• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your favorite feature of the Gen IV games?

What is your favorite feature of Sinnoh?

• Distortion World

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Battle Frontier (Tower in DP)

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Battle Ground

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Resort House

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Poketch

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Sinnoh Underground

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Super Contests

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Great Marsh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Amity Square

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
So what is your favorite feature of Sinnoh games and why? [See poll for examples]
Mine is Distortion World because it's design is fantastic and the perfect home for Giratina.

So what is your favorite feature of HGSS and why? [Examples: Kanto post game, Pokeathlon, Headbutting Trees, Walking Pokemon, etc]
Mine is Kanto post game because going to a second region is cool and fun to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquarelle

Staff member
I decided to merge the two threads into a general Gen IV thread since we don't really need separate ones for DPPt and HGSS.
Unfortunately, I could only keep one of the polls, though I've added some of the options from the HGSS poll to the OP.

My answers:
DPPt: I could say "everything", but I went with the Underground as I loved going down there to get rare items.
HGSS: I will go with the Pokeathlon as I found some of the mini games really fun.

Last edited:

Kalosian

So long
Deciding on a favorite feature is never easy. But I will give it a try.

From D/P/P, my top favorites are probably the Battle Frontier and the Underground. The Battle Frontier because I like battling in Battle Facilities, and this was different from the Emerald Battle Frontier in a positive way. It was enjoyable and challenging without getting too frustrating (apart from the Factory, but that's for a different discussion). I liked the Underground because it combined many things, exploring it while looking for treasures and traps was really fun. Would probably have been even more fun if I had been able to play it together with another real-life person, but I still enjoyed it for what it was on my own. Apart from these two, I am really fond of the Battleground as well. Gym Leader rematches are usually great and this feature has a great albeit not perfect execution of them. The Distortion World was also cool, but since it didn't have that much to do once you were done there, it isn't my top favorite.

From HG/SS, my favorite feature is definitely the Dowsing Machine. I found it very useful for finding hidden items throughout the regions and I pretty much always used it while playing through and exploring the games. I'm not very fond of most other features from HG/SS but this is one I really liked so I'm going with it.

Pikachu979

Sinnoh Champion
I wish there was a everything option cause i love all these features but i went with the battleground since its always nice to rematch people and see what new pokemon they caught.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
In Sinnoh, I especially liked the Battle Frontier, since I love battle facilities and their gimmicks. However, the Distortion World was also awesome with all the bizarre scenery, the Battleground is great for earning money and raising Pokemon, and some of the Poketch apps are helpful, especially the Day-Care checker.
In HG/SS, I liked the Headbutt trees, since,unlike with the Honey trees, you don't have to wait. Pokeathlon is also a fun minigame, but the Skill Course is pretty challenging.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I thought Gen 4 as a whole had the best features of the whole franchise's core games hee hee. My favourite was the Sinnoh underground cuz we could mine for spheres, find treasures and also race our friends via wireless. :3

arceus03

DPPt: the Poketch. Well, the dowsing machine, specifically. That's the app I usually have on most of the time. And also the Resort House, for Platinum. Getting to buy all the furniture was fun.

HGSS: that you can run without having to press B. And the Pokegear rematches. Unlimited Protein stock ftw :p

And in both versions, rematches with gym leaders/certain NPCs after the main ending.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I kind of like them all, but my main favorite was the Super Contests because of the dress-up round and dancing segment, which made them stand apart from R/S/E's Contests.

In Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, it would be the Poketch. That was a neat concept in those games.

Heartgold/Soulsilver, not sure if this really counts, but going to Kanto in the post-game. It was fun to have an entire second region to explore.

Pikachu979

Sinnoh Champion
I thought Gen 4 as a whole had the best features of the whole franchise's core games hee hee. My favourite was the Sinnoh underground cuz we could mine for spheres, find treasures and also race our friends via wireless. :3

Same here i feel the Gen 4 features were the best imo. I also love the underground. Since my neighborhood at the time were really into the gen 4 games we all would set traps and take each others flags

Aquarelle

Staff member
From HG/SS, my favorite feature is definitely the Dowsing Machine. I found it very useful for finding hidden items throughout the regions and I pretty much always used it while playing through and exploring the games.
Can't believe I forgot all about this! The Dowsing Machine is definitely one of my favourite items in HGSS. I didn't use the Dowsing Machine/Itemfinder that often in previous games, but I found the HGSS version much more convenient to use. I didn't realize how useful it was until late in my HeartGold playthrough, so I still probably have a lot of hidden items to find on that game, but I used it during my latest SoulSilver run a lot. Using it also encouraged me to use the Dowsing Machine all the time on my Gen V and VI games, too.

Oh, I've also always loved seeing the text "Dowsing MCHN".

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
For me, it had to be the Pokétch. It was the most convenient feature of Gen IV because it allowed me to keep track of approximate steps required to hatch Eggs, keep track of EVs when EV training and the roaming legendaries.

QueenUnfezant

welcome to the comedy zone
My top feature was the Super Contests because they were infuriating because they were great fun. I had these "PokeContest: Help, I Need Advice" series skits in my head while I was doing the contests.

hai guize derp

Kennith

Banned
Distortion World because it's design is amazing and good graphics.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Distortion world is great, I love the mechanics there. I'm not a fan of every Sinnoh invention, I absolutely despise Sinnoh's Game Corner, which seems more like just blindly following Clefairy rather than actually relying on any sort of skill or challenge, it feels like a mindless grind. I'm also not a fan of the super contests, only four rounds feels a bit too short, and the move mechanics are just not as good as in Hoenn. No nervousness or startling, no combo's, too much reliance on luck in which judges to pick, and using moves that match the theme (Cool, Beauty, Cute, Smart, or Toughness) of the contest just isn't rewarding enough, as you only benefit when you get max voltage.

ItsMeBrandon

I know I risk getting into arguments, but as much as I liked the Distortion World, it's a single story-based area that you never go through again. In other words, if I'm looking for my favorite feature from Sinnoh, it's something that I can go back to multiple times, and for a good reason.

My favorite Sinnoh-based feature has to be the Pokétch. It's a good starting point that Game Freak/the Pokémon Company went for in using the touch screen, and it's honestly got some pretty useful, er, apps. The type effectiveness chart is useful for learning/remembering type matchups, the counters were neat for certain things like hatching Eggs, the Dowsing Machine is at its absolute best here because of its incredible convenience, there are the maps to remind you of certain places to go to... I think I'm making my point fairly clear.

Bananarama

The light is coming
My favorite feature in the Gen IV games is definitely the Sinnoh Underground. I liked digging for the different items and using the traps. I especially liked finding fossils.