• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your favorite/least favorite thing about the Physical/Special split?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian
<___<

Just because two people cite the same example does not imply that they are unoriginal...

kryptonite krunch

The Poisonous Ninja
Moves like calm mind and nasty plot actually make a difference. Before, I found it completey useless to use moves that boost your EVs. Well, if you had well trained pokemon, which I always had, then it felt really useless. But, now, you pretty much need to use dragon dance, calm mind etc. etc. if you want to suceed.

The spilit definitly made movesets make more sense.

swampert55

It made a few UU/NU Pokemon like Aggron and Beautifly slightly better, but it also overpowered OUs like Tyranitar.

Moo66

It just makes everything make sense to me. I hated having to remember what types did physical or special. Now I just have to think about what the move does. Like when something says beam or ball I think of special.

themonsteroftheisland

Pros: The moves FINALLY make sense, all pokemon now have potentially viable STAB attacks, a lot more flexibility all around

Cons: Some fun toys were blunted, like physical Hidden Powers, Charizard's Outrage, Shadow Ball being changed from physical.

Ah well, nothing is perfect, and not too many pokemon were overall hurt by this swap. Note: Leaf-blade got a power boost, from 70 to 90, which corresponds with the 20 point disparity between Sceptile's Special Attack and Attack. Also note that Energy Ball, while lacking the critical hit chance, does have a chance to lower special defense AND has a 10 point boost on the original Leaf Blade.

So Sceptile's attacking options have slightly changed, but there aren't as many downsides to leaf blade's defection as some people seem to think.

Firehawk10590

Never lost a randbat
Pros: The moves FINALLY make sense, all pokemon now have potentially viable STAB attacks, a lot more flexibility all around

Cons: Some fun toys were blunted, like physical Hidden Powers, Charizard's Outrage, Shadow Ball being changed from physical.

Ah well, nothing is perfect, and not too many pokemon were overall hurt by this swap. Note: Leaf-blade got a power boost, from 70 to 90, which corresponds with the 20 point disparity between Sceptile's Special Attack and Attack. Also note that Energy Ball, while lacking the critical hit chance, does have a chance to lower special defense AND has a 10 point boost on the original Leaf Blade.

So Sceptile's attacking options have slightly changed, but there aren't as many downsides to leaf blade's defection as some people seem to think.
About Leaf Blade: A Physical Sceptile set is now viable, due to Swords Dance and a good physical movepool (Leaf Blade, Dragon Claw, Earthquake).

FliCe

<-- 2806 Soft Resets
I dont mind the difference between atk. and sp.atk. Its more the def. and sp.def. that bothers me. Its hard to find a pokemon with good spatk or atk + good defence and special defence. Basicly, pokemon with good spdef+def always have a crappy stat like speed or spatk/atk.

pokemaster001

<___<

Just because two people cite the same example does not imply that they are unoriginal...
look at my first post, before the posts, there were already like 10 people talking about it and I hate repetitive threads

Witch of 'Cos

i love the pee pees
My favourite thing about it is some pokemon were finally able to use their STABs. Such as Gyarados, Salamence and Gengar.

It just makes everything make sense to me. I hated having to remember what types did physical or special. Now I just have to think about what the move does. Like when something says beam or ball I think of special.
Minor nitpick I know...buuut....Gyro Ball.

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian
I toss a giant steel ball in your face....
That is pretty physical...

They seemed to use some physics here.
The faster an object moves, the more momentum it carries...
So when the fast object collides with another... the momentum gets instantky canceled out and the resulting force affects the object

In Pokemon's case... damage...

My favorite thing is that the game is more realistic. I don't really have a least favorite though.

Trainer Emily

Fairies do exist!!!
The good thing about it...
It makes the game having more sense, like shadow ball & hyper beam turning special and crunch & the elemental punches physical.

And it also made 2 good HMs, as opposed to only Surf as the only good HM. Now there's Waterfall for the physical attackers.

It also makes certain pokemon more versatile (i.e. Physical-type/Physical-type Pokemon with higher special attack & Special-type/Special-type Pokemon with higher attack, like the Poison/Ghost Gengar & Ice/Dark Sneasel AKA Weavile).

Not much for the disadvantages, except that it completely eliminated any 100%-accurate Physical Rock-type attacks, like Ancientpower turning special...and the new Power Gem is also Special.

I'm indecicive about the split, because they have some pokemon who are physical types, but alot of a of the moves of its type arn't physical, or vice versa. [Like Flareon, who is a physical Fire type, and the only physical fire type move it can learn is fire fang].

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
First off, let me say I LUV THE PHYSICAL/SPECIAL SPLIT!!!....*cough* um, excuse that. Anyways, to give actual reasons as to why...

Good:
1.) Attacks make sense.
.....For example, Hyper Beam is...well, a beam that is hyper. So, why was the attack based on physical attack stats?? Sure, some loved that little fact (Gyarados) but it still made no sense. Now, a game about fantasy has logic....which I'm sure is good...
2.) Some Pokemon get to utilize their great stats.
.....Gyarados is my favorite Water~type. In R/B/Y, he was a force to be reckoned with. BUT in G/S/C, his Special Attack stat went way down. Water attacks were not his forte any longer. With the Physical/Special split, Gyarados has a chance at using some quality Water attacks again. Hitmonchan is smiling too.
3.) Strategy gets more strategic.
.....Basically, battles feel like actual battles.

Bad
1.) Some Pokemon lose what made them special.
.....Sceptile wants his Leaf Blade back. Leafeon refuses to give it back. Not to mention all the ghosts that lost their poor Shadow Balls.
2.)...um.........uh........that's really it.

Last edited:

Shadow chaser

Holla Front!
Pursuit is now physical yes! And finally there's a good and decent attack for grass types(Energy ball) and the invention of nasty plot.

Bad things? Alakazam loosing his punches!

Jetx

hooray, it's Jetx!
Bad
1.) Some Pokemon lose what made them special.
.....Sceptile wants his Leaf Blade back. Leafeon refuses to give it back. Not to mention all the ghosts that their misplaced Shadow Balls.
actually the base power of Leaf Blade increased by 20, so it's just as powerful on Sceptile as it was on the 3rd gen games.

Status
Not open for further replies.