• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your best Double Battle strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connor™

Showstopper
Gengar using skill swap on a regigigas, giving it levitate and a crazy attack stat ^^
this also works with slaking, and then the beast is loose to sweep ^^

Rhys29

Encore
I have mine attack whichever one they are good against. Simple.

...Okay, well it seems as though you have a good grasp on how to play the game. Other than that, I see absolutely nothing here.

NOTE: A big shout out to all the Water Absorb+Surfers out there. You are almost assured that you are going to face a Discharge team, which will eat your team alive. The best thing I can suggest to you is to have a Lanturn with Volt Absorb either as a starter or somewhere in your team. This way, you have a wall that can just soak up Discharge after Discharge. Make sure it also has HP Ground so you can wipe out Mixvires and other Elec. types if it gets the chance. Some may argue it's just better to avoid Elec in general and throw in a Water/Ground. This would be good if it wasn't for all the Grass Knot'ers out there. Not to mention most Discharge teams have atleast one guy with HP Grass (usually Zapdos), which would OHKO most of these options.

Ima Penguin 95

Yes, skill swap can be amazing if you play it right. You should, however, switch Gengar for something more suitable for the role, such as Slowking or Bronzong. There's no point in wasting a move on a sweeper if you're going to make it Skill Swap and then switch out (plus it also may get wiped out right after it uses it, thus making walls far more effective with it). Note: Those of you trying to avoid Skill Swap on Slaking by teaming it with something such as Worry Seed, you will be dissappointed to know it does not work.

Last edited:

pokemaster001

Dude Fly is terrible.

LIES!!!!!!!!!!!
fly is great for double battles and some other times, plus fly gets you everywhere really fast with no annoying wild battles or wasting max repels

anyway, mine are numerous and I don't want anyone to battle me and predict my moves but I'll just say I start with infernape and leafeon

Larry

LIES!!!!!!!!!!!
fly is great for double battles and some other times, plus fly gets you everywhere really fast with no annoying wild battles or wasting max repels

anyway, mine are numerous and I don't want anyone to battle me and predict my moves but I'll just say I start with infernape and leafeon

Mabey in-game but in WiFi Surf and Waterfall are the only good HM moves.

Rhys29

Encore
LIES!!!!!!!!!!!

dude... you understand Togekiss already rips open a new ******* for your team and then rapes it, right? Anyone want anymore combos looked at? (referencing the Min Plus combo earlier)

Fly is NOT useful! I can't stress this enough. You would have to have a rediculously large advantage over the enemy in order to use this move. Let me show you with the earlier example of Empoleon and Staraptor.

A) 1st turn: Zapdos uses Discharge, kills Staraptor and lowers Empoleon, boosts Mixvire, who finishes Empoleon with either T-Bolt or Cross Chop.

B) Staraptor somehow survives and uses Fly. Empoleon will take a beating and odds are die. Before Staraptor comes down, 1) the target will be obvious so they will know which poke to switch and 2) Discharge teams have Magnezone very commonly, with a x4 resist to Flying. If they don't have Zone, they will simply switch to a poke who can take it as if nothing happened.

C) Vs a RD (Rain Dance), smart users of Rain Dance will have (prolly) a Vappy or other water types that can take Surf like your poke sneezed on them. And if they are a smart DBT, they will have Lanturn with Thunder. This will hit your Staraptor in mid-air, with a stab and SE, it's base power is 360. Good luck taking that and surviving.

DO NOT use either Fly or Dig, they are both useless and even more so in DB's.

Give Em' Hell Kid

~Fire Trainer~
Mines pretty basic, Im just a fire type trainer

I Use Castform and Magmortar first, I get Castform to use Sunny Day and then Get Magmortar to use substitue (equipped with Leftovers), Then Ill either use Solar beam (because we all know fires are water bait) or Thunderpuch / Lava plume depending on the situation

meanwhile ill have Castform performing as secondary attack, and if he Faints i Use My Shiny Ninetails, Which i use as a Physical sweeper or ill use my Charizard equipped with Life orb for major attacks

Rhys29

Encore
Mines pretty basic, Im just a fire type trainer

I Use Castform and Magmortar first, I get Castform to use Sunny Day and then Get Magmortar to use substitue (equipped with Leftovers), Then Ill either use Solar beam (because we all know fires are water bait) or Thunderpuch / Lava plume depending on the situation

meanwhile ill have Castform performing as secondary attack, and if he Faints i Use My Shiny Ninetails, Which i use as a Physical sweeper or ill use my Charizard equipped with Life orb for major attacks

