• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your best Double Battle strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhys29

Encore
It doesn't mean ground types he means like Bronzong and Gyrados.

But using Non STAB moves are not strong unless there super effective or boosted attack power

I know, I'm saying most pokemon who fit into this category are either Flying (weak to ice) or Ground (weak to ice). Dragons also are known for this combo, so it's good to keep like I said a Bronzong, or like you said a Gyarados, handy just in case.

BadIntent

MSankey
Hmmm. Notice that if you were going up against either Slowbro or Lax, they would prolly survive the Explosion and get to kill your Sableye next turn. The one you should probably be Dusknoir. This way, if you really want, you can double burn your oppoenent with WOW, and you have a wall there supporting your Sableye. Definitely stick with Shadow Sneak, it's more versatile than Fake Out unless you plan on switch Sableye in and out of battle. If you keep that Shadow Sneak, you should stay ahead of the game. This is to say you have Keen Eye, if your ability is Stall, then you will always (unless foe has Priority or Item like lagging tail) first when Trick Room is up. Switch out Shadow Claw for Power Gem, since you will already have a stab Ghost and PG will give you really good coverage (if you're against something with Flashfire you're in trouble otherwise). If you are still up for breeding, you might want to look at incorperating Recover into that moveset, sinc you are using him for a staller, it would be invaluable. Now for your final slot (i do DBT's by 4 poke teams) i'd just suggest Spiritomb with similar moves to Sableye. If you want a tank of Spiritomb, give it Hypnosis, Pain Split, Dark Pulse, and either Confuse Ray/Torment/Tuant. If you want a more offensive choice, go with Curse, Faint Attack (always good to have one guy on your team that will always land a hit)/Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak/Shadow Ball, and Hypnosis. This way, you can have a pretty fair, Trick Room/Ghost combo. Not the most effective, but I doubt you'll see anyone else using something like this. Make sure that your Dusknoir has Trick Room too. Also, if you are rebreeding your Sableye (or you want the most effective stats) go with either Brave or Quiet Nature and 212 Att, 252 SpA, and 44 HP.

Well, thank you for the suggestions. I sincerely appreciate it.
A couple things though:
-Sableye's defensive (and offensive stats for that matter) are... bad. Adding power gem would require me to take EV's out of HP (which I have maxed out) and stick them into Sp Atk. Given it's base 50 HP, 75 Def and 65 Sp Def, that doesn't leave it as much of a staller anymore. Even with recover.
-I like the idea of opening with Dusknoir, but then it kinda gives away that I'm using TR. I rely heavily on the element of surprise, which is why I use Gengar who can be bred to be deceptively slow. Besides even if Snorlax and Slowbro did survive the Explosion, 'Bro will flinch from fake out and 'Lax won't have enough HP to belly drum or put out a sub. Fake Out is a staple for me because it insures (1) Gengar won't be doubled up on (2) My opponent can't set up their trick room if they are in fact slower.

Pretty good suggestion with Spiritomb, though hypnosis is unreliable. As for the second WoW, I have a Weezing in the reserves for that.

And yes, I agree; on paper this trick room team isn't the most effective. However, the appearance of Sableye may make opponents get greedy and stat up while falling into Gengar's TR. I think it should be stated that the remaining members of my team are all UU, but in a double battle, high stats can be more easily overcome by deceptiveness due to the multitude of options. My team wins most of it's battles mainly because none of my opponents can get a jump on it on the first turn. You'd have to be hard pressed to come up with an opener that is immune to Fake Out, Explosion, and Trick Room.

Deboog

Seribii Staff...rly!
Uggg. So many EQ + Levitate and Skill Swap -> Gigas.

The most pwnage stratagy ever is Smeargle endures an explosion from Lickilicky (It's less predictable, and Licky gets stabbed kabooms) and gets Salac boost. Then Weavile comes in a Fakes-Out the opponent while Smearlge spores the other. Then it's just Endeavor and Pursuit for the rest of the game.

It's Old School, but it owns.

