...,” 2003, emp. added). Most of the major science journals reported on the progress in the field of genetics, but also speculated on how the information would now be used. The one piece of information that never materialized from the Human Genome Project was the identification of the so-called “gay gene.”

Homosexuality has been practiced for thousands of years. Simply put, homosexuality is defined as sexual relations between like genders (i.e., two males or two females). It was Sigmund Freud who first postulated that parental relationships with a child ultimately determine the youngster’s sexual orientation. But this “nurturing” aspect has effectively given way to the “nature” side of the equation. Can some behaviors (e.g., alcoholism, homosexuality, schizophrenia) be explained by genetics? Are these and other behaviors influenced by nature or by nurture? Are they inborn or learned? Some individuals believed that the answer would be found hiding amidst the chromosomes analyzed in the Human Genome Project.

The human X and Y chromosomes (the two “sex” chromosomes) have been completely sequenced. Thanks to work carried out by labs all across the globe, we know that the X chromosome contains 153 million base pairs, and harbors a total of 1168 genes (see NCBI, 2004). The National Center for Biotechnology Information reports that the Y chromosome—which is much smaller—contains “only” 50 million base pairs, and is estimated to contain a mere 251 genes. Educational institutions such as Baylor University, the Max Planck Institute, the Sanger Institute, Washington University in St. Louis, and others have spent countless hours and millions of research dollars analyzing these unique chromosomes. As the data began to pour in, they allowed scientists to construct gene maps—using actual sequences from the Human Genome Project. And yet, neither the map for the X nor the Y chromosome contains any “gay gene.”
Ouch.
One could also conclude that each gay individual has a malformed gland or gene that controls a normal sex drive. Perhaps a faulty chromosome. Faulty chromosome, hmmm, sounds like something I know of called Down syndrome.

YOU BE THE JUDGE

Hmm. Hm hm hm. For the time being, folks, I'm going to leave this open. I'll give you my reasons, so you can understand.

1. I completely disagree with Alleviate's stance on homosexuality, but I respect the effort he put into making this thread as logical, secular, and inoffensive as possible. And in terms of "gay" threads, you all should understand that such an effort is remarkably uncommon. Rather than calling homosexuality "wrong" from any insult-based perspective, he gave a more neutral definition of simply "irregular or not recommended." There is certainly still much in his definition and his argument that can be strongly refuted, so if you disagree with Alleviate's opening post, please clearly and calmly debate those points.

2. The visitors to the Debate forum clearly feel the need to debate something about homosexuality, as annoying as that is. I could be (and have been) closing every thread on sight, and place a moratorium on the topic, but because people here eternally lack reading comprehension when it comes to rules and notices, it would only add more work in terms of closings and infractions for me. I figure we may as well deal with the best we've got, and as told in my previous reason, I think this thread is as good a homosexuality topic as we're likely to get unless some famous intellectual decides to hit up SPPf for a trade and a controversial argument.

I do hope everyone will respect my decision and my reasons. If there does come a point where the participants simply cannot avoid flaming and spamming, then naturally this thread will have to be closed. Until that time comes (and if you think it has come, please PM me with your proofs), I request that people avoid posting things like "this thread is stupid," "inb4Profesco," "waiting for lock!" and other such spam. I'm being lenient on the topic, not on the posters. Spam and flames will still be infracted, so you'd all best avoid them.

Also, I have been busy offline of late (and will continue to be so), so if I don't catch all of your concerns in a timely fashion, I ask your pardon.

Last edited:
So you're basically proffering the idea that homosexuals are damaged in some way. Now what?

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
One word. Nothing.

And who are you or anyone else for that matter to decide something is unusual? Unnatural? No one really can go around saying that unless it's really unnatural like something that only just started and is not the norm, not something that has been present for hundreds of years, far as long as straight people have able to fall in love with each other, the day that humans were capable of love, that's when it became.

lugia p

zekrom trainer
LOL "mentel tramua" WOW "brain damage" AWSOME. You are plain rude. Its natural, acting on it is a whole other story.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
I decided to take it upon myself to finally make a good one. From the other perspective nonetheless.
You're not doing a good job of it.