Not too horrid, but at the same time Fire, unfortunately, has never really be a strong type. You, my friend, will get destroyed in any DBT league so early your head will spin. Water Absorb + Surf is spammed wayyyyy too much. However, you do have a different opportunity on your hands, for this is one of the few ways to ever combat a RD team. You will have to keep VERY close watch on your Sunny Day, for it will be vital to the survival to your team. Magmortar should probably have Thunderbolt since it has 20 more base damage and Magmortar has a much high SpA. Also if you are going to open with Magmortar and have Lava Plume, you might as well open with your Ninetails, have it use Sunny Day and give it the Flash Fire boost in the same turn. You should really only pull out or even use Castform if you are constantly having to deal with shifting weather patterns, since otherwise he can't give you the same strength most other Fire choice can give you.

There is one way I have found to deal with pesky water teams if you want to give this guy a shot. Either use Meganium or Tangrowth (stick with Tangrowth since you'll be wanting to sit through Surfs with him) normally to combat this and give them Sunny Day so you don't have to stick it on one of you more offensive poke's. If you want to wipe out the enemy in a OHKO, you CAN use a Sunflora with Solar Power and Choice Specs on. This way, you get a whopping 3.38x boost on all your Solar Beams for only 1/8 your health each turn, that's also 6.86x if you attack water types, and if the opposition just happens to had a Swampert out (tho I doubt it), you get a 13.72x boost on your Solar Beam (lol I want to see a Swampert survive that head on). However, this is usually a bad choice unless you can back it properly, since other than it's above average SpA, Sunflora blows. Tropius can do the same thing and last longer, but you won't be hitting as hard.

BadIntent

MSankey
DO NOT use either Fly or Dig, they are both useless and even more so in DB's.

They are not entirely useless. I've faced many an opponent who have used fly and dig as a way to avoid their partner's explosion or surf. It really doesn't matter who you chose to attack as you just (in the case of explosion) took out both of their pokemon anyway. Also it provides a turn of protection without completely wasting the turn for a speed booster w/baton pass. Granted, I don't use those moves, but they can still be effective.

As for my "best strategy", I open with Sableye and Gengar. Sableye uses fake out on the biggest threat to gengar. Gengar, possessing a brave nature and 3 IV in speed, uses trick room. Next turn, Gengar explodes and Sableye just finishes off whoever is left. It's almost guaranteed to go first with base 50 speed and a negative speed nature.

Rhys29

Encore
They are not entirely useless. I've faced many an opponent who have used fly and dig as a way to avoid their partner's explosion or surf. It really doesn't matter who you chose to attack as you just (in the case of explosion) took out both of their pokemon anyway. Also it provides a turn of protection without completely wasting the turn for a speed booster w/baton pass. Granted, I don't use those moves, but they can still be effective.

As for my "best strategy", I open with Sableye and Gengar. Sableye uses fake out on the biggest threat to gengar. Gengar, possessing a brave nature and 3 IV in speed, uses trick room. Next turn, Gengar explodes and Sableye just finishes off whoever is left. It's almost guaranteed to go first with base 50 speed and a negative speed nature.

You are better off using Protect or a Ghost type if you are going to use Explosion. Fly and Dig are too open in pro DB's. Dive, on the other hand, might actually be the only useful one. The best, if not only time, to use it is on the last turn off Trick Room, so you go first while it's up and then since speed normalizes, it attacks last, preventing hella damage. Not sure if anything can hit dive while it's active tho, and since the Pal Park transfer has you rid all HM moves, it's really hard to find someone with it.

I have to say I've always been a Sableye fan. This can work pretty well, tho other Trick Room teams will whipe the floor with you. You will have to match the opponents since a fast Double Attack could simply wipe out Gengar and leave Sableye high and dry. Also anything with a Priority move will frustrate you beyond belief, since it potentially cancel your entire strat. You MIGHT want to give Sableye Shadow Sneak just in case you face a slower poke or the Trick Room doesn't go through. You're going to have to find someone who would effectively cover all of Sableye's moves before I can truely rate this combo.