Rhys29

Encore
Well, thank you for the suggestions. I sincerely appreciate it.
A couple things though:
-Sableye's defensive (and offensive stats for that matter) are... bad. Adding power gem would require me to take EV's out of HP (which I have maxed out) and stick them into Sp Atk. Given it's base 50 HP, 75 Def and 65 Sp Def, that doesn't leave it as much of a staller anymore. Even with recover.
-I like the idea of opening with Dusknoir, but then it kinda gives away that I'm using TR. I rely heavily on the element of surprise, which is why I use Gengar who can be bred to be deceptively slow. Besides even if Snorlax and Slowbro did survive the Explosion, 'Bro will flinch from fake out and 'Lax won't have enough HP to belly drum or put out a sub. Fake Out is a staple for me because it insures (1) Gengar won't be doubled up on (2) My opponent can't set up their trick room if they are in fact slower.

Pretty good suggestion with Spiritomb, though hypnosis is unreliable. As for the second WoW, I have a Weezing in the reserves for that.

And yes, I agree; on paper this trick room team isn't the most effective. However, the appearance of Sableye may make opponents get greedy and stat up while falling into Gengar's TR. I think it should be stated that the remaining members of my team are all UU, but in a double battle, high stats can be more easily overcome by deceptiveness due to the multitude of options. My team wins most of it's battles mainly because none of my opponents can get a jump on it on the first turn. You'd have to be hard pressed to come up with an opener that is immune to Fake Out, Explosion, and Trick Room.

I see your way of putting it. I was more on the idea you wanted Sableye to be a Mixhit. If you want a staller, there are other suggestions to be made. However, you are relying too much on predicting your opponent's predictability. Your combo will work pretty well in UU, but don't put all your cards into your opponent not finding your move set and blowing it. Btw, Dusknoir is common in double battles, and will rip your beginning strat a new one. That's why I suggest that you have Shadow Sneak on Sableye if you are going to keep him out against either Bulky Ghosts or Psychic. But unfortunately, he doesn't pack enough power to really get his job done, no offense. Also Fake Out has more limited uses since in DB's your job is to get the set team out that can wipe out the opposition. If you switch him out too much, your switch into'er may be looking at two attacks, so it's far more reliable to give him Shadow Sneak. He also gets a stab, so don't forget that. Spiritomb is Bulky enough to have Hypnosis miss once or twice, and a sleeping poke is almost guaranteed to switch. If you want to put more money on predicting your opponents, plug Pursuit into one of it's other move slots. This will help you get the jump on guys try to switch up for more def or off. I, personally, am very sad with the new physical and special attack switches when it comes to sad cases like Weezing. He has no moves, save for Gunk Shot, that he can get a stab with it's attack backing it. And Gunk Shot's acc. is anything but reliable. However, if you play the Bulky, Destiny Bond, Pain Split, WOW, Explosion Weezing you should be okay especially in this team.

Deboog ~

*sigh* yes, I am sad to say there are a couple techniques that are very simple and are spammed like crazy. Btw, for your combo, you might want to rethink it up to an extent. Priority moves are becoming more and more popular, and most teams carry a revenge killer and you might see Pursuit here or there, so if you are to use a combo dealing with Focus Band, Endure, and Low HP berries, you are going to have to be careful. There is also the chance that the opponent is going to see Smeargle and simply hit it twice on the first turn, making your strat null and void.

Last edited:

zm_

Well I think every strategy can be overcome one way or another generally on the opponents part.

For example:
For Skill swaps I either phaze out the skill swaped guy, or go all out against him.
Trick Rooms I generally pack my own slower pokes, two generally.
Weather Teams I try to pack my own poke to take advantage of it.

Has anyone watched some of the Youtube doubles battles, its really bad to watch some of the teams as they just eat themselves alive. Granted there have been some good battles here and there.

Also its nice to see that sleeping an opponent gets a mention.

edit: Hopefully I can start a doubles tournament soon (once the other tournament goes inactive) to gauge interest in a doubles league.

Last edited:

Rhys29

Encore
I actually discovered (I beleive) the fastest way to make a poke pretty much OHKO most poke's in a double battle with a very simple tactic (i'm sure this is going to get spammed at some point).

