• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your favorite Johto Starter of HGSS?

Favorite Johto Starter of HGSS

• Chikorita

Votes: 20 16.4%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 48 39.3%
  • Totodile

Votes: 54 44.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Basically a thread of people's favorite Johto starter. What is your favorite Johto starter and why?

Mine is Totodile because it has less weaknesses and it looks awesome fully evolved. Second favorite is Cyndaquil because it can have Eruption which is powerful.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I've always liked Cyndaquil the most since it was the cutest member of the Johto Starters, though Chikorita was appealing to me as well. I don't like Chikorita's evolved forms though.

grey wing

Johto League Champ
I <3 Totodile. It was the first starter I ever picked (my first game was Yellow, so I got all the starters). It was so long ago now that I honestly can't remember why I chose it over the others, but regardless, it and Feraligatr are still special for me. To this day I still put a Feraligatr on my team whenever I can.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Chikorita for me--it's just so adorable! It also helps that Chikorita was my first starter of the second generation and I've just grown so fond of it over the years. Don't get me wrong, all of the Johto starters are cool, but Chikorita takes the cake for me.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Really liked Cyndaquil. Its adorable and its cry in the anime is simply cute!! I actually love its evolutions as well.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Totodile>Cyndaquil>Chikorita.
Totodile is pretty useful since the introduction of Physical/Special split.It has a pretty versatile movepool,also,Croconaw evolves earlier than Quilava and Bayleef.
Next is Cyndaquil,because it can learn Eruption and is quick.I also love Quilava's design.
I don't really like Chikorita because of its lack of coverage moves and low attacking stats.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'm stuck between Totodile and Cyndaquil but I liked Totodile better because it looked cooler.

Kalosian

So long
Cyndaquil for me. I like its design the best and I found it to be very useful throughout the game in both G/S/C and HG/SS. Being one of the better Fire-types available, and one of the most interesting Fire-types helps it a lot.
Totodile used to be my favorite when I was a kid, but now it is only my second favorite. It is quite good too, but not on the same level as Cyndaquil in my eyes. I have some good memories using it in G/S/C though.
Chikorita is literally my least favorite out of all starters that exist. I used it once when I played through Crystal for the first time and it was a nightmare as it struggled to win in almost every single important battle, the only exception I can remember was, ironically, against Whitney where it smashed her fairy and cow to pieces. Though, Chikorita is pretty cute and Meganium has some uses in the Battle Factory, so I'll give them that.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I'm a big Cyndaquil fan! I've always had a soft spot for it because I started with it on Gold, and my Gold Typhlosion's one of the most memorable Pokemon I've ever had since it won so many battles for me. I chose Cyndaquil on my HeartGold in honour of my first Cyndaquil. My HG Typhlosion is one of the best Pokemon I have on that game.
Also, I think Cyndaquil's just super cute.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I couldn't vote for Totodile since to me it's always been disappointing in terms of design. I used one in several HG/SS save files and yet I usually ended up replacing it with another Water-type eventually.

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
I always picked Cyndaquil. I loved it's design, and Quilava was my favorite Pokemon then.

Golemite

I usually end up picking up Chikorita if I want to have a good Grass Type in my party, since Meganium is one of the better Grass Types in the game, while there are many other good Fire and Water Types to choose from even if you didn't pick one at start. Anywho, my favorite is Totodile. I guess I like Tyranitar the most out of the fully evolved forms, but out of those little ones Totodile is clearly my favorite because of its appearance. It's also so sympathetic in the anime! :D

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It's a tie between Totodile and Cyndaquil. I often switch which one I use on different runs.
I've honestly never used Chikorita past Azalea. Not that I don't like it, the two gyms are effective against her and Silver's team is annoying too after the second badge.

Wazaz

Lapras trainer
I chose chikorita because it made my nuzlocke for HGSS just a bit harder and also died for me kill the champion. To this day I love it to death.

AJ-

I always thought Totodile was one of the coolest looking starter lines, next to maybe the Torchic or Charmander lines.

SpoinkyPearl

Totodile, because Feraligatr is one of my top favourite Pokémon. If I had to choose based on just first forms I couldn't choose because I love all of them. Other two are good as well, but I think Feraligatr has the most vast movepool and it is just awesome.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
When I played through Silver and SS, I picked Totodile because I have a frequent tendency to pick Water starters. Recently, I've become divided into who I liked the best, though. Maybe it's because they all have this unique balance in being pure-typed starters, and I've grown to like them. Typhlosion has begun to appeal to me in a strange way, probably because I never payed much attention to it as a Fire starter compared to the others. I've appreciated Meganium for its healing powers. I did become less interested in Feraligatr although it was my first choice. I still voted Totodile in the end

keepitsimple

site of lies
Totodile and Cyndaquil equally. Their evo lines have the superior designs. Don't like Chikorita or Bayleef. Meganium looks fine but I'd still take Typhlosion or Feraligatr over him.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I guess I'm one of the few people who likes Chikorita the most ha ha. I like grass types and feminine pokemon so that's prolly why I'm a fan of Chikorita.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
The majority of the time with Jhoto I would tell you Totodile, but sometimes I'm pretty divided. It was my favorite generation, starters and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.