Last edited:

BadIntent

MSankey
Yes, other trick room teams do have an advantage over mine, but then again, trick room teams generally have an advantage over any team weilding semi-fast to fast pokemon. For the record, sableye has fake out, shadow claw, will-o-wisp, and brick break. Mostly just coverage moves, but I will take your suggestion of shadow sneak into consideration. Usually if my opponent's pokemon look TR bound however (ex. Slowbro partered with a Snorlax), I fake out the potential TR'er and just have Gengar explode off the bat.

zm_

I have learnt the best strategy is adaptability. I try and cover as many possible strategies as well as making sure the main part of my team stays safe.

I still say having a plan B in most teams in case something goes astray.

G-S-C Fanatic

o.O Shiny Gater
Even though I'm not really into the 4th Gen Battle Scene in 3rd Gen my best Double Battle Combo was Blissey and Slaking. Max out Blisseys Defense use Skill Swap with an Adamant Slaking and just stand back and watch everything fall.

zm_

I think you have forgotten what I call the theory of threats. What are people thinking is going to be more of a threat, the Slaking or the Blissey?

Which ever is the bigger threat will generally be attacked.d

BadIntent

MSankey
I think you have forgotten what I call the theory of threats. What are people thinking is going to be more of a threat, the Slaking or the Blissey?

Which ever is the bigger threat will generally be attacked.d

So true. A defensive wall paired with offensive powerhouse often just gets ignored. Slaking will be subject to double attacks while blissey just kinda sits there.

@G-S-C you might consider using a pokemon more offensively capable that can hold its own with Truant; this way you can make up for Slaking getting ganged up on by having Slaking protect after it's lost Truant and have the partner attack instead sometimes. Just to keep your opponent guessing.

Rhys29

Encore
Yes, other trick room teams do have an advantage over mine, but then again, trick room teams generally have an advantage over any team weilding semi-fast to fast pokemon. For the record, sableye has fake out, shadow claw, will-o-wisp, and brick break. Mostly just coverage moves, but I will take your suggestion of shadow sneak into consideration. Usually if my opponent's pokemon look TR bound however (ex. Slowbro partered with a Snorlax), I fake out the potential TR'er and just have Gengar explode off the bat.

Hmmm. Notice that if you were going up against either Slowbro or Lax, they would prolly survive the Explosion and get to kill your Sableye next turn. The one you should probably be Dusknoir. This way, if you really want, you can double burn your oppoenent with WOW, and you have a wall there supporting your Sableye. Definitely stick with Shadow Sneak, it's more versatile than Fake Out unless you plan on switch Sableye in and out of battle. If you keep that Shadow Sneak, you should stay ahead of the game. This is to say you have Keen Eye, if your ability is Stall, then you will always (unless foe has Priority or Item like lagging tail) first when Trick Room is up. Switch out Shadow Claw for Power Gem, since you will already have a stab Ghost and PG will give you really good coverage (if you're against something with Flashfire you're in trouble otherwise). If you are still up for breeding, you might want to look at incorperating Recover into that moveset, sinc you are using him for a staller, it would be invaluable. Now for your final slot (i do DBT's by 4 poke teams) i'd just suggest Spiritomb with similar moves to Sableye. If you want a tank of Spiritomb, give it Hypnosis, Pain Split, Dark Pulse, and either Confuse Ray/Torment/Tuant. If you want a more offensive choice, go with Curse, Faint Attack (always good to have one guy on your team that will always land a hit)/Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak/Shadow Ball, and Hypnosis. This way, you can have a pretty fair, Trick Room/Ghost combo. Not the most effective, but I doubt you'll see anyone else using something like this. Make sure that your Dusknoir has Trick Room too. Also, if you are rebreeding your Sableye (or you want the most effective stats) go with either Brave or Quiet Nature and 212 Att, 252 SpA, and 44 HP.

Last edited:

Rhys29

Encore
My double-earthquake combo. I pair up 2 pokemon which are both immune to ground-type attacks, teach both of them earthquake, and then just start some shake, rattle, and roll mayhem.

Whatch for Ice type attacks, for they will be what you're going to be worried about most. Just pack a Bronzong with you so you have a good Wall/Status/Levitater.

Boomguy

Whatch for Ice type attacks, for they will be what you're going to be worried about most. Just pack a Bronzong with you so you have a good Wall/Status/Levitater.

It doesn't mean ground types he means like Bronzong and Gyrados.

But using Non STAB moves are not strong unless there super effective or boosted attack power

Status
Not open for further replies.