I would ask, "What's wrong with you?" but I already know what it is. You're 9. You posted that on my wall, but I deleted that because I thought you finally got banned, but you were only temporarily suspended. It looks like that problem might soon be alleviated.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Nowhere does the Dictionary even reference homosexuality in your post, nor do I really care because there is nothing wrong with it. Otherwise then there is something wrong with heterosexuality, and then we might as well back it up to the word Love, there must be something wrong with every single person on the planet who falls in love then.

dragontamer98

Modern Genocide
There is absolutely nothing wrong with gay people. Its completely natural, and its a life decision the way I'm seeing things. It has nothing to do with "brain damage".

Beyond Sky

Under the weather
Well what do you want us to say? Gay people are mental? If you're going to troll, at least make it entertaining.

.TraX.

Bad and Nationwide
"4. not proper or usual; not in accordance with requirements or recommended practice: the wrong way to hold a golf club. "

Sexual orientation is not golf, what two consenting adults do is their own business and there is no "correct" practice beyond that.

M4zz

Banned
What's right with Gay people?

All jokes aside, there is nothing wrong with gay people. In fact, the word gay shouldn't even apply. It's real definition is merry or joyous. The punks of the late 20th century and 21 century have just discombobulated the word into an offensive word towards a group in society.

Odds are, there's something wrong with those that cannot accept the hmomsexual society, namely in North America, where most of the discrimination occurs. It's a way of life for some people. If a human's goals are to be sucessful in life, how must sexuality determine this?

/closethread

murkrowrob

Yamask Hugger x_x
Don't say "nothing".
Nothing.

There is no such thing as normality in humans. Sexual reproduction allows for variation. Variation is good in a species.

You could also say "What is wrong with tall/short/brunette/blonde/ginger/white/black people?" Just because someone possesses a trait or aspect of their personality which differs with the majority of the population doesn't mean that something is wrong with them.

One could also conclude that each gay individual has a malformed gland or gene that controls a normal sex drive. Perhaps a faulty Y chromosome. Faulty chromosome, hmmm, sounds like something I know of called Down syndrome.
If you knew anything about genes you'd know that only males have a Y chromosome. Explain lesbians to me then.

Please find a hobby that isn't attempting to prove anyone LGBT is unnatural.

Not all definitions need to be applied to this if you want to apply your original logic.

If someone holds a golf club in the "wrong" manner, they could still end up playing Golf successfully. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are flawed.

Likewise, if a man has sex with other men, then ok, according to that definition (which is, let's be honest, very if ever used in that context you highlighted) he is wrong in that he is not (strictly) normal. Though this is not to say that this is a flaw. Wrong in this case is simply being substituted for different.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Listen, I don't care if you don't wanna see it, but there is nothing wrong with people who have a homosexual preference. They're still human, and the more you act like they're "broken" or "wrong", the less it makes me think that you are human.

Grow. Up.

George~©

All Gravy
I read the title and lol'ed.

No nothing is wrong with gay people. Its a genetic and everyone is different genetically. We're all 'wrong' if you think about it.

TheEpicGoomba

Nothing. There is nothing wrong being in love with someone of the same sex. They're still Human and they aren't doing anything wrong.

RiotFire

One in ten people are left handed.... by your logic, does that make them damaged also?
As a gay person in a long term relationship of seven years, I do find all these threads about how "wrong" my existence is ever so tiresome... why not use this energy to actually search for your own reason to exist in life rather than choosing to condemn minority groups and the lives they lead...

Gay people aren't just people on tv, magazines or playground insults... we are actual people, funny enough, who have families, go to school and work, live and experience life just like any other person... and yet somehow are forever having to justify ourselves and our reasons for living continuously to ignorant close-minded people who somehow believe they are superior just because they can get some drunk gir knocked up at a house party and spend the rest of their life sponging off the taxes the rest of us pay!

Do me a favour and post a definition as to why YOU exist!

Status
Not open for further replies.