• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your favorite/least favorite thing about the Physical/Special split?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leon25270

<- Zap Cannon Espeon
That's what I hate the most, but know I train Pokemon so they can be used in either R/S/E or D/P/Pt

Personally, I don't mind having to switch between two mindsets when planning for teams. It gives me more reason to play the games.

And yes, Shadow Ball makes more sense now.

Unfortunately, some Pokemon lost the Elemental Punches... (Mourns for his Gardevoir)

And I'm also writing a series of short stories centering on Hoenn's Battle Frontier. Imagine all the confusion that the Physical/Special Split would make, especially if you're writing about a battle between some random Pokemon and a Blastoise with both Mirror Coat and Counter! It would also be hard to write about certain Frontier Brains like Anabel. (Yes, a fanfic writer's point of view...)

SilverMorty

I liked how pokemon like Kingler, Hitmonchan and Gyarados could finally use their good stats effectively

A bit saddened by pokemon like Alakazam and Gengar losing their huge movepool but it did give other pokemon a chance to shine (Although I miss Hypno getting the punches, worked well in my FR). Also Flareon losing a physical Shadow Ball :(

On the same track saddened Sceptile couldn't use Leaf Blade, Crunch and Dragon Claw with it's good Special stat though. Also a bit saddened most of Bulbasaur lines natural moves are physical.

Illusione-Tempus

I really like the split! It makes me not dizzy about looking for the attacks that are Special and Attack!

Like back at those good old days at Ruby and Sapphire (yeah, late starter), I was confused because the opponent has stactic so I start thinking which could get in contact and which doesn't. At first I thought "Bite eats our foe, I better don't use it. Ah here we go, Hyper beam!" but turns out to be paralyzed too...

(I hate non-spliting!)

Cuthrout

i think my favourite part is that it made things very calculative, and because of it it made some pokemon better but some worse which was a lil problem. but even still i like it

Cappuccino

I really like the split! It makes me not dizzy about looking for the attacks that are Special and Attack!

Like back at those good old days at Ruby and Sapphire (yeah, late starter), I was confused because the opponent has stactic so I start thinking which could get in contact and which doesn't. At first I thought "Bite eats our foe, I better don't use it. Ah here we go, Hyper beam!" but turns out to be paralyzed too...

(I hate non-spliting!)

Um... You must be mistaken there. Static wouldn't paralyze someone who used Hyper Beam even back in the 3rd gen. Physical/Special isn't the same with moves that make contact or not. And it still is the same way after the split, Earthquake is a physical move but it still doesn't make contact. And back in 3rd gen, the elemental punches were Special but they made contact, so if you used them on a Carvanha you'd get damage from Rough Skin.

I mostly like the split. I wasn't competitively battling in RSE/FRLG so I didn't lose anything important.

It also helps to make strategic movesets (Dragon types don't resist 4/7 special types now).

Can't really think of anything bad.

ChloboShoka

Writer
The split was great cause the sp atck and sp defence didn't make sense to me at first, but it makes a lot more sence now. The attacks makes more sense, too. YAY! XD The downside is as what others have said some of the attacks seemed to have lost thier charm a bit. But it's all cool.

MKFC

Shade of Blue
Good: Everything but what's in bad
Bad: All my awesome physical Ghost-types (Shedinja especially) no longer have Shadow Ball

mutantmango

A Rampaging Luvdisc
The Physical/Special split was a great move, and has helped me a lot.

However, Hidden Power is still annoying, as it is primarily only used with Special Attackers. Maybe I want my Aerodactyl to have a physical Psychic move? I wish they could have "Hidden Power Psychic 70 PHYSICAL/SPECIAL". Or would that make things a bit complex?

A lot of Pokemon are truly useful with STAB now.
Others, like Alakazam and Sceptile, are weakened-those elemental punches and Leaf Blade are sorely missed, especially with Leaf Blade's increased power. Pokemon like Blaziken can be more useful with their attacks, using the higher of their offensive capabilities.

COKTAL

<-Newest Shiny!!!
I'm on both sides. It helped alot of pokemon out in being able to use their strong stats more effectively, but it makes it somewhat harder to make good walls. For instance, in R/S/FR/LG/E you would know what types are super-effective and you could increase that defense more knowing which one it would go against. Now they could use a type move that can be either Normal Attack or Special.

pokemaster001

Good: makes more sense, and has more variety
Bad: all the people complaining/being happy about the Punches, shadow ball, Gengar, Alakazam, and Hitmonchan, usually some in the same post

Poluxi

Pokemon Collector
I like it because it creates a really nice variety in moves
so most people aren't attacking each other with the same move (most of the time lol)

GreenNinja

Treasure Hunter
well it opened up hyper beam for some pokemon, such as alakazam. plus some moves being special didnt make sence like dragon claw, clearly its physical same with fire funch. and aura sphere coming from attack stat when its based on mystical(aura) energy? i think it makes sence to be honest.

at first i didnt like it, but now if anything i think it made things simpler when selecting move sets. though i will say some types move pools are a bit one sided, but i do wonder when they decided to make this change, seems a bit last minute to me.

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian
The balance of power has been realigned. We know get to see much more variety in pokemon, move sets and strategies. Some of my favorite pokemon has been considerably powered up (Gligar and Sneasel) while others have been rightfully dropped from their high horse (Elemental Punch Alakazam and Shadow Ball Gengar)

pokemaster001

Status
Not open for further replies.