Simply have a Medicham and Marowak in play. The the Wak will obviously be equipped with Thick Club, doubling it's attack and making it a threat right away. Now, if you can play your cards right, open with a different set of poke's and have it use Trick Room and give Medicham Lagging Tail, that way you can just start sweeping. So right now, you have a base 45 speed poke in Trick Room with a capped attack of 568. Already good right there. Make Medicham use Skill Swap. This will give Wak Pure Power as his ability, doubling his attack. This gives him a grand total of 1136 attack without increasing his attack through buff moves (you can do that if you want to breathe on an enemy to break every bone in it's body, since it's attack absolutely capped is 4546 Att. Recockulous. Btw, if you want to know just how strong that is, I calculated how much an EQ from this guy would do to a Shuckle with capped Def [614]. It would deal roughly 865 damage). He can OHKO a Skarm with Fire Punch. Anything with a ground type weakness with be absolutely slaughtered by Earthquake (you should have switch Medicham out immediately after this with a slow levitator like Bronzong). Any Water poke's posing a threat will be destroyed by Thunderpunch, or you could change your coverage and wipe out other types with Stone Edge (more powerful, less accurate, covers about the same shiz).

Yeah, I know. Really really strong attacker. Now, there are a few things you gotta watch for.
1) Wak does NOT have a good way to protect himself from Special moves, since his SpD is megear at best and if Trick Room isn't up he's prey to special sweepers.
2) Priority moves may wittle him down and he doesn't have a solid amount of HP.
3) It takes a little bit to set up, so you may try to use it, but you might get shut down before you do.
With this in mind, if you DO use this combo, make sure you got back up guys who can use Trick Room and such effectively.

Another little strat for you out there who want to use Baton Pass more effectively. Medicham can learn Bulk Up and Calm Mind. Now this wouldn't be too useful of information unless you knew you can also breed into Baton Pass. If you give him Recover as well, you might actually have a chance of maxing out Att, Def, SpA, and SpD before Baton Passing to something that doesn't need the speed boost from Baton Pass. However, a single poke with Haze, Roar, or Whirlwind will stop this in it's tracks and Medicham isn't the best defender. If you can manage to keep him alive long enough (you're gonna want your other poke using moves such as Reflect and Light Screen to help out), you can pass to make an oncoming poke God.

Last edited:

firelovindocker

i just genarraly use my starmie and charizard
starmie to weaken then them
charizard to hit hit
seems simple and weak
you'd be suprised

Rhys29

Encore
i just genarraly use my starmie and charizard
starmie to weaken then them
charizard to hit hit
seems simple and weak
you'd be suprised

Don't know what you mean by 'weaken them' (probably meaning softening up the enemy with attacks, not defensive dropping moves), but it's alright as a speed team. Not the best protection, Discharge, once again, will eat both of your guys alive. And you are depriving Starmie of a STAB Surf. Luckily, both have good attack coverage, so you might do okay...

Rad3n

Banned
@ Deboog

you need a fast explosioner (preferably Azelf though in the past Electrode / Gengar).

barath

umm.. only a small one.. but could be quite handy..

a pokemon with swagger/flatter with a pokemon with own tempo ability

use that pokemon which has swagger/flatter on ur own teammate which has own tempo ability.. in this case.. only its attack/sp.att gets raised.. but no confusion will occur.

quite handy.. :)

JaimeGreenan

I use a risky strategy.
Crobat with Rhyperior so Electric doesn't harm Crobat because of LightningRod ability.
I kno a Blizzard could wipe it out.

Boomguy

I use a risky strategy.
Crobat with Rhyperior so Electric doesn't harm Crobat because of LightningRod ability.

