• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is "Wrong" with Homosexuality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Asuka is awesome. <3

I never actually saw a gay pride parade, so I don't know what all the fuss is about. I guess what I would define as "excessive" gay pride is if it's all a gay person talks about 24/7.. and I doubt you'll ever find that.

Simply having pride or having a parade about it isn't exactly that bad when our country is still behind the times about this issue. I say go for it just for awareness sake.

zandgaia

*Gasp* He's back!
Simple answer: Nothing

Hetero people are afraid of "them" because they are different than others and because "we" don't have knowledge/a grip on it.

You should walk one day in my hometown and listen to them: listen to them how much they use gay or homo (dutch word for gay) as curse words. It sickens me slightly..

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
The OP says that we should not say "nothing." That obviously has to mean that there is something wrong with gay people. Could it be that being gay is what's wrong with them? If that were the case, this thread would be solved and done for.

STICKTOPIA

Nothing is wrong with it. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

randomspot555

One thing I don't get, why do gay people have to flaunt it so much. Gay pride parades, "gay and proud" etc. Do what you do, you are you. But why do you have to make it apparent that you're gay? You don't see me go around showing people that I'm straight and proud. Should I go to a public area, bend a chick over and start f*ckin her and say "Hey look at me everybody. I'm straight and I'm proud of it" You don't see any "straight pride" parades.

You make a point there.

No, he really doesn't. If you've ever been to a city, pride parades are just one of dozens of parades and/or festivals every year that celebrate a particular culture. In my city, off the top of my head, there are French, German, and Irish festivals held (usually 1-3 day events), a parade for Labor Day, a parade for the Indianapolis 500, Black Expo (a 2-ish week long of lecutres, networking events, and some events that take place in public areas as well), and others that I'm forgetting.

I know some people will counter that with "durr why does what skin color/national origin/sexual orientation matter?" but the fact is, our cultures help define us more than just strictly what they contribute to our physical appearance or what have you.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
To do with gay pride parades - of course people who are proud of their sexuality are going to want to flaunt it. We live in a society where so many people are oppressed because of who they love. Straight people don't need to be proud of it because it's seen as the 'norm' (I believe the term is heterosexism?). Of course gay people will want to have at least one day where they can be the important ones.

Chris-kun

i still believe
To do with gay pride parades - of course people who are proud of their sexuality are going to want to flaunt it. We live in a society where so many people are oppressed because of who they love. Straight people don't need to be proud of it because it's seen as the 'norm' (I believe the term is heterosexism?). Of course gay people will want to have at least one day where they can be the important ones.

Culture is heteronormative by design. Being straight is the accepted norm. Homosexuality is a deviation from the norm. A discriminated-against deviation. The way I see it, we don't have any choice but to "flaunt" it I suppose, if that's what heterosexuals want to call it. Heterosexuals don't need a day to celebrate their heterosexuality. Turn on the television, watch any movie, listen to any song, walk down every street, you'll see celebrations of heterosexuality. Every day is "heterosexual day." Heterosexism is kinda the right term, but that's more the concept that heterosexuals believe themselves better based on their sexuality. Compare with sexism and racism.

Just a somewhat off-topic question to gay people(the dudes)? Hypothetically, what goes through your minds when you see an attractive female with little to no clothes? Me, I can't take my eyes off of her. But say if I saw a naked guy; good looking or not, I'm grossed out, don't want to look, etc. Does a gay guy get turned off by looking at an attractive naked female? Basically, is your reaction to an attractive female similar to my reaction to an "attractive" male?

If you swap the genders around, that's what my reaction would be. Girl's hold no sexual attractiveness to them. I can appreciate them as beautiful, but for me, it's only when they're clothed. Although, I wonder more if I think the woman is beautiful or if I think the clothes are beautiful, because that's more what I focus on.

There's nothing sexually stimulating about a woman for a gay man, it's not that hard a concept to understand. I'm not sure why you needed to ask the question tbh.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
To do with gay pride parades - 1)of course people who are proud of their sexuality are going to want to flaunt it. We live in a society where so many people are oppressed because of who they love. 2)Straight people don't need to be proud of it because it's seen as the 'norm' (I believe the term is heterosexism?). 3)Of course gay people will want to have at least one day where they can be the important ones.
1) I don't see why one needs to be proud of their sexuality? You are what you are. Now one can be proud of their prowess as a lover, but why be proud of being homo or hetero? It's like having a parade because you are proud of being tall or blonde or green eyed!

2) Yes if gay people can/do parade their pride, then everyone should do the same. A hetero parade would look just as silly as a gay parade... don't the Japanese have a parade to honor sex? Or was it the Chinese? They march 10' long phallus's down the street if I remember the documentary correctly!

3) As for this... Valentine's Day is a day for lovers to recognize/express/reaffirm their feelings. This is a holiday that everyone can share, so long as they are sharing love for the one they love. Why would you need a separate holiday for gay love and hetero love when a lover's holiday already exists?

RiotFire

Slightly off-topic but I was in work the other day serving two guys (cashier, not rent boy capacity! lol!) and on the front page of the local newspaper was a story about a man who raped a 4 year-old girl. One of the guys turned to the other and said "Wouldn't it be funny if that was your brother! At least you'd know he wasn't gay!" Then they both started laughing and looked at me expecting me to laugh with them. I just walked away.

