• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your favorite/least favorite thing about the Physical/Special split?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the split is a pretty good idea, but I think they categorized them strangely. I had no idea Flame Wheel would be a physical attack, for example, but it is.

Gin_no_Soyokaze

Steel Type Trainer
The physical/special split threw off most of my strategies from the third generation because I create mostly defensive teams. >.<
For example, my Skarmory, which used to laugh at anything but fire/electric attacks, now had to worry about the special attacks ,such as aura sphere, which would now do unbelievable amounts of damage. Which, in turn, caused me to raise more offense-based Pogeymanz.
At least now, Pokemon that used to have half physical, half special dual types can exploit the STAB advantage on both types (Like Blaziken, Venusaur, ect.)

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I think the split is a pretty good idea, but I think they categorized them strangely. I had no idea Flame
Wheel would be a physical attack, for example, but it is.

Flame Wheel is physical because like in the anime, a Pokemon surrounds itself in fire, and runs into the foe. Thats how Flame Wheel is physical.

Cynthia

Hiatus
My least favorite thing, lack of a physical version of Hidden Power.

I also miss physical Sludge Bomb

LeoP2008

Trainer/Coordinator
i think what LeoP2008 is saying is he wants Sceptile to be the only one (besides Grovyle) to be able to learn leaf blade and leafeon to never learn it.

Close. I just think Sceptile should be the BEST at HIS/HER Sig move. Its kinda like Dialga having Roar of Time when we all know Arcues could do it better....which suX 'cause if he could use Roar of Time, that would be true....

ayeeprill

Shorts Boy- my hero!
I like the split, but I find the categories extremely strange.

Archgemini24

Enter the Dragon.
I do not mind it so much. Sure it threw off some very popular movesets or even just individual moves on certain Pokemon, but it is nothing the playerbase cannot get around. Overall I think it was a good thing, as it let a few more Pokemon be reasonably viable.

Of the Pokemon of mine it hurt the most, my Charizard felt it. However, since he can get Swords Dance and Dragon Dance instead of moves like Growth and other Special Attack Boosters, it is only felt for a turn or two. HP Ice/Grass/Water are a lot more useful on him now, though (since if you run into something that is week to one of these, chances are it is going to one or two shot you, so you can still get some parting shots).

My Dragonite, however, is liking this. The other base-total 600 Pokemon (Tyrannitar, Salamence and Garchomp), are liking it even more, because their stats are more slanted toward what they already do well (on top of being faster in the case of the other dragons). Not this this really hurts them much, because both attacking stats are high enough for all of them that you can make them Special or Physical Sweepers pretty well.

Shadow chaser

Holla Front!
My Weezing is loving the split! Now I just run a Bold nature and focus on def, hp and sp. atk, no more worries about the EV investments for Fire Blast.

ben 118

DRAGON TRAINER
now my shiny gyarados (not hacked) has some good physical attacks. but my poor Alakazam has lost all his elemental punches

neo_senku

What I like about it is it made certain pokemon more useful like water types that had a good atk stat, but poor sp. atk stat.

One thing I dislike is that no physical equivalent was created for hidden power.

Miss_Pocket_Monster

The best thing this split did was to power up my Crawdaunt. The third generation was evil to her, but now that Crunch and Crabhammer are physical moves, she can do no wrong. ;342;

Unfortunately, the physical/special split has ruined Shadow Ball for me. I liked it so much more as a physical move. Ditto on Hidden Power.

Avrig

Like Wailords.
I found Physical/Special split now a way more logical than before, when they were dependent on moves types.
I like it more like this, and it makes things more interesting, since it's still a little new thing to be learn. I also think that it gives you a much more variety in moves with many pokémons than the old way. Definitely like it!

Displeased Owl

NCTH Leader
made the sneasel family viable in competitive play. however my least favourite thing would have to be how alakazam doesn't benefit from being a diverse sp. sweeper with the elemental punches. still the amount of pokemon that now do benefit from the punches compensates for that.

jwla

I also miss physical Sludge Bomb

Yes. I miss that, too. How the heck is Gunk Shot physical, but, Sludge Bomb isn't?

I love the physical/special split. It's worked out rather well for most Pokémon.

Status
Not open for further replies.