Yeah once you see an Ice team your screwed, I'd say Discharge is more popular than single targeted moves but you usually can tell if thier gonna use discharge for e.g. Rotom and Jolteon or Lanturn

Tell me guys if you do this, Using Surf when your teamate is a grass type, or using Discharge when your team mate is a Grass type, or using Lava Plume on a water/rock type team mate

Last edited:

Yoshifan22

not a fan?
Flygon- Jolly@ choice band
252 atk/ 252 speed/ 6 hp
- earthquake, dragon claw, stone edge, crunch

Zapdos- timid@ choice specs
252 sp.ark/ 252 speed/ 6 hp
- discharge, heat wave, Hidden Power [ice], u-turn

* simply let them sweep with a, ussually, EQ + Discharge. They bring in a flying to take the eq, get discharged. someone brings in a ground to take the discharge, and they get eq'd. This combo can be done with several diffrent pokemon, but these 2 ( it used to be garchomp instead of flygon, but it got banned, and ehh )

Boomguy

I like My Pinsir, Charizard Start

EQ on Pinsir to hit those Leviating oppoenants and Charizard to Heat Wave, but yeah those Zapdos, Chomp or Flygon is more annoying and i've only seen 1 good youtube video that prevents those starts Yoshi

Yoshifan22

not a fan?
Yea, I havn't really tested it out, but a charizard heat waving would work as well...

zm_

That was a good Video Boom but its rather impractical to do that on Wi-Fi as its hard to get a person into a free level battle.

Boomguy

That was a good Video Boom but its rather impractical to do that on Wi-Fi as its hard to get a person into a free level battle.

yes i just realized that its impossible to copy the exact thing on wifi but it gives a good idea

Rhys29

Encore
Flygon- Jolly@ choice band
252 atk/ 252 speed/ 6 hp
- earthquake, dragon claw, stone edge, crunch

Zapdos- timid@ choice specs
252 sp.ark/ 252 speed/ 6 hp
- discharge, heat wave, Hidden Power [ice], u-turn

* simply let them sweep with a, ussually, EQ + Discharge. They bring in a flying to take the eq, get discharged. someone brings in a ground to take the discharge, and they get eq'd. This combo can be done with several diffrent pokemon, but these 2 ( it used to be garchomp instead of flygon, but it got banned, and ehh )

Really Ice weak, so you are going to have to watch for Lapras and any other poke who can use Blizzard, since odds are it will take your Flygon out and take a huge chunk out of your Zapdos. Choice sets for starters work, but there is always the chance of being shut down, so make sure you got a good back up for each of your guys incase one goes.

I use a risky strategy.

I am glad to see people now looking at their common weakness. Also note that Crobat doesn't have a lot of SpD, so a STAB Surf might crush him as well. I know Lightning Rod is a very tempting ability to have on Rhyperior, but Grass Knot and Surf are rediculously common, so the only way he can really survive is to switch in at the right time. Crobat I have to say can work well with a number of other pokes as a speedy set up. Either they can deal a solid hit with Brave Bird (as long as you bread it in) to set up for another move to finish it off. They can also learn Hypnosis and are rediculously fast, so that helps. I don't know if you want, but a good idea might be to give him Giga Drain as well. His SpA is nothing that the enemy will worry about, however Crobat's defensive abilities will not stand the test of time. Seeing as there are a lot of Earthquakers (rock and ground types are almost guaranteed) and Surfers, it is a good back up and surprise attack in my opinion.

~ Boomguy

Your team is very Rock weak, watch for that. Make sure you got Pinser with a Fighting move (i know you're smart enough to have one, just letting others know) so you can take out the occasional Probopass and other Rock threats without any real challenge. A Charizard Heat Wave works, but if you are playing WiFi, stick with Moltres for the far superior SpA. Otherwise stick with a mixed Charizard and you're fine.

Last edited:

Boomguy

~ Boomguy

Your team is very Rock weak, watch for that. Make sure you got Pinser with a Fighting move (i know you're smart enough to have one, just letting others know) so you can take out the occasional Probopass and other Rock threats without any real challenge. A Charizard Heat Wave works, but if you are playing WiFi, stick with Moltres for the far superior SpA. Otherwise stick with a mixed Charizard and you're fine.

I know what i'm doing Pinsir has choice Scarf so it can outrun anything and I'd prefer Charizard because it knows Dragon moves unlike Moltres and Charizard has superior speed than Moltres to. I usually gang up on my threats

chimkong

I use one physical and one special sweeper of different types and type coverage (e.g. Salamence and Mimagius).......Or i use a sweeper and a stat-booster slow pkmn (e.g. Infernape and Slobro)......

Status
Not open for further replies.