As a gay man, I encounter this sort of thing all the time (doesn't help I work on a naval base), it's strange how in this scenario, someone, without thinking, places a paedophile on a higher moral standing than a young gay man. Maybe I'm over-thinking things, but I assume that this is something that heterosexuals don't experience so much?

Another memory I have was back when I was 12 years old in school, we were drawing life-maps and stuff and I was expected to predict at what age I would get married and when I would have children, etc. Cival partnerships and gay marriages didn't exist back then, so it makes me think just how much and where else society makes the assumption that everyone is heterosexual?

ChedWick

1) I don't see why one needs to be proud of their sexuality? You are what you are. Now one can be proud of their prowess as a lover, but why be proud of being homo or hetero? It's like having a parade because you are proud of being tall or blonde or green eyed!

When you are oppressed by the rest of the world and told you need to be different there's a certain desire to stand up against the majority.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I think "pride" should probably be more replaced with "happy" or "not afraid to show it", Malana.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Ched & Ghost good points but why not just quietly go about it like the majority of others. Fight for equality in the courtroom, but keep having "pride" parades and you antagonize the opposition. Which in turns strengthens their resolve and instigates them to rally against the cause. Lull them into over confidence though apparent in action and then they fail to oppose the legal fight with enough force.

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
I can kind of see both sides of the discussion on gay pride parades. On the one hand, I think it's important to raise awareness that these people being persecuted. It's good to show they aren't going to give up trying to obtain the rights they deserve. However, I do think sometimes the parades can be counter-priductive. When people wear riduculous costumes to these events and don't act like they're taking the issue seriously, it gives the anti-gay crowd more reason to be hateful. I think there are definitely negative and positive aspects of the parades.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I suppose some narrow minded and old fashioned people believe that it's an abnormal thing to be homosexual because the majority of people back then were straight.
My own belief, which I'm certain many share, is that there's nothing wrong with homosexuality. You don't choose who you're attracted to, you just are! It's natural.

randomspot555

What you fail to see is, like many minority groups, gays and lesbians have evolved into their own CULTURE. It's a cultural celebration, not a political statement. Most pride parades are run by registered not-for-profits and aren't political at all and can't even endorse partisan political candidates.

2) Yes if gay people can/do parade their pride, then everyone should do the same. A hetero parade would look just as silly as a gay parade... don't the Japanese have a parade to honor sex? Or was it the Chinese? They march 10' long phallus's down the street if I remember the documentary correctly!

See #1. LGBT is just as much of a culture as it is anything else.

Ched & Ghost good points

Not really.

but why not just quietly go about it like the majority of others. Fight for equality in the courtroom,

Because courts are slow and inefficient, and then you get the GOP-Tea Partiers going "THE COURS ARE USURPING ARE POWER!!!"

but keep having "pride" parades and you antagonize the opposition.

The "opposition" is never going to support equality anyway, so who cares?

When people wear riduculous costumes to these events and don't act like they're taking the issue seriously, it gives the anti-gay crowd more reason to be hateful. I think there are definitely negative and positive aspects of the parades.

The anti-gay crowd are anti-gay. They aren't going to change.

And "ridiuculous costumes"? I'm guessing you're talking about the sexually revealing ones. I see it no different as any of the skimpy cheerleading outfits worn at many sporting events.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Calamity said:
I suppose some narrow minded and old fashioned people believe that it's an abnormal thing to be homosexual because the majority of people back then were straight.
They still are...?

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
(Sorry. On my phone and deleting sections of long posts to get the quote that I want is a pain.)
@Randomspot-
I don't necessarily think that every person who isn't pro-gay rights is going to always be that way. Are there going to be people who mindlessly hate gay people for (what I think are) silly reasons? Absolutely. However, the hate is typically based on ignorance and/or being conditioned to think that way. These things can be changed over time.

I also find your comparison to be a bit lacking. Yes, I did mean mostly the sexualized costumes are ridiculous. Admittedly, I think sexualized costumes in general are pretty silly. I also think cheerleaders at sporting events are pointless, but being a straight woman, I'm not exactly their target audience. Regardless, cheerleaders aren't an oppressed group fighting for equal rights. Arguably, they are a stereotyped group, but I've never seen parades formed by the Smart Cheerleaders Awareness Organization. ;P I digress... My point is that it's much harder for someone to take a person in a ridiculously gaudy costume rallying for equal rights seriously. I know some homosexuals agree with me on that. I just feel that those particular displays do more harm than good. In my opinion, embodying the negative stereotypes of the culture doesn't do their fight for equal rights any good.

Pinkle

I don't believe homosexuality is wrong at all. As long as your happy you should not be shunned for who you fall in love with. Myself, I am heterosexual (straight) and have members of my family who are homosexual, it doesn't mean I love them any different to how I love anyone else.

Treat someone how you would want to be treated. Because if it was you, you'd want people to be understanding.

Chris-kun

i still believe
Ched & Ghost good points but why not just quietly go about it like the majority of others. Fight for equality in the courtroom, but keep having "pride" parades and you antagonize the opposition. Which in turns strengthens their resolve and instigates them to rally against the cause. Lull them into over confidence though apparent in action and then they fail to oppose the legal fight with enough force.

Because that's how the women's lib movement and the civil rights movement got fought.

Oh wait

Status
Not open for further replies.