• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your favorite Johto Starter of HGSS?

Favorite Johto Starter of HGSS

• Chikorita

Votes: 20 16.4%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 48 39.3%
  • Totodile

Votes: 54 44.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Meganium, served as a good support for the team in times of crisis (Whitney, E4, Red)

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Meganium, served as a good support for the team in times of crisis (Whitney, E4, Red)

I have a Meganium on SoulSilver, fully evolved from my starter Chikorita. He's easily one of the most-used members of my team, not least because he packs Earthquake to take on Electrics and Fires. ;154;

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
It's been a while since I've used Meganium (maybe I'll use it in my next SS playthrough), but I really love Chikorita. I've grown to appreciate Chikorita more over the years and think that it's extremely cute (probably the cutest starter Pokemon for me, even). It's also the only Johto starter I have a plush of.

Cyndaquil's still my #1 Johto starter, but Chikorita is a close second.

CrimsonAce777

Had to pick cyndaquil, as a kid, it was the obvious choice to me. I did end up picking totodile on gold, and chika on crystal, but cyndaquil takes it for me. It was one of those moments where you saw it and just knew. I know technically Totodile's line is the most competitively useful due to base stats/movepool/dragon dance, but as a kid, my starter always got all my vitamins, and we didn't care about base stat totals or movepools. (Although typhlo can learn thunderpunch, I always ate my rivals feraligatr for lunch with that move since typhlo outspeeds.) so it always had enough attack to one shot with thunderpunch. It was also the second mon I ever got to level 100, right after Pikachu in yellow. So many memories are flooding back, like taking on red with only Typhlo... ahhh. The rereleases on virtual console
Need to hurry up and get here! XD

Jasmin

Mine is Cyndaquil. Pokemon Gold was my very first Pokemon game, and i picked Cyndaquil, so it will always be my favourite starter. :-D
Yesterday I started a new file on my Heart Gold, because I wanted to hunt for a Shiny Cyndaquil with soft reseting. After ONLY 253 soft resets I ended up with a Shiny Totodile. :-D

Leonhart

Imagineer

Is Meganium really good against the Four Heavenly Kings (Elite 4), though? I'd imagine that it'd be kind of pointless to use against Kyou (Koga) and Wataru (Lance) since the former uses Poison-types, while the latter has many Pokemon that are half Flying-type.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Definitely Totodile because let's face it, Chikorita was awful and Cyndaquil was too easy to use. At least Totodile was a nice middle-ground in HGSS.

Steven of Venus

From Another Planet
Chikorita, for extravagant love for Ash, and playtime, always liking to have a good, fun, jolly time, really entertaining, being goofy and silly, elongated around its neck when it evolves, and even belonging to the electric girl Casey. So it shows passion and enthusiasm, a big jump or a wild Frenzy Plant!

Daizy

I call you honey
Chikorita but only as far as design goes. I never liked using one in G/S/C since most Gyms are a living hell for Chikorita and its evolved forms.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Chikorita but only as far as design goes. I never liked using one in G/S/C since most Gyms are a living hell for Chikorita and its evolved forms.

I think Chikorita is the most underrated Johto starter. I chose her in SoulSilver (actually male), and she's now a powerful Meganium. ;152; ;153; ;154;

Manchee

extra toasty
Totodile by far! All three are super cute and have great final forms, but Totodile became my favorite after I used one on a playthrough of SoulSilver. I never evolved it, which was a little too difficult in the end, but once I traded a Totodile to Y and used it as my starter, I really had a fun time training it all the way up to a Feraligatr, who has become on of my favorite Pokémon I've ever trained.

gofishyfish

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cindaquill. It was my first starter Pokemon ever (I started playing the main series games later with hgss) and I thought Cindaquill was absolutely adorable. So, I have a soft spot in my heat for it. Plus, Typhosion was my first Pokemon to ever hit level 100, and I thought it looked so bada** (still kinda think it does too). So yeah, Cindaquill for sure.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Is Meganium really good against the Four Heavenly Kings (Elite 4), though? I'd imagine that it'd be kind of pointless to use against Kyou (Koga) and Wataru (Lance) since the former uses Poison-types, while the latter has many Pokemon that are half Flying-type.

Depends on your team really. Meganium alone is a tough sell though.

Status
Not open